Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody need a CB?

I've got a very nice and almost new Uniden PC78XL CB. It's been peaked and tuned up.

The reasons that I don't want it is that it picks up all kinds of static and noises that my other CB's don't pick up. Since I leave my CB on whenever I'm driving this gets annoying. It would probly be ok out in the boonies away from power lines and what not.

It also has a very "tinny" sounding speaker. I was using an external speaker which sounded much better.

It's a larger CB so finding a place for it is tougher than the smaller ones. I built a roof mount for my larger CB.

I have the Radio and a Chrome mounting bracket. No Microphone but it takes a standard 4 pin one. I have a power cord with a fuse and a couple feet of wire.

It does not have weather band.

It looks like this.

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/un...radio-198.html

If somebody needs it they can have it..........Free! It's in Apple Valley,Ca and I'd prefer local pick up since I'm in the middle of family health issues I really don't have time to package it and ship it. I work in Hesperia and it can be picked up there if that works better for somebody.

1st come 1st gets it.

FREE!

Not sure if CB's respond the same, but you could put a capacitor on the hot leg to filter out alternator noise.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

It's not alt noise. It's noise from power lines, phone lines, street lights etc. If I turn the squelch up to stop that racket I squelch out everybody.

Comment

Chris, I have that model, but with the weather band. It is the quietist CB I've ever owned. I wonder if there is a problem with the ANL circuit.
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

I can use an extra unit in my motorhome,and I like the price
          Dennis and Tammy
          Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Originally posted by GP4Play View Post
            I can use an extra unit in my motorhome,and I like the price
            PM sent.

Comment

Looks like it's going to a good home.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                Chris, I have that model, but with the weather band. It is the quietist CB I've ever owned. I wonder if there is a problem with the ANL circuit.
                That switch does seem to cut down some of the noise but it still drives me nuts. I've had the radio at 2 professional shops and they both say that it's normal.

The last guy said to turn the RF gain down some. This does work to eliminate the buzzing and crackling but it also eliminates any incoming signals.

I think a lot of the problem is that I'm used to Export radios. My Galaxy 99 is totally quiet until a signal breaks the squelch. They only need a 1 db signal to break the squelch. No buzzing from power lines, street lights or spark plug wires on Harleys to hear.

Since skip is up I talk a lot around the world so turning the RF gain down does not work for me. I also use a Galaxy 959 which is a legal CB radio and it uses the same circuitry as the more expensive export radios and it does not buzz or crackle either.

The average person that has not used a higher quality radio probably won't know the difference.

The radio transmits great!

I'm getting more into SSB and since the Uniden is AM only it limits me there too.

So I figured I would let it go to someone that will use it.

Comment

Good to meet you Chris,Thanks for the radio.
                  Dennis and Tammy
                  Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Working...
                  X