Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Jeep trip to the Havasupai Indian Reservation

I had the chance to go to the Havasupai Indian Reservation Oct 1 to the 3rd. If you are familiar with this place, there are pools of water so blue it almost looks fake. You can day hike it but that would be a 20 mile round trip and you couldn't enjoy the scenery. To camp there, you need a reservation, no pun intended, as the tribe only allows a limited number of people a day to camp.
    So, after a some planning and backpack gear finding, my brother-in-law, his co-worker, both from Las Vegas, and I arrived at the Hualapai Hilltop which is located 60 miles north of Peach Springs, AZ off of Route 66.
    You will have to leave your vehicle in the parking lot as there are only 3 ways to see the falls. Helicopter, horseback, or a 10 mile hike. The last way being the cheapest. We chose to hike. We wanted to leave right at dawn as to avoid the heat of the day. Since no tent camping is allowed in the parking lot we slept in our cars. That is an overrated experience. I was going to sleep in the bed of my truck but the wind was blowing pretty strong that night and the temps were getting a bit chilly.
    The next morning we woke to this view
    Started down the canyon and after 1.5 miles, I looked back from were we started

We found a direction sign pointing us to the indian village of Supai.

After 8 long miles with we came to the village.
    A mile and a quarter past the villiage we found our first waterfall.

A little futher and we hit the 2nd waterfall and what a site this is. This is called Havasu Falls.

We found the perfect campsite that was right on the creek,

The two main falls that people come to see is Havasu Falls and Mooney Falls, named for an old prospector that fell to his death trying to save his friend that had fallen. The only way to get to the base of Mooney Falls is through a couple of tunnels, some chain ropes, and ladders.

first of 2 tunnels

Chains bolted to the side to help your climb down.

Ladders, note the broken rung

This is what the whole thing looks like.

At the bottom of that climb, you get this. A 200' tall waterfall dropping 1100 gallons of water per minute.
    This thing was loud.

Note the My Jeep Rocks shirt on that guy. Got to represent.

There is another set of falls 4 miles past Mooney Falls called Beaver Falls. But after the flash flood back in 2008 that stranded a bunch of people in the canyon, the trail past Mooney was washed out. We were advised against atempting the hike. If another flash flood came, we could possibly get cut off. We did have some thunder storms and rain the night before so we didn't go. Just means I have to go back during the spring time months.
    A trip well worth the hike. We paid for a mule pack to take our backpacks out the next day as I still had a 7 hour drive home ahead of me and after all the hiking and climbing, I was pooped.
    Last edited by Jason; 10-05-11, 09:33 PM.

That place place is beautiful Jason. You weren't kidding about the water. Thanks
    Check out .

Comment

OMG !!! That is Amazing! What an adventure! Gorgeous! I love the fact that you had to rough it so much..that's something that so has my name on it in the future. Did you post that up? Post up next one!
      Jeep Girl

Comment

Hey, where is your backpack? Those are fantastic photos!!! This just got on my list of things to do.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Remember I told you my BIL wanted to have mules pack them out. I'm not stupid. The mule could take 150 pounds whether my pack was on there or not. Trust me, I was so glad I didn't have that pack on my back for that last 1.5 miles up. Well worth it the price.
          Some of the photos from the hike are when we where leaving and I said, wait, I want this shot. So no packs.
          Mooney falls is at the very edge of the campground. For us it was a quarter mile hike to get there. All the packs were left at the campsite.
          Like I said, I want to go back again. I was told that the water color changes during the seasons. More Blue/Green during the Spring thaw versus Green/Blue in the Fall. I will have to see for my self.
          For those that don't like roughing it, there is a 22 room lodge but that is in the middle of the village.

Comment

Looks like a great trip. Too bad I don't hike.
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
              Remember I told you my BIL wanted to have mules pack them out. I'm not stupid. The mule could take 150 pounds whether my pack was on there or not. Trust me, I was so glad I didn't have that pack on my back for that last 1.5 miles up. Well worth it the price.
              Some of the photos from the hike are when we where leaving and I said, wait, I want this shot. So no packs.
              Mooney falls is at the very edge of the campground. For us it was a quarter mile hike to get there. All the packs were left at the campsite.
              Like I said, I want to go back again. I was told that the water color changes during the seasons. More Blue/Green during the Spring thaw versus Green/Blue in the Fall. I will have to see for my self.
              For those that don't like roughing it, there is a 22 room lodge but that is in the middle of the village.
              Mules were the right way to go. I'd have done the same thing given the opportunity. Did you have mules in both directions?
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

We utilized the mules both ways. I was upset at first cause I wanted to do the trip with the pack and get the whole experience. It wasn't until we got to the hilltop when my BIL suggested we do that. I had to repack my pack to make sure I wasn't going to lose anything since my pack was going on a mule. We thought that we would still have to pack the 2 miles from the village to the campsite. Turns out they take all your stuff to the campsite. I'll get my chance one day for a long backpacking trip. It may sound fun but I'm sure it's a pain. But afer seeing the fourth person of our party after he got there on Sun with his 40# pack on, I think we made the right decision.

Comment

Wow - gorgeous spot and great pics! That looks like a wonderful trip. Thanks for posting!
                  :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Working...
                  X