Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mohave trail question???

Going to do this with some buddies and have a few questions. For those that have done this excursion can you tell me if i need to carry extra gas for this 2 day event?I usually get about 200+ mles to a tank in my tj. How cold does it get at night this time of year? Thanks

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
    Going to do this with some buddies and have a few questions. For those that have done this excursion can you tell me if i need to carry extra gas for this 2 day event?I usually get about 200+ mles to a tank in my tj. How cold does it get at night this time of year? Thanks
    Take extra gas, you'll probably need it depending on how much exploring side trails you do. It's desert so it can get cold at night but as long as there are no storms it is very comfortable (high 40s-50s at night). Take plenty of memory for the camera; it's gotta be poppin out there after all the rain.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Like Kurt said, take extra gas & water. Be prepared for cold nights depending on where you decide to camp. The New York Mtns. and Mid Hills get VERY cold. Bring extra firewood. Do not go alone. Have at lewaset one other Jeep going with you. It's an easy trail but it is very remote.

We once ran into a guy in a 4x4 truck that slid off the trail and bent his fender and bumper into his tire and he couldn't turn. He as alone. Since my philosophy is never pass by someone who needs help on the trail, we were able to straighten out his bumper & fender enough so he could turn properly.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
        Like Kurt said, take extra gas & water. Be prepared for cold nights depending on where you decide to camp. The New York Mtns. and Mid Hills get VERY cold. Bring extra firewood. Do not go alone. Have at lewaset one other Jeep going with you. It's an easy trail but it is very remote.

We once ran into a guy in a 4x4 truck that slid off the trail and bent his fender and bumper into his tire and he couldn't turn. He as alone. Since my philosophy is never pass by someone who needs help on the trail, we were able to straighten out his bumper & fender enough so he could turn properly.
        I would have just eaten the guy. Stupid tastes good! Go ahead and make you snide remarks...
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

In addition to the above, I hope you have Dennis Casebier's book, if not, it can be purchased:

http://www.desertusa.com/web_cart/db/pages/5094.html

I would recommend taking the side trip to the Kelso Station. They have restored it and it is very nice. The lunch counter is also open.
          Rich

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. I am not going alone and we have a group of about 10 different vehicles. I was thinking I could do the trip without the extra gas can to save some space. I will Definatly take some pics and I hope its poppin. I have just about everything I need, just need to figure how to get it all in the jeep. I know for a fact someone has that book thats going.

Comment

The idea of the book is to have it in your own Jeep and have your co-pilot read it as you go along. There is so much history and interesting things along the way that you will miss if you do not have it. Recommend the others in your group to buy it also. It is due to Dennis Casebier and his efforts to preserve that historic road that it even exits today in this day of close everything to OHVs.
              Rich

Comment

Yeap. Mid Hills is a great little campground, but it can get chilly. It's at 5,300 feet or thereabouts

Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                  Thanks guys for the info. I am not going alone and we have a group of about 10 different vehicles.
                  Got a permit? Any group more than 6 vehicles requires a permit. The permit process is surprisingly thorough.
                  http://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/permits.htm
                  Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                  Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                  HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Caruthers Canyon in the New York Mountains is a great place to camp. Ol Man is right about having someone narrate the book as you travel. Here is a gpx file with the waypoints from Dennis Casebier's book.

Mojave Road Master Guide.gpx
                    Check out .

Comment

Dennis Casebiers book is awsome, I did this trail a few years back with Dirtman, Nwoods, Roger, a about 3 other jeeps .don,t recall everyone but two gals in one of the jeeps narrated over the CB,s out of the book it was like bein on a Safari ..very cool.. extra gas is a really good idea and the one night the 1st. nite, got below freezin so bring lots of firewood...Have fun...
                      "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                        Caruthers Canyon in the New York Mountains is a great place to camp. Ol Man is right about having someone narrate the book as you travel. Here is a gpx file with the waypoints from Dennis Casebier's book.

[ATTACH]678[/ATTACH]
                        Wow! Thanks I just figure out how to install that file into my wifes garmin gps.

Comment

Just got back from doing the trail for the 6th time. It is always a great trip! Plan on extra fuel as you will want to take side trips. Just can't pass those old roads up when you see them ! It was 28 degrees last Saturday morning in Fairview valley. A fire helped.

Comment

Working...
                          X