Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
    I paid $180 for the phone and pay $35 per month/unlimited use.
    WoW, where do I sign up? What is the carrier and phone brand if you don't mind?

Comment

Striker 3- nothing like needing the BFT or MTS system to relay info when it hits the fan and nothing goes through. But when either of those systems are fully operational they are a critical and handy tool.

I have heard the few random problems with SPOT and still feel that I would rather have it then not. Also I believe the newer version allows you to program multiple messages to private recipients. I would program a help text for a family member or friend instead of relying on the SPOT emergency center.

Comment

Getting back to the actual topic now that I am home and can actually use a keyboard.

Basic topics

1. Be prepared with food, water, appropriate clothing, signaling devices, medical kit.
        2. How to make a route plan and contact schedule
        3. If at all possible STAY WITH THE VEHICLE and survival techniques with regards to that. ie: Don't let snow block the exhaust if car runs.
        4. The use of various signaling techniques. Day/Night. Near/Far. Ground/Air
        5. Communication systems and their Pros/Cons

Not so basic topics

Basic land navigation Can be a 3-4 hour block of classroom instruction if the student has never seen a topographical map. Then you can't expect the lesson to stick with out practical application. Not sure how well it would fit in this course. To someone completely untrained, land nav itself can be an overload.

Survival training Can be just as time consuming as land nav, and once again, hard to teach without prac app. In this class, you should focus on how to survive for 1-5 days near your vehicle utilizing items readily available to you.

First Aid Not enough time spent on first aid training can be just as dangerous as none at all sometimes. Honestly, I think first aid should be a course unto itself. It is that important.

Comment

Everyone has given their 2 cents here. ( Lots of good stuff) But Steve, are thinking to teaching the three day survival course? Even though I'm confident in my survival skills, you can put me down for a 'yes'. I would take your class. I know the training you've had.
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Striker3 makes a VERY VALID point. Nearly 80% of the time, the vehicle is found within 72 hours of being reported missing. Survival as a statistic, STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.

What I have been taught...Steps of Survival
            #1 PMA (Positive Mental Attitude)
            #2 Shelter (YOUR VEHICLE IS SHELTER)

In EMT, they teach us, Do No Harm.
            I work in a supermarket. We get our share of medical issues (and sometimes trauma) at the stores. I am amazed at the ignorance (lack of knowledge is probably more fair) of the general public. #1 would be a person having a seizure. "hold em down", "put something in their mouth to keep them from biting their tongue", etc. In a gran mal seizure, protect the head. Keep it from bouncing off the ground by gently supporting it, and protect it from banging on other stuff. Complication from seizure, besides trauma, hypoxia. While a person is having a seizure, they do not breath. Once the seizure stops, maintain an adequate airway (this usually happens automatically, but if Pt is unconcious or semi-concious, put them in left lateral position (semi-fetal position, laying on left side.)) This will aid in keeping an airway open and clear. Just my .02!
            Last edited by SAR Jeeper; 12-04-10, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spearheadbill View Post
              WoW, where do I sign up? What is the carrier and phone brand if you don't mind?
              Sat phone really does not replace a cell phone. Way too big to carry around. I am with Globalstar. I bought my phone on ebay.
              1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Working...
              X