Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backpacking

Would someone recommend a decent backpack for me please? At the end of Sept, I am going to hike down to Havasu Falls in Arizona. We will be camping and I will have to haul in clothes, tent, and sleeping bag. The Jeep can't go.
    My brother in law is trying to get a room at the lodge but if I'm going to hike 10 miles to this area, I want to experience it all. Why not. This place has been on my bucket list for a while. I think someone on this board has done this trip.
    I need to get my 10 mile legs in shape. I don't think the trip down is too hard. It's the uphill on the way back.

I've only used a few packs so it’s hard for me to make a comparison. But I bought this one when it was on sale for $55 shipped. I thought it was such a good price I would use it for a trip and pass it on if I didn't like it. I have been very happy with it. It’s very adjustable. It’s comfortable on me and I’ve loaned it to by buddy who is 6'2" and he was able to adjust it to fit him comfortably too.

My $2.00(adjusted for inflation)
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

And Jason if you are in the area ive got a ton of backpackin gear you can make use of. Your welcome to it but youve got to pick it up.
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Thanks Scott, I may take you up on your offer.
        Looking at the one you pointed out, I can only imagine me falling with the pack full and getting stuck like a turtle. I was just going to either rent something or look at Craigslist. I'm sure people have bought these with all intentions of using them and then don't. I don't forsee many trips like this for me in the near future. Just this one now.

Comment

Osprey Aether 60 Pack
          I have this one and LOVE it. It is super light, forms perfectly to your body with no extra movement etc. When are you going Jason? I may be able to loan you some gear if you need.
          I'll be doing a pack in the second week of August. 10-17 so as long as it isnt crossing those dates we may be able to work something out.
          Be mindful of the clothes you are packing. There is no need for a complete change of clothes every day on a pack trip. Just go stinky. Weght is critical in your pack.

Dry some food and pack light.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Thanks Erik. I may have found a Craigslist score. I'm going to check it out this weekend. While there are only a few packs offered on Craigslist, I don't believe backpacking items are in heavy demand like size 35 MTR's.
            We had to make reservations as this place only allows 200 something people per day. Our trip is planned Oct 1-3. Drive out on the 30th of Sept and hike down on the 1st. Spend Sunday hiking to the 3 or 4 waterfalls then hike out the next day.
            I appreciate the tips on the clothes and food. MRE's and other light snacks and things. Water alone will be my heaviest item I believe. I have a small pup tent that should tie up quite nice.
            It is kind of funny as there are one way trips out available on horses for those who decide that they can't make it back up. Gawd I hope I don't wuss out and use that.

Aug 10-17, hmm.... Your annual fishing trip?

Comment

Jason, I have done a fair bit of packing for many years. 2 years ago I sprung for some good equipment for myself and the rest of the family.
              MRE's are not the best pack food. You might consider dehydrating some chili of your own, and some spaghetti sauce. You'll know what you are getting when you open the baggie. I dehydrate about 2 gallons of spaghetti sauce before our hikes with 7+ people each year and it feeds all of us for a night and there is some left for the bears.

Dont pack all of your water in... You must have either a pump filter or a "SteriPen" or both. Be sure you each have a filter of sorts for water as one might break and you'll be screwed.

Consider the weight of everything you purchase for your pack trip before anything else. 10 miles is a nice hike especially if there are some hills involved. Our hikes are generally at 8-10,000 feet, and it really takes it out of you to complete.

Get a pair of pants that unzip into shorts, a performance shirt, light rain jacket and plan to layer rather than humping in a coat. Good socks and great hiking boots are critical.

You are welcome to come by and look at the junk I chose for my hiking and see what you think.

Oh, and yes... This is our annual Huntington lake hike and fishing trip. Time to whip out the fly rod in the back woods for some naturals. :-)

Be sure to have some "moleskin" in your pack. Buy your boots now and break them in nicely long before the trip.
              Last edited by NAILER341; 07-20-11, 09:22 AM.
              ERIK

Comment

I used both a MSR water pump/filter and a Steripen. The Steripen works on a few little bacteria that the pump does not. And I wouldn't say I am found of the "Mountain Meals" freezdryed food but I usually cary these.
                Check out this site for some good hiking info.:hide:LMAO
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                  LOL- Now you went and did it!
                  ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                    Be sure to have some "moleskin" in your pack. Buy your boots now and break them in nicely long before the trip.
                    Whenever we had a 5 mile or longer hump, we would put on a pair of dress socks before the boot socks. Make sure they're fairly new. The dress socks will stay on your foot, but allow movement with the boot sock.
                    God forgives, rocks don't
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                      I used both a MSR water pump/filter and a Steripen. The Steripen works on a few little bacteria that the pump does not. And I wouldn't say I am found of the "Mountain Meals" freezdryed food but I usually cary these.

Sorry. That web site is blocked.

I actally have the "Mountain Meals" in my survival kit. I take them on trips to rotate them out. Let's just say you wont starve with these.

Comment

Check this site for some do it yourself dehydrating.
                        http://www.backpackingchef.com/index.html

I'll be doing a recipe or 2 this week for my trip. It is good for at least 2 months. Up to a year if you vacuum seal it. (meat)
                        ERIK

Comment

All of this is very good advice. The only thing I can say is to take some weight/bulk with you when you go to look at the back packs. I have found that while one brand or model fits one person great and they rave about it, it may not fit the next person(you ) as well or comfortably. Once you do get a pack spend the time now playing with all the adjustments to get it set right before you head down the trail. Most recommend having it so the weight is all on your hips and the shoulder straps just to keep close to your body. I am one of those exceptions, since all my "packing" was with Military packs and for some reason I never had a frame so it always rode on my shouders. First time I tried a real pack adjusted on hips as it tore me up. Now anytime I have to put on my military pack I cringe even though they have gotten much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikeman View Post
                            Most recommend having it so the weight is all on your hips and the shoulder straps just to keep close to your body. I am one of those exceptions, since all my "packing" was with Military packs and for some reason I never had a frame so it always rode on my shouders. First time I tried a real pack adjusted on hips as it tore me up. Now anytime I have to put on my military pack I cringe even though they have gotten much better.
                            I know what you mean. I've always carried packs on the shoulders. I too have had to adjust to the hip loading set up. It's wierd. Mine is the Coyote 4500 ST. Very nice, very comfy and light weight. Jason, I have a small pack stove and some other stuff if you want to check it out.
                            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Sarah should create a link for back packing. Some good info here from wheelers. Little bit o green is us eh?
                              97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                              WEB site

Comment

Working...
                              X