Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bus Fire

If you drove up or down Hwy 330 this weekend, you probably noticed a LOT of yellow school buses on the highway. Snow Valley was hosting a Tough Mudder competition, and Snow Valley's parking lot was not big enough for all the contestants and spectators, so buses were provided to shuttle them to/from an overflow parking area at the bottom of the hill.

After leaving the Ol Swimming Hole on Saturday afternoon (see the separate post on that trip), I headed down the hill toward home. About a mile before reaching the forest boundary at the bottom of the hill, traffic slowed considerably. I rounded a bend and saw a yellow school bus pulled over in a turnout, and smoke was pouring out the back of it. There were about a dozen cars ahead of me. They drove past the burning bus, but by the time I got near the bus, I decided that the risk of an explosion was too great, so I pulled over (three other vehicles behind me were not as cautious and they pulled around me and drove past the burning bus). I realized that the 5B:C fire extinguisher in my Jeep was not going to be effective on the burning bus, so I waited and watched the action. It took a few minutes before the first fire vehicle responded, and I decided to take out my iPhone and snap some pictures.

This Forest Service vehicle was the first responder on the scene. They parked their vehicle on the other side of the burning bus and began an attack on the fire from that side of the bus.

This engine company was the next to arrive on the scene a few minutes later:

This video shows how stubborn the fire was. It looked like the fire was knocked down about one minute into the video, but as the smoke cleared, more flames became visible. Click on the picture to launch the video:

Last edited by Russ Chung; 07-09-12, 03:44 AM.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Russ, you didn't have to do that just because they refused to give you their lunch money!

Comment

Hopefully there were not any injuries.

btw Russ, is that a ding in your front windshield.

Comment

I'm surprised those tires still seem to be holding air.
        holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
          Hopefully there were not any injuries.

btw Russ, is that a ding in your front windshield.
          AFAIK, everyone got out of the bus safely and there were no injuries. No ambulance or paramedics responded to the fire. Yes, that is one of several dings on my windshield; that one is the largest one. Over the past few years, I have had all of them repaired by Safelite Auto Glass at no charge to me (USAA Insurance paid for each of the repairs and they waived the deductible).

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
          I'm surprised those tires still seem to be holding air.
          Yes, I was surprised that the tires did not burn and/or explode. There were many loud "popping" noises which I guess came from the glass breaking.
          If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
          KI6MLU

Comment

We had stopped in Running Springs to see a friend and then had dinner on the hill before heading down. Even after all that time, the traffic still came to a stop to look at the burnt carcass of the bus. Russ, you had great/horrible timing on this one. Thanks for posting this up.
            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
            [/COLOR]

Comment

Saw the remains of the fire on the side of the road coming down the hill on Sunday and wondered what got cooked.

Comment

[COLOR="darkred"]Awww Russ... why'd ya do it!!??[/COLOR]
                [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post

Ya know.... he did have a front row seat for all of the pics and video.... Hummmmm......
                  [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                  Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                  [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post

bawhahahaha... Nick you are always on your toes.

Sweet pics, Russ. Quite an interesting thing to see!
                    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Working...
                    X