Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Fellow Americans...

Now that I tricked into looking at the posting... I just wanted to share a little about my current trip to Shenzhen, China...

Fortunately the flights were uneventful... even quite boring to a certain degree. The flight from LAX to Norita, Tokyo, Japan was an exciting 12 hours... it featured a great set of highly qualified flight attendant professionals (is that the politically correct way to say it these day?)... I got to enjoy a few movies while in journey... I won't critique them, but will tell you that when you sit in First Class and/or Business Class the "interactive entertainment system" provides you access to about 15 current release movies (movies sometimes still in theatres) plus a choice selection of older movies... I was pleasantly put to sleep by "The King's Speech".... I was tired and it was the perfect cure for insomnia! I did enjoy watching

Once I arrived in Shenzhen, China after going through 2 sets of customs... first in Hong Kong the second at the China border, where they took my temperature (not rectally thank God!) before they would stamp pass visa... My driver pulled up in front a really impressive hotel named The Shangri-La. This place rivals any 5 star hotel I have stayed at the USA anywhere...

This post wasn't really about the hotel and flight and other... I wanted to share with you the beauty of censorship and control.

[CENTER]Click image for larger version

Name:	Shangri-La-hotel-WIFI.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	358987[/CENTER]

[LEFT]The screen I forgot to take a shot of was the one telling me that I am "not to" access or view banned sites by the Parliament of the People's Republic of China... The sites on the banned list include Facebook, MySpace, YouTube, Drudgereport, and others... I figured out a way to get to them all... kind of because that's what I used to do... break down virtual walls... but it was just interesting who and what was being banned.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]I took the opportunity to go shopping a little bit... I was pleased to purchase a "almost real" Breitling Navigator watch for under $20. I hope Carmen will be thrilled with her 2 new watches, both being Louis Vuitton's and a Gucci purse. I was going to pick-up an "almost real" iPad but opted out when I noticed it was running Windows 7... I was also tempted to pick up a copy of the new Samsung pad... This is was actually real looking and did actually function the way I know the real Samsung would function... The battery life is what I was questioning and didn't get the warm and cuddlies about...[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Another thing that was really interesting/shocking was the driving... I had a driver provided me by the company so I didn't have to worry... but there is a point where when you leave Hong Kong where you drive on the left hand side and enter China proper you switch over to the right hand side... they just do it like is a natural switch... kind of crazy! Well, not really crazy... on the trails we switch sides of the trail all the time...[/LEFT]

[LEFT]I'm gonna hit the hay for the night... I fly home tomorrow... have some fun figuring this one out with me.. I depart from Hong Kong at 10:30am on Thursday morning. I take the 6 hour flight to Norita, Tokyo, Japan. I have a 3 hour layover in Norita... I then catch the 12 hour flight from Norita to LAX arriving Thursday morning at 9:20am. I arrive in LA before I ever leave Hong Kong. Looks I have found the 8 day week....[/LEFT]

[LEFT]I will add a chapter 2 to this post with some pictures of things... I didn't get to venture out much to take pictures but I do have a few...[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Night all...[/LEFT]
    Regards,
    Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Dude, if you took that flight over there -got off plane and turned around to fly back -- would you virtually pass yourself in mid-air?!?! HeHe. Sounds like a cool trip, just hope they didn't track u cracking into Facebook on the hotel computer...

Comment

Have a safe ride home Randy.I was in Hong Kong some years back,Great city as long as you stay out of the tatoo shops.
      Dennis and Tammy
      Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Remember to pay the fee to leave the country. At Norita it was 20$ back in the late 90's. We should do that. We could eliminate the national debt in five years! Safe trip back!
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

LOL... I stayed @ that same hotel back in 07! I'll look around for some photos. Before you leave ask for the "Happy Budda statue"....lol!!! ( I've got one at home...photos on request via PM) turn him upside down.... (as told by sales girl with a wide grin)

Got back myself last week from 27 days roaming Thailand & Philippines (solo backpak trek around Bangkok & Pattaya...fun times!!)

Lets discuss toilets after you get back!!!!

safe journey
          Last edited by screwball; 03-04-11, 12:44 AM.
          Jeep

Comment

Well,

It has been a while since I followed up on this thread but want to share some pictures with you from the trip...

A shot from the car leaving Hong Kong and entering China

The Shangri-La

Hotel entertainment... It was great hearing her sing a jazz version of "Another One Bites The Dust"

Shopping in Shenzhen - Notice the English... McDonald's was right around the corner!

Chaotic. Dystopic. A fine place to remake Blade Runner...

A study in contrasts...

Hong Kong Streetcar - London meets San Francisco
            Regards,
            Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

Working...
            X