Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The lost coast

So my search did not pull up much of any thing to help.

Any one on here familiar with this section of California or be able to direct me to information that might help me navigate the road? Can't remember where I had seen it posted, but some one did a trip report on it some where. The area is absolutely amazing and plan on making a trip up north with out using I-5.

Thanks,
    Josh
    Build it right the first time.

Just one more search online and what did I find?
    http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...ngeGreyMap.pdf

Any other additional info would be appreciated.

Comment

Holy cow, I went there alot with the fam when I was kid, but hadn't thought about King in a long long time. I'd love to go back. I remember the beaches more than anything. It's a long drive from here too. Hope you get the info you need to go.
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Hey Josh,
        Check this out. Might be of some help.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/arcat.../krncamap.html

Scott

Comment

Josh, Are you doing this anytime soon??
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger.. How are ya? I will be making this trip possibly 3 weeks from now. It totally revolves around how long it takes for the bank to finish the sale of my house, sell some stuff, then get on the road. Not going the most direct route either. I have never made it to Yosemite, so I will be heading up the 395 to cut through and hopefully camp a night there. I have family around the Sacramento area. If there happen to be any extra Jeeps along for the trip I would probably just meet up with my Aunt and Uncle for lunch then carry on to maybe the Fort Bragg area for a night before hitting the Lost Coast. You want to go for a drive? If any one else is interested I will probably have some info when I will be leaving early next week.
            Only thing is this might slow us down a little bit.

Though the wing reduces resistence and improves mileage.

Comment

We are up in the area right now and took the Lost Coast road from Ferndale to Shelter Cove yesterday. It is basically a rough asphalt road through some really nice coastal farms and trees. You do go along the beach, but only in a couple of places. We did not take any of the 4WD roads that are marked. Looks like some go to interesting places, tho. By 4WD I believe they mean dirt roads. There are plenty of hiking trails along this area. Ferndale is a really neat dairy town with a lot of great Victorian homes and a nice town. Shelter Cove looks like it is in a bad financial state. Lots of homes and businesses for sale. Not that there is much business there to start with. The only food place open for lunch was at the campground store/deli. We did have really good food there....turkey sandwich for the wife and a great patty melt for me.

Lots of great scenery up here....enjoy your trip.
              Rich

Comment

Thanks for the input Ol Man.. I found a post from a Lexus "wheeler" and was not sure how to take it, sounded like it coult be difficult. Hopefully I can get the Rubicon down the bumpy road, guess it should be no big deal as long as I get through before it is wet. Just got a map in the mail today that I ordered. I will be taking the Lost Coast from the Sinkyone through the King range. Look forward to seeing a place I have never been.

Comment

Working...
                X