Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• see them while you can

Ive never been to the cabins in the rattlesnake canyon area but i found out at least a few of them are planned to be removed soon. are these real historic buildings or just resently built junk?

http://www.fs.fed.us/nepa/fs-usda-po...?project=33928

edit...more reseach. looks like they may be talking about the nice place with the crane? I know there are some modern camp looking things out there and i thought it might be those. It would stink to loose the real mining camp even if its in bad shape. ill have to get out there soon to see it
    Last edited by troyboy162; 06-19-11, 12:05 AM.
    KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

I'm sure this is the mining camp with the old crane. It's fallen into total disrepair. As much as I hate to admit it, it probably should be torn down before some asswipe tourches it and starts a big wildfire. The project specs say that it's within the wilderness area. I thought it was just outside of it. The wilderness border is not well defined in that area.

The specs also say that no motorized equipment may be used to demolish the structures or haul the debries away. That will be one very expensive project.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

thats a bummer to hear. older pictures show it as a pretty good looking place.

I just checked and my google earth files show the crane site is outside the border as well by 1/4 mile. maybe its charlies cabin they are after? either way ive got to get out there soon and explore. sounds like ive already waited too long on the mine camp.

the not using motorized equipment part is an odd piece of the puzzle. I cant think of anything out there that dosnt already have a well established "unoffical" road going to it. like you say, doing it by hand will be extreme unless they are just going to controled burn the places.

Comment

Doing it by hand will waste even more of our tax dollars. Hope that they find something more important to do than this project. Too bad. And I have yet to find ANYONE who can clearly define the wilderness boundries in that area, even on the maps.

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
          And I have yet to find ANYONE who can clearly define the wilderness boundries in that area, even on the maps.
          That's easy - Anywhere a Prius can't get to is now officially wilderness. Especially if you enjoy it.
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
            That's easy - Anywhere a Prius can't get to is now officially wilderness. Especially if you enjoy it.
            HA! Nominated for quote of the month!
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I second that nomination!
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

I vote for it as well; motion passed.
                USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                  Got it covered man:

Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                  Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                  HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy162 View Post
                    thats a bummer to hear. older pictures show it as a pretty good looking place.
                    Here is a shot from a few weeks ago.

Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

wow that last winters snow must have killed it.thanks for the pics! Im might be headed out to visit all the structures in the area on july 3rd.

Comment

Working...
                      X