Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Want A Boat

Hey there guys, I am thinking about buying a cheap used boat for my son and I to go fishing this summer. The wife would probably tag along and read some books, but no fishing for her. I know nothing about boats as far as what I should be watching out for when I go to look at a used boat. I dont want to buy a boat and get on the water and realize I made a mistake. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

Chuck
    I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Boats don't do well stored in the desert! I've owned a few. You might just want to rent one at Big Bear lake to try it out and see if it's truly something you want to do. They are fun but very high maintenance. Pontoon boats make great family & fishing boats
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

When we go out we usually rent a pontoon or a small fishing boat depending on how many people we have with us....Pontoon boats seem somewhat pricey.

Comment

Bring
        On
        Another
        Thousand
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Ok I think I will take the hints and rent the boat when we go out instead of buying one. After reviewing some things on the internet it seems it would be more trouble than its worth. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by platnumb4x View Post
            Hey there guys, I am thinking about buying a cheap used boat and realize I made a mistake.
            Thx,

Chuck
            Fixed it for you
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY
            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

LOL! Pretty much. Roger gives good advise, And after doing some reviews, it appears it would be a big headache and another money pit.

Comment

I actually drove past a storage yard in Long Beach a while back. Kept staring at the gate, wondering why it was catching my attention. Then I remembered - the ski boat is stored there
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                  I actually drove past a storage yard in Long Beach a while back. Kept staring at the gate, wondering why it was catching my attention. Then I remembered - the ski boat is stored there that I haven't had in the water since I can't remember when. The hull has probably rotted, the battery is probably dead and coroded up the battery box, I forgot to drain the gas out, and I don't remember flushing out the salt water...
                  There, I fixed it for you
                  SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                  MJR moderator
                  MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Funny boy Roger....

Battery probably IS dead, and I know for a fact one trailer tire has rotted
                    Jeff
                    OHV76V
                    KG6TY

Comment

Thats BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND!!!! But seriously there fun and it depends on the type you get???? There is maintenance involved!!
                      Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                      Bring
                      On
                      Another
                      Thousand

Comment

boats are nice to have but they are very high maintenance. every season the first run is always a check out run. i dont care if the boat ran perfectly when you parked it. one thing to know is what boat you want to buy. pontoons are very nice to have and are usually ok to deal with. if you want a fishing boat like a 10 foot aluminum just make sure you keep the motor covered. but my experience has lead me to believe that you get exactly what you pay for. cheap = junk. try to get something small that you can familiarize youreself with then step up later. if it isnt your thing you wont be too upset because you didnt spend a fortune on it.

Comment

One of the biggest problems is fuel related issues, as boats sit don't get allot of use, and the fuel goes bad, varnishes carbs, water in the tanks, corrosion, then on inboard engines the bad fuel creates problems,,, tulip intake & exhaust valves.
                          Best boat is your buddy's boat.
                          06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
                          07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

If you have the mechanical skills to keep a Jeep running you can have a boat too !

Personally, I have 1 Jeep and 2 boats and they can all sit around and when it's time to use them they are all Turn Key.

This is a great choice for a all around family fish / ski, whatever boat. Great condition for it's age, not much of a $ investment and VERY roomy:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...364975028.html

The Volvo I.O. is the best choice of out drive there is, PERIOD !

I LIKE DIRT AND WATER

Comment

My father in law was telling me a inboard/outboard is the way to go too....i have recieved a lot of negative comments though so I'm not so sure buying would be a good choice. Renting is a good option i spose.

Comment

Working...
                              X