Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm outraged

The LA Times today had an article on how 5 people have died so far this year on Mt Whitney. I think the Forest Service needs to take a similar action as the BLM did on events in the desert as a result of the MDR accident. The FS needs to better regulate the people who get permits and have at least one ranger with each group. Where is the outrage?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,0,67668.story
    Rich

I climbed Mt.Whitney last weekend. It is a much harder hike than I had expected. Maybe they should treat this like McKinley. On the permit application they ask you about your climbing experience and ask you to list the gear you are intending on bringing. When I climbed Whitney we did it as a day hike. That was a bad idea for us because we live a sea level. We had to turn around at 13,000ft because two of us had altitude sickness. On top of that it was starting to snow.

Here is where we turned around. I was surprised to see people with out any crampons or other ice gear passing this section in the snow as the temp was dropping. They must have had a hell of a time coming down the ice later that evening.

Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
    X