Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda head work

So I don't think I want to spend the money for labor, trying to get my ducks in a row before tearing the motor apart. Any one have any recommendations on a shop to get a head resurfaced?
    Build it right the first time.

A lot of aluminum heads get put through a process that straightens the head instead of machining a lot of metal off it
    Most machine shops can take care of both, did you overhead the car?

Comment

What kind of honda head is it? I have 3 different d16 heads here sitting here in my garage sell them for probably less than what it cost for machining. TNT machines in laverne does great work for a reasonable price hopefully they are still in business. Graves autoparts in pomona also has a descent machine shop and probably has more experience with foreign heads.

Comment

The car's temp gauge did not hit the red. But it did climb rapidly before I slowed down which it then dropped back to normal. I was traveling 70mph and it just all of a sudden climbed. When I slowed down to 55mph it dropped back to normal. So I figured since I had the head off for a new gasket, I may as well have the head touched.

Think it is a b15 or d15. It is in a 91 Civic DX hatch back 1.5 liter. Had one quote of $85 here up the hill.

Comment

I'd also have the machine shop pressure check or at least vacuum check the head. Pressure will check for cracks, vacuum will make sure the valves are sealing.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

It doesnt sound like you got your engine too hot why are you changing the gasket? did it blow? if so how do you know this? You most likely have a d15 head. b15 or b16 are dual overhead cams. I just remembered mines a Vtec head which I dont think you have if its a dx. Its worth about 20 more hp if it installed correctly but I am sure its not what your looking for. $85 seem reasonable to me to resurface. A cheap way to check the valves is close them and use water to see if they leak. I also have used this stuff called dye check to look for cracks.

Comment

The coolant actually blows out the over flow tank and is not hot. I did a flush thinking the radiator might be plugged. While flushing the flush with distilled water trying to get it cleaned out, the car was idling for a while and I happen to walk to the rear of the car. The tail pipe was blowing water out of it. Also the exhaust is actually gurggling with the water in the exhaust. I can not take the car up to 70 mph as of recently with out the temp gauge spiking, I have changed radiator cap/ thermostat/ hoses/ water pump/ and the added water coming out the tail pipe seemed to be a head gasket was my last piece to replace. Just want to make sure the head is good since I am going this far. I will have to see if they check for cracks.

Comment

Obviously if it has water or steam coming out of the exaust it need a new head gasket or the head might be cracked. You can check the head yourself for warpage with a straight edge also. I believe there is specs of how much your allowed to be off from perfect flat.

Comment

Those Honda's will blow a headgasket if you look at them wrong. Thats part of the reason why they use a 170* thermostat instead of a 195* like every other car made. Most cars can handle 230 or 240F but those Honda's blow a gasket @ 220F.

Comment

Working...
                  X