Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cherocar, err kee... Trail Thoughts?

Well folks, maybe it's the lack of caffiene today, or maybe it's just the fact I haven't wheeled in a few weeks but... I'm debating on selling my YJ and looking at a Cherokee. I guess I'm mostly wanting to have a little longer wheel base, and more interior room.

My biggest questions though are:

How do they really perform on the trail? -- I've seen some do really well, but I almost never see any out on the rough, technical stuff.

Are they just as easy to work on? -- One thing about my YJ, it's plug and play. I'm able to do all the work on it myself.

I dunno. Just a random thought perhaps, but maybe I'm also thinking a bit further ahead for kids and such.

Thanks for any insight from those of you who know.
    USMC F&AM

I would go with a cherokee if I were you. The more room is a real plus. The longer wheel base makes them climb better. We did pumpkin eater this weekend and the Cherokee and a stretch TJ both walked right up the waterfall and the two stock WB TJ's had to work at it. They are both the same to work on. Also make sure you get an automatic.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Thank you for the input on it Curtis. Ya, if I get one I'm hoping to get one with an auto and air for sure, the Az heat killed me last summer.

Anyone have any idea of how much lift is needed to run 35s with full articulation? I've been reading/guessing about 6.5" to 8". Does this sound about right to anyone?
      USMC F&AM

Comment

4.5"-5.5" with cut/trimmed fenders.
        -Justin

Comment

You can also sleep in the back . Maybe I should sell my jeep and buy one.
          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Problem with the Cherokee/XJ is that after a few years of hard wheelin the Unibody starts coming apart, unless you do some serious work on the body/frame to stiffen and brace things up

Comment

If you do hard wheeling they all start to fall apart. You did a lot of (nice) work to your jeep ot keep it together. I don't think Chris is going to do alot of hard (Hammers) wheeling. Don't they build kits for that kind of thing?

Comment

There are some frame stiffeners on the market, seems like more than a few XJ wheelers just run them in the ground then swap stuff over to the next one and continue on

Comment

I had a 98 XJ for many years and it was the best Jeep I've had....except maybe my new 2012 JK. I would recommend the Rubicon Express long arm suspention. I had the 5.5" and it worked awesome. If they still made the XJ thats what I would be driving.

For 35's you do have to do some fender trimming. The motor is the same as the TJ's and the trans is tons better. As far as performance the XJ has some advantage because of the wheel base. The main disadvantage over the Wrangler is the body exposure.

Last edited by mkjeepers; 02-20-12, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                    There are some frame stiffeners on the market, seems like more than a few XJ wheelers just run them in the ground then swap stuff over to the next one and continue on
                    Well they seem to be pretty cheap. so that would work.

Comment

I have both, a TJ and an XJ. The XJ is nice for the space, and wheelbase, but take a bit more money to get them to perform like a wrangler. If you're going to run hammer trails, it's gonna cost ya. Like Art said, you'll be looking at frame stiffeners, cross braces etc because the XJ doesn't have a real frame like the wranglers do. My XJ is my DD and is on 35" tires. I have an 8.8 in the rear with CroMo shafts and a detroit, and cromo shafts in the front HP 30 but I've left it open. My XJ has been on John bull, Holcomb, and a few others... Nothing too wild but still a good time.

www.inlandjeepfreeks.com

Comment

Chris, park next to an XJ in your YJ. You'll see that the XJ doesn't take up much more real estate, but the convenience of four doors and unquestionably more interior room (and creature comforts) make them look pretty appealing. Looking at your future intent, it seems you're on the right track. Look for one with the HP 30 in front and preferrably the 44 out back and you'll be set. Best part is you won't have to get used to the shape of the headlights.
                        God forgives, rocks don't
                        -sons of thunder

Comment

You can't get rid of the Kia!

I'd imagine that it would be cheaper to link and stretch the YJ than to buy a Cherokee and do all of the work needed to get it to survive the trails you like to run. Art makes a good point about most Cherokees needing to be put out to pasture after a few years of running hard trails.

I was about 25 minutes too late to the dealership or I would have owned a Cherokee (someone else was signing the paperwork on the one I went to look at.) I ended up getting my TJ and have never regretted it. My youngest has grown up not knowing any other vehicle for me. Been in it almost every day of his life. Yes, there are times when I could use more space, but that's why the wife has a minivan

I think a good start would be to do some reading up on what is truly needed to make a Cherokee survive and weigh that cost against what could be done to the YJ for the same cost.
                          "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Thanks for all the thoughts gents. I've been looking around on CL and E-Bay and it looks like I can pick up a fairly well built Cherokee for less than $7500, now while that's not a drop in the bucket for a couple getting married it's fairly affordable for a toy the whole family can enjoy.

I think Curtis has me pegged right, I won't be doing Hammer trails unless it's in the passenger seat. I like to run some pretty difficult and technical trails but I think (I'm saying this now) that I'd rather keep my rig mildly built to keep the border line Mod-Difficult trails tough for me, but doable.

The body damage issue has crossed my mind, simply because if I'm going to buy something with 4 doors I want to keep it looking nice. I think I'd have a hard time giving it the same "It's a Jeep" mentality I applied to my YJ. I had indeed forgot about the unibody on the XJs and while I think it would be nice to have the creature comforts maybe an LJ or (cringe) a 4 door JK Rubi might be good for my family needs in the future.

If that's the route I end up going maybe I will be out on the Hammers with my YJ. By the time it's ready for Hammer Trails though (as I heard a guy on Hulu say) "That thing couldn't have more body damage if you sicked an pack of gorillas with sledge hammers on it".

Oh! Justin, we have a 2WD Xterra already.
                            USMC F&AM

Comment

Well a LJ or a JK is a whole different story. It's all about how much money you want to spend for that extra room.

Comment

Working...
                              X