Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift to a Tow Truck from my 4 Runner

Thanks to the recent rains and flooding there was a very tempting field on base today. So tempting that a Chevy 2500 decided to play in the mud and buried himself to the frame. Along came a crew cab flatbed tow truck to recover him and got stuck too but not that bad. So luckily for them I was headed home and saw them stuck and offered my assistance. The tow truck said he had a bigger truck that would be there in an hour and that at 18k lbs he didnt think I would be able to help. After three small tugs and no progress decided to give a good yank then POP out came the tow truck. I pulled him the 100ft to the road and went back and hooked to the 2500. Since he was up to the frame rails I decided a good yank on first attempt and got him out to the road.

After a rolling up my strap and putting away the shackles I was asked what I wanted or needed for the asistance. As I have adopted over the past few years, have a safe day and when you see someone in need help them with a smile and a hand shake. My only regret was that I didnt get picture or video with my phone. I didnt even think about it until on my way home.

What do you charge a tow truck to tow them out?

Nothing, the look on their face is worth it all.

Comment

Good way to damage your rig. i blew up the rear end on my smaurai trying to pull a jeep out of the snow.
      1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

big bear

I have helped quite a few folks stuck in snow in Big Bear (fams and boarders unprepared) and been hugged and called an angel. I too use the "Pay It Forward" attitude - it is a definite "pick me up" to ur self worth to know you did a good deed and helped someone.

Comment

Good way to get the Christmas weekend started, I agree that a hard tuck is a bit dangerous but if you've got your rig bullet proof then I guess it doesn't matter too much.

I have stopped to pull many folks out of snow, icy ditches, or just off the road with various trucks and Jeeps I've owned, it indeed good to know you helped out. I'm with ya Pikeman. Handshake, smile, hope someone repays the favor when you need it.
          USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
            Good way to damage your rig. i blew up the rear end on my smaurai trying to pull a jeep out of the snow.

Any recovery can damage your vehicle even if it is a smaller vehicle then the one you are using. There is always potential damage going off-road. The main thing is to know your vehicle and throttle control. Check environmental conditions, will my tires slip enough or is there something they can bite and get sudden traction causing damage.

My concern was more about frame damage then anything else.

Comment

I have a friend that is an Owner Operator tow truck driver. He gave me some of his frame hooks. Like these. I have used them a few times to pull people out who don't have recovery points. But you need to be careful because you can rip the frame with these.
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
              X