Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chris142 View Post
    Since the car is from another state it's not required to have Ca Emissions on it. It still must have all it's federal Emission stuff on it.

When they smog it the smog guy is asked if it's a Ca or Federal car. As long as it passes Fed Emissions your good.
    I wish I had known this when I bought my YJ as it didn't pass Cal's new SMOG standards but would pass Federal emissions. I ended up having to get a new cat and do some welding on the header.

Joe,

I'm glad your out of state purchase has went better than mine. Bought my Jeep in late August and still running temp plates as my buddy lost the title and we've had to request it from the Nevada DMV 2 times... I wanted to get Veteran plates, now I'll just be stoked to get plates!

Side note = You going to bring the bike and Jeep out to AB for NYE?
    USMC F&AM

Comment

Glad to hear it all worked out well for you. Sounds like the seller was real cool to go to the DMV with you and make sure all went well.
      I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
        You may want to consider passing on this for all reasons listed above: smog, rust, and DMV hassle. This could be a DMV nightmere...
        Fo future reference if someone is looking at a vehicle out of state...

Smog: Not a problem if the vehicle is 50 state legal (most are) and the owner has not fiddled with anything. The only thing to watch for is if the vehicle comes from an area where smog tests are not required and the owner removed certain items.

Rust: I have seen more rust on some CA vehicles than I have on certain midwest ones. The region where the vehicle is from is not necessarily an indicator. There are a lot of very nice vehicles here in MN without any rust on them. You'd be surprised on how many people store their nice vehicle for the winter and have a winter beater. There are others who simply ship them to FL for the winter.

DMV hassle: If the vehicle has over 10K miles, passes smog, and has all the necessary paperwork, I don't foresee any hassle. I've done it before and didn't have any problems.

Joe - We need pics of said love shack, I am sure Turbo will love his new pad to entertain the ladies.
        [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence View Post
          Fo future reference if someone is looking at a vehicle out of state...

Smog: Not a problem if the vehicle is 50 state legal (most are) and the owner has not fiddled with anything. The only thing to watch for is if the vehicle comes from an area where smog tests are not required and the owner removed certain items.

Rust: I have seen more rust on some CA vehicles than I have on certain midwest ones. The region where the vehicle is from is not necessarily an indicator. There are a lot of very nice vehicles here in MN without any rust on them. You'd be surprised on how many people store their nice vehicle for the winter and have a winter beater. There are others who simply ship them to FL for the winter.

DMV hassle: If the vehicle has over 10K miles, passes smog, and has all the necessary paperwork, I don't foresee any hassle. I've done it before and didn't have any problems.

Joe - We need pics of said love shack, I am sure Turbo will love his new pad to entertain the ladies.

Hey Lawrence . . . how ya been? How are things working out for you out there?

Got everything squared away yesterday after a trip to the scales (the van weighs 5500 pounds)and to the DMV . . . got my plates, registration, and they'll mail me a new title. The couple I got the van from were really cool . . . it was funny when I called him he explained that he raced dirtbikes and the van was used to haul his bike to the track, so we had an instant connection when I told him I was looking for a MotoVan . . . well a SchMotoVan anyway!!! He actually had the van listed at 4K which was still lower than most I'd seen with the same miles/age, but he called me back after some guy called and offered him $3200 sight unseen for it as if he was going to get lowballed and let her go cheap, he at least wanted another moto guy to get it!!! Really cool people, far better experience than dealing with some shady car lot guy . . . made me feel much more comfortable about the deal. Got a chance to do some cleaning up and had a chance to look underneath, and there really isn't much rust at all underneath . . . seems to just be a few spots of surface rust on the body and on the front bumper so I'm planning to clean it up and use that stuff that removes and chemically converts the rust into a solid so you can paint over it and I should be good to go. I'm actually enjoying driving it around . . . never thought I'd be driving a van!

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
          Side note = You going to bring the bike and Jeep out to AB for NYE?
          WTF is AB for NYE?
          That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Answer

Anza-Borrego for New Years Eve. There's a 6 page long thread about it; I think Rat Patrol created it. They've made a calendar to sign up -- some rigs goin as early as Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
              Hey Lawrence . . . how ya been? How are things working out for you out there?
              Things are not bad, the area is great, people are nice, and the schools are awesome. However, we really miss the wheeling out West and the mountains.
              [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence View Post
                Things are not bad, the area is great, people are nice, and the schools are awesome. However, we really miss the wheeling out West and the mountains.
                Come on back and let's get out . . . been so busy with the dirtbike, I've only been out in the Jeep once in the last 5 months . . . need a good excuse to get back out there, so come on out!!! Glad to hear things are going well for you out there.

Comment

Just my laziness since losing my job prevailing in my typing, but Red Barron (another Joe) had it right...

Man, you Joe's are taking over the earth. I've got two (basically) brothers in laws named Joe, and I know 6 Joe's with Jeeps through out various parts of the country...
                  USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
                    Just my laziness since losing my job prevailing in my typing, but Red Barron (another Joe) had it right...

Man, you Joe's are taking over the earth. I've got two (basically) brothers in laws named Joe, and I know 6 Joe's with Jeeps through out various parts of the country...
                    That's how I ended with with the handle of schmo . . . there were too many Joe's in our crowd so we all either selected or were assigned a prefix . . . I opt'd for schmojoe seeing that big joe, little joe, fat joe, black joe, and jewish joe were already taken.

Comment

Funny,

I'm the only Joe I know! Schmo, if I ever meet up with you and ur band of joes (fat, little, big, jewish, black) -- I'll go by Sloppy...

Comment

Working...
                      X