Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with a truck and flatbed trailer willing to help me tow an old CJ home?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess they do that so that you can't quickly sign up when you all of a sudden need to tow your vehicle from Moab to Los Angeles and then cancle your membership and get a 700 mile tow for $60. LOL
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
      I guess they do that so that you can't quickly sign up when you all of a sudden need to tow your vehicle from Moab to Los Angeles and then cancle your membership and get a 700 mile tow for $60. LOL
      Well, I think that's :poop:
      Jeep Girl

Comment

Maybe that's it. I have been with AAA for over 40 some years.
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Yea you have to be a member for a year before you can get plus or higher membership.Sign up now with basic which I have used before and after year get the plus. Daniel if you pull the coil wire it wont run so how is that lying. Lookin at an old jeep like that I wouldn't expect it to run either. Your going to pay someone over $100 in fuel not including the $60 trailer rental ~$20 food and drinks and probably more fuel. Just pay the differnce ~$100 or less this year and get your free 100 mile tow. Its not like you didnt pay for it. Its like insurance some people use it some dont. Afterwards you still have one tow left I believe maybe 2 I dont remember.

Comment

Nah, I just don't feel right doing that, knowing that the jeep is fully drivable. And if they knew that they probably wouldn't tow it.
            [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

Daniel,
              I have a truck, if we can flat tow it and I don't go to the Long Beach Grand Prix that day I'll help you out. Find a trailer and we are golden.

Comment

sending you a PM

Comment

Somewhat relevant to your dilemma, this contraption should help make it towable behind your Rubicon. Not cheap, but it will greatly improve the amount of fun you can have with it. If the fella you are buying it from could install that and a tow bar you could tow it straight home with your Rubi. It isn't cheap, but will pay for it self rather quickly

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brak.../T4813100.html

Comment

So I'm revisiting the idea of towing the CJ with my TJ. Right now I don't have a tow hitch on my TJ. I'm not sure if my setup (gas tank skid, bumper with frame tie-ins) would alow for a standard add-on hitch receiver to be bolted up to the frame. I could buy one, and worst case have to return it because it won't work with my setup.

But anyway, I've been doing alot of reading on this, and most people advise against flat towing a CJ with a short wheel base vehicle like a TJ. But I'd like to revisit the idea of towing it once more before I give up on it.

Flatbed towing is out, I don't have a place to put a flatbed. A tow-dolly would probably be an acceptable, as I could put that in the garage. Flat towing, I'm hearing alot of folks say that the vehicle behind the TJ will tend to push the rear end around while turning. I'm wondering if a Tow-Dolly would help with this? If I go the route of towing with my TJ, I would probably upgrade the brakes on the TJ, and either get a Dolly with electric brakes. But I'm still concerned with the handling, if a tow dolly would push the TJ around less than flat towing would?

I'd really like to start getting the CJ out to some trails, but I'm not willing to drive it for 3-4+ hours straight one way (avoiding freeways!), and I don't have room to get a dedicated tow vehicle (nor do I really want to do that).

So, what would be the safest option, assuming I can get a good hitch on the back of my TJ? What would it take to make it a safe tow vehicle? or should the idea just be abandoned?
                    Last edited by daniel_buck; 10-26-12, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Your biggest concern is brakes if you can slow the cj with a brake controller then there is no reason why you cannot tow it.
                      So either a tow dolly with brakes or a fancy brake setup on the CJ that gives it brakes will do just fine. Neither setup is cheap, but both will work

Comment

Art, how well do you think one of those brake controllers would work on a vehicle that doesn't have power brakes, like the CJ?

Oh well actually I guess no vehicle would have power brakes, since the vehicle in tow wouldn't be running. I guess it would be just fine then, eh?

Comment

From what I understand those hydraulic/electric brakes have their own pump motor so they make a fair amount of pressure.
                          When towing newer cars the power brakes wouldn't work either. I am pretty sure the fancy setup works well just 1K is a bit much for it.
                          You might be better of with a used car dolly with electric brakes.

Comment

The CJ weight is only 2000 - 2200lbs, have you tryed it out with TJ?
                            Dennis and Tammy
                            Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Short wheel base towing short wheel base is an adventure if the towed vehicle gets out of sorts. The towed car can get away from you quickly and the tow vehicle as well. Ever had someone cut you off in your Rubi? how much fun is that? Now add another Jeep on a tow bar to the mix. On side streets no biggie but on the highway at speed it can get dicey. But don't you drive a Jeep because you crave adventure?
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Art, yea I guess either way I go I'll be spending a chunk of change. I wish I had a bigger driveway, I'd pick up an F250 with a flatbed and be done with it! I'd haul the Willys where ever I want to go. Damn you Los Angeles and your limited space!! *shakes fist wildly in the air*

Dennis, no I've not tried towing it with my TJ yet, because I don't have a hitch yet. That's what I'm debating, if I should get a hitch to try this or not. The brakes on the TJ have been upgraded, but not Vanco big brake. It's better than stock though. I have no problems stopping my TJ on a dime with 35s, but I don't know how it would feel with another 2000+ pounds behind me.

Kurt, you know I like adventure, that's why I drive a Willys every day to work :gun:, and my TJ takes me across the whole country every year in the winter for Christmas. :wink: My TJ probably as more miles on it than the CJ does, but I can't verify that. haha!
                                Last edited by daniel_buck; 10-26-12, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X