Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How not to change a fuel filter

Well since I wanted to stay around home this weekend I decided to perform maintenance on all the family vehicles. I started with my dads Suzuki and that went fine except wondering why it has a gigantic 19mm bolt for a drain plug.

I moved on to my mothers grand Cherokee, and like a moron I forgot to depressurize the fuel system before pulling the fuel lines of the filter. So I applied to much pressure and slammed my hand against a sharp edge when the line came off giving my self a nasty cut on the back of my hand which I did not notice because I managed to also spray gasoline into my ear, and let me tell you that hurts alot, I thought gas in the eyes was painful, this is worse. I rolled out from under the car and stumbled my way to the garden hose because apparently when your ear is f%#& up your balance goes to crap. Anyways I cleaned my ear out really well and after a little while the burning went away and every thing pretty much came back to normal.

So learn from my mistake, remember to depressurize the fuel system and wear ear plugs when spraying gasoline in your face. (If you can avoid spraying gas in your face that might be a good Idea as well)

Damn,i've had bad days under the hood but....wow.Hope your ok and got your ear flushed out good
    Dennis and Tammy
    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Wow, that sounds bad. How do you typically depressurize the system? What I've done is remove the fuel pump relay and run the motor until it dies. Then turn it over for another 30 seconds or so. Is that standard procedure or are there other ways?
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
        Wow, that sounds bad. How do you typically depressurize the system? What I've done is remove the fuel pump relay and run the motor until it dies. Then turn it over for another 30 seconds or so. Is that standard procedure or are there other ways?
        I usually do the same thing except I remove the fuel cap as well. My own dumb mistake, to busy thinking of other things instead of what I was doing.

Comment

First, I'm really glad you're OK....but damn if that didn't make me laugh out loud sitting in my cubicle at work. Thanks for sharing ...and the for the chuckle !
          Jeep Girl

Comment

Originally posted by hollywood32 View Post
            Well since I wanted to stay around home this weekend I decided to perform maintenance on all the family vehicles. I started with my dads Suzuki and that went fine except wondering why it has a gigantic 19mm bolt for a drain plug.

I moved on to my mothers grand Cherokee, and like a moron I forgot to depressurize the fuel system before pulling the fuel lines of the filter. So I applied to much pressure and slammed my hand against a sharp edge when the line came off giving my self a nasty cut on the back of my hand which I did not notice because I managed to also spray gasoline into my ear, and let me tell you that hurts alot, I thought gas in the eyes was painful, this is worse. I rolled out from under the car and stumbled my way to the garden hose because apparently when your ear is f%#& up your balance goes to crap. Anyways I cleaned my ear out really well and after a little while the burning went away and every thing pretty much came back to normal.

So learn from my mistake, remember to depressurize the fuel system and wear ear plugs when spraying gasoline in your face. (If you can avoid spraying gas in your face that might be a good Idea as well)
            Long time ago I had this happen when a leaking hose dripped some gasoline in my ear. I can attest that it hurts something fierce and really messes with your equilibrium. Not fun at all.

Comment

Working...
            X