Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping Options

All you tent campers. I'm get'n tired of my air mattress. There's got to be something better. What are some of the things your sleeping on? My one requirement, is that your suggestions sleep 2. My wife needs a place to sleep, too. Thanks
    It was like that when I got here.

I don't know if they make a larger one (probably not?) but I'm thinking about picking up one of these, a "tentcot" http://www.tentcot.com/1.htm

I've heard a few folks say they really like these. But I don't think I like the shape of it when it's collapsed, seems like it might be an odd shape to store, a large flat square. I would prefer that it take a bit longer to put up and take down, and somehow collapse into a long round tube shape, seems like that might be easier to strap to a jeep.

Last edited by daniel_buck; 08-27-12, 11:05 PM.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Thanks Daniel, don't think that'll work for us, tho.

I bet that big flat square, would strap to your spare tire.

Comment

I sleep on a foam mattress.
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
          Thanks Daniel, don't think that'll work for us, tho.

I bet that big flat square, would strap to your spare tire.
          you know, I bet it would or maybe even to the top of the jeep on the soft top.
          [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
          www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

I still use an air mattress but I'm getting tired of it. My wife does not go on any of my trips so no worries there. I'm looking into a good cot. It will give me additional space underneath and I'm off the ground. My tent is made for the back of my truck so I am off the ground anyway but space is limited with the mattress I use.
            What about two cots?

Comment

Just to be clear. I'm happy with my tent. I'm just looking for an altenative to my air mattress only. My wife and I still enjoy cuddling. So, I need something that, our sleeping bag for 2, will fit on.

FishPoet, I tried to get a tent like yours. My wife didn't want to be that high. I like them.

Comment

Futons work. Also, foam mattresses are good. Futons are cheaper though.
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

[COLOR="darkred"]I think where you're going to run into problems is the portability of a different option. As you know, air mattress' will fold down to a small size and works well for storage/carry. Doug's Overland folds with the foam mattress inside it I believe. Tent options are quite limited. I had a roll up foam mattress about an inch thich while on active duty, but it was for me & my sleeping bag only. Not a couple.[/COLOR]
                  [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                  Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Maybe its just a matter of getting a better air mattress?

We have a WONDERFUL air mattress that we prefer to sleep on when visiting friends Its an AeroBed Dual zone mattress:

http://www.meijer.com/s/aerobed-dual...ds&cagpspn=pla

On a regular one chamber mattress, because he weighs more then me, he sleeps somewhat comfortably, and my side is too hard, or he ends up sleeping on the ground so that I can have a softer bed. With this bed, we can adjust both sides individually or sleep cuddled in the middle

BTW, this is a great price on it!

Tam
                    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                      My tent is made for the back of my truck so I am off the ground anyway but space is limited with the mattress I use.
                      I have the truck tent as well and I'm using this.
                      http://www.truckairbedz.com/
                      Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
                        Futons work. Also, foam mattresses are good. Futons are cheaper though.
                        I've never seen a camping futon. Link?

I'm not worried about how portable it is. My wife is only with me on base camp runs.

Tam, does that mattress have the built in pump? Do those built in pumps work well, get it tight enough?

Comment

Is the problem with your air mattress comfort, or inconvenience of carrying a pump? I actually prefer air mattresses' comfort to most other portable sleeping options and my wife and I only have a cheap $30 air mattress!
                          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                            Is the problem with your air mattress comfort, or inconvenience of carrying a pump? I actually prefer air mattresses' comfort to most other portable sleeping options and my wife and I only have a cheap $30 air mattress!
                            Most of my probs with the air mattress is what Tam, mentioned. I think a duel chamber mattress may be what we're looking for. When the air mattress is right, there's nothing better, short of a reg bed. I've had probs with the mattress not filling up tight enough. don't know if its my pump or the mattress. Lugging the pump around is not an issue.

Comment

I use a cot with a mat. I like being off the ground better. You can get double cots with mats or air mattresses.
                              IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Working...
                              X