Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rustoleum paint SUCKS

About ten yrs ago I bought some poison spyder flat fenders and painted them up with some Krylon high gloss paint. Also have done my bumpers, stinger, cage... etc with krylon.

WELL, After all this time I decided to pull the fenders and hit em up again. I thought I'd do them with a textured finish. Looked good, durability kinda sucked so I stripped em down to bare metal, soap/water/dry... Then I cleaned them up with some MEK.

Ive spray painted stuff SO many times. I know that prep is 90% of the work so I did a great job...
    I then went to Lowes and all they had was Rustoleum and other paints that looked crappy. Then I went to HomeDepot. Same thing. So I went with Rustoleum since it seemed to be the more commercial looking brand. DOG CRAP! It didnt spray very well. Then it also ran. Lovely.. Chalked it up to me. Maybe I just sprayed it on to hard. Left it to dry for 3 days and then sanded it down a bit and hit it again. RAN AGAIN. After 3 run/dry issues it looked ok.
    I have left these fenders in the garage for nearly 2 wks. Today I went to put them on and they are pathetic in hardness. They are even still a bit tacky when in the sun. RIDICULOUS!

I'll strip em down and do this ONE more time with krylon. I'm starting to get pissed and just wanted to vent and let y'all now not to do any projects with Rustoleum. Probably ok for grandma's patio table but not your jeep!!!!

:thumbs_do
    Last edited by brokenujoint; 07-12-12, 04:06 PM.
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Interesting. All I use is Rustoleum. Everything black on my Jeep is semi gloss Rustoleum. I actually use Osh primer before hand. Like it so much I painted my trailer with the enamel stuff. They have held up well and never had issue with runs. Is it possible you got a bad can?
    Check out .

Comment

Rustoleum is the best imho. Satin black for anything bolted on if you ask me.

Comment

Bummer you had a hard time with it!

I had real good luck with the rustoleum "hammer finish" black paint, the paint & primer all-in-one type. Easy to use, and I didn't really even do much prep work (just cleaned the metal to get any oils off), and just sprayed one coat. Still looking good after over a year
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
        www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

I've had good luck with Rustoleum. I like it since it dries so fast. The one I've had repeated problems with not drying is X-O Rust. If you're waiting for that stuff to dry you'd might as well non-op your junk.

If it runs it means you're spraying it on too thick. Heat, humidity, etc., can all affect paints' performance. It's like laying down a weld bead, you have to watch the puddle.

I have always liked Krylon. You'd probably like their Rust Tough Enamel.
          holes = cowbell

Comment

I always use Rustoleum with good results.
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

If you used the gloss paint ,the paint is good, rustoleum's applicator tip sucks. Flat and semi-gloss shoot better. If you have to use the gloss rustoleum, spray from farther away than normal, do several light coats instead of one heavy.
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

well, surprisingly it seems like most of you guys like the stuff. It's almost like it's 1/2 the durability over krylon if you ask me. I'll be stripping it all down and trying it one more time before I throw in the towel and get em powder coated. Such a PITA for a simple re-paint job.
                1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Any rattle can works fine, stuff dont stay on my junk long anywho.
                  97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                  WEB site

Comment

Working...
                  X