Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plinking with a .22 rifle

I am not sure how this works in CA, in MI we would just go to "the farm" or some other empty field and go shooting. Where can I take my jeep on a trail ride and do a little target practice with my little ruger 10/22 (or anything else)?

Use to go to hodge road off the 15 years ago but I have seen signs "No shooting allowed" after they put that cell sight up years ago. Not sure it was legal back then either. Id say out in the desert far away from anyone or your local shooting range is your best bet. Like to set up a Jeep bring your guns run sometime if we could find a good place. Of course safety is most definatly important. Btw My dads farm in missourri at age 13 is where I shot my first gun a .22 lol.

Comment

There are (4) open shooting areas in the San Bernardino National Forest. Always check with the Ranger Station, as we close them depending on fire danger levels.

Forest Road 1N09 East of Highway 330 (OPEN - Low Fire Danger)
      Forest Road 3N14 North of Highway 38 (OPEN - Low Fire Danger)
      Forest Road 2N02 East of Baldwin Lake Road (OPEN - Low Fire Danger)
      Forest Road 5S07 North of Highway 74 (OPEN - Low Fire Danger)
      Jeff
      OHV76V
      KG6TY
      You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

http://www.muck-boy.com/Shooting%20R...nge%20Page.htm
        1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Going to ranges can be fun, but I miss going out in the wild and just shooting. A jeep run would be fun, all the MJR people I have met seem to be pretty responsible. I have known some people in my life that I definitely wouldn't want to go shooting with! I learned at 13 at YCMA camp on their range. The instructor put a hole in a quarter, we were amazed!

I will check out those areas in SBNF.

Comment

Thanks for that link of ranges...no shortage there!

Comment

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/recshoot.html

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...narea_8x11.pdf
              Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Jonah, PM sent

Comment

Originally posted by jonah View Post
                  Going to ranges can be fun, but I miss going out in the wild and just shooting. A jeep run would be fun, all the MJR people I have met seem to be pretty responsible.
                  I agree, I liked how it was in Louisiana and Arizona, you pretty much just find a desolate area with a good backstop, and shoot there. I'd love to go on a 'plinking run' sometime My rifles hardly ever get used out here, the ranges are usually way to crowded for what I like.
                  [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                  www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

I love shooting my 10-22. My son has been bugging me to go out on a camp, trail, shoot trip (he just finished building his AR). Barstow is what I was thinking. Whats near that, Calico, Petroglyphs, Fire opal mine.....
                    Come to the dark side.....
                    We have Cookies!

Comment

Hi Jonah--a small group of us from MJR just got back from Calico. I took my Ruger 10/22, Mossberg 500 12 gage and between one other wheeler there and myself we also had (2) 9mm handguns, we set up some targets and had a good time shooting Sunday morning right from camp. Someday when I finish my AR-15 build I’ll take it out to Calico and shoot it.

We should hook up sometime and go wheeling and shooting out there, we had a really good time out this last weekend. I haven’t yet met an MJR member that I wouldn’t want to hang out on a trail and later go shoot some targets with. :gun:

Comment

Rule of thumb - anything rural north of the 58 is pretty well legal. There are some shotgun only areas west of the 15 on Hodge, with a 1/2 bore limit = no slugs. Check with BLM first. Other than that, Oregon Neveda and Arizona are your best options.
                        God forgives, rocks don't
                        -sons of thunder

Comment

I have a place we can go, private property, can shoot any thing, just no full auto. its close to the 15 and 138 freeway. Can make a sunday run
                          The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Thanks for all of the input. I want to go out soon, but it probably won't be for a couple of months now. I am starting a big project that will take all of my free time for a bit. As soon as I wrap up the project I will be looking to go out!

Comment

Working...
                            X