Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip to Mammoth Mountain

I'm getting a week off next month and am dying to do some camping/fishing and general fun time activities. I've never been to Mammoth and someone said it's gorgeous. Anyways, does anyone have recommendations on where to go and what to do there? I'll be tenting it and have moderate camping equipment plus my jeep.... Looking at some fishing for my dinners and maybe a store with in driving range for odds and ends...
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

http://www.californiafishingonline.c...oth_lakes.html

Convict Lake,Twin Lakes, Lake Mary and the June Lake Loop will pretty much burn up a week real quick.

Comment

Laurel Lakes
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
        I'm getting a week off next month and am dying to do some camping/fishing and general fun time activities. I've never been to Mammoth and someone said it's gorgeous. Anyways, does anyone have recommendations on where to go and what to do there? I'll be tenting it and have moderate camping equipment plus my jeep.... Looking at some fishing for my dinners and maybe a store with in driving range for odds and ends...
        A week isn't long enough. Once your up there, you won't want to come back. If your going to do any hiking to some of the remote lakes, carry bug spray and a poncho with you. The weather can change from summer to winter in a heart beat. I found out first hand, Kevin.

Comment

I'm jealous. I love that area. Hope to go soon. Have fun
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
            I'm jealous. I love that area. Hope to go soon. Have fun
            [COLOR="darkred"]HEY! First you gotta take Barb and I up the Dusy.[/COLOR]
            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
              A good place to tent camp is up at McGee Creek which is a couple miles south of Convict Lake. You can spend a good part of a day taking the Laurel Lakes trail just south of Mammoth and just sight seeing. There is also Wheeler Ridge Mine Road which is just south of Tom's Place. This is a great Jeep trail and gets pretty challenging up in there but you can make it all the way to the edge and over look Bishop and the entire Owens Valley. There are also nice campgrounds along the Rock Creek Road up out of Tom's Place and a great little store is the Crowley Lake Store where you can get home made food as well as supplies. Go all the way up to Rock Creek Lake and go to the Pie In The Sky restaurant for some good pies and more. I go up to this area every year at least once and I love it up there. Enjoy it.

Comment

Big ben is a great camping spot,lee vinning ca, 395@120(entrance into yosmite) Gary the camp host will tell you where the fishing is great! Then Twin lakes (annetts mono village) is my favorte favorite camping spot,(just wish the had bear lockers)up 395 in the town of bridgeport,, Tent camping in the F section is fricken Awsome!!!!! Great fishing! Man i love this place!!! Last, Red meadows in mammoth is where im going in a few weeks, by devils post pile etc,i have never been there but my friend is the camp host also,so im going to try it out! Im always up to trying different camp spots! But nothing has come close to twin lakes, make sure its annetts mono village as there are a few twin lakes in Ca

http://www.monovillage.com/

Also June Lake loop (june lake campground) is the worst place i have ever camped in my 40 years of camping! Period! The people are very nice, the campground just plain sucks! Veryy Hot , no pine trees! Just large bushes. When i go to the mountains i like dark shady tall pine trees, that place on the south side of the lake just doesnt have that! My opinion!
                Last edited by AR5150EA; 08-27-12, 05:07 PM.

Comment

So how did it go? Post pics!
                  Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                  Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                  HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

I would recommend the campground at Convict Lake. There is good fishing in the lake and the creek. And a small store at the Convict Lake Resort. Second recommendation would be Tuff Camground across 395 from Tom's Place. The CG is situated right on Rock Creek.

Lots to to do in the Long Valley Caldera, hot springs, Indian petroglyphs, mining history, night life in Mammoth, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X