Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware: Plavix can kill you!

I'm posting this up in hopes that it might save someone else from needless pain, suffering, and even death.

If you or someone you love are on Plavix or may be in the future (could be any of us, really), you need to Google Plavix TTP.

My dad went into the hospital in Virginia on with a mild heart attack on Monday, October 3rd. They unblocked a small artery with angioplasty and gave him drugs to clear some other partially blocked arteries. Afterward, he was in good spirits, having laughs with family members in the ICU.

They also gave him a drug called Plavix which is supposed to help prevent strokes and heart attacks. On Tuesday he went from being lucid to confused, slurring his speech, and showing other signs of stroke. The hospital staff tried to ignore it. One nurse told another "he was like that when he came in here." Just getting oxygen for him was like pulling teeth. Finally, a neurologist showed up, ran some tests, and confirmed he'd had several small strokes--hopefully transient, meaning the effects would pass.

On Wednesday, my dad began slipping into a coma, but the hospital staff seemed unaware of this, and downplayed his condition. He could talk some, but couldn't open his eyes. At one point he said "I should go be with Jesus." It wasn't until Thursday night that they said he might be slipping into a coma.

On Friday he was diagnosed with TTP (thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura), caused by Plavix. TTP is an autoimmune disorder in which the body destroys its own red blood cells. Clots and hemorrhaging can result. This, we were told, was the cause of his strokes.

The prescribed treatment on Saturday morning was plasma transfusions--out with the old, in with the new. The hospital misplaced the transfusion machine, and then misplaced the plasma. He didn't get the first transfusion until late Saturday night. They found that the right side of his brain was swelling. Sunday morning he was given another transfusion.

Later on Sunday, he was transferred to another hospital. On Sunday night, the neurosurgeon broke it to my mom (who had hardly left his side for almost a week) that the right side of my dad's brain was dead, and the left was dying. He'd had a massive stroke and hemorrhaging. Nothing they could do would reverse it, and he probably wouldn't last another day. His heart stopped beating on Monday night, the 10th.

TTP is supposedly a very rare disorder--only a few cases per million. A couple days after my dad's passing, I learn that my cousin's mother-in-law had died of Plavix-induced TTP less than a month ago.

A couple things. First, don't trust your life or that of someone you care about to a hospital any more than you have to. The quality of care can vary greatly depending on particular staff members, the hospital's "culture," and various circumstances. I found this out when my first son was born, and I never forgot. His mother nearly died because the nurses were downplaying her complaints and symptoms. Don't be afraid to be a pain in the ass if you have significant concerns. Raise hell if you have to.

Second, do some research on Plavix and TTP. There are those arguing it is no more effective than aspirin, but a lot more dangerous. Doesn't seem worth the risk to me, but that drug makes the pharmaceutical companies that produce it $6 billion/ year, so don't expect it to go away anytime soon. The ongoing litigation will no doubt have a negligible affect on their profits.
    Last edited by inVERt'D; 10-16-10, 04:17 PM. Reason: Typos, etc.
    holes = cowbell

David thanks for the info. Sorry to hear about your dad. I had a H-A last month and I'm on plavix and 4 other drugs. Have some side affects, but they are changing my drugs around. Plavix here is 177.00 in canada it is 87.00 Now that I think about this I need to go lay down.LOL
    Last edited by curtis; 10-17-10, 03:05 PM.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Sorry for you loss inVERt'D.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
        David thanks for the info. Sorry to hear about your dad. I had a H-A last month and I'm on plavix and 4 other drugs. Have some side affects, but they are changing my drugs around. Plavix here is 177.00 in canada it is 87.00 Now that I think about this I need to go lay down.LOL
        Curtis, sorry to hear about your H-A. I hope you're recovering well. That stuff ain't cheap one way or another, is it? I hope you can get off those drugs soon.

Curtis, Gary, thank you. My loss is his gain. I know where my dad is, and I look forward to seeing him again.
        holes = cowbell

Comment

David, for starters my condolences to you and your family. All the side effects of numerous drugs are down right scary. Some are worse than that what they are supposed to cure

Comment

David, sorry for your loss. I'm sure there have been many prayers for your family. You are absolutely right about standing your ground with medical facilities. I have nothing to say I understand exactly where you're at with this, but I do know when it comes time for others around you to walk through this fire, you will. God bless.
            God forgives, rocks don't
            -sons of thunder

Comment

David,
              Condolances for the loss for your father. That hospital sounds like a freaking nightmare!
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Dave,

That's a tragic sounding story. Stay away from that hospital! I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my dad 9 years ago today. Shitty stuff, but I'm glad it seems you're mind is in the right place with everything. Good luck through tough times. If you need anything, shoot me a PM (I have a new cell #).

Mat
                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

David I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your Dad! Thank,s for the warning, and my prayers go out to you, and yours..Geeb
                  "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Thank you, guys. Posting up the gory details, so to speak, was not fun. It's just the best way I know how to relate the experience so that others might learn from it. From what I've been reading, medical errors and negligence are probably the #1 killer in the U.S. I don't have a solution to offer, but I do intend to continue to avoid pharmaceuticals and hospitals as much as possible by living healthy. Also, this experience will only make me that much more vigilant and protective of family members in a doctor's or hospital's care.
                    holes = cowbell

Comment

So very sorry you went thru this event. And so very sorry you lost your Dad. I also lost my Dad thru a medical mistake. I miss him still and it was years ago."I do intend to continue to avoid pharmaceuticals and hospitals as much as possible by living healthy." This is the best idea you can have. All my friends know how I feel about going to doctors/hospitals. (I refuse to go) I'm an RN and that's how I feel !!

Comment

Dave,

My condolences also. This drug buisness has got to change. My Dr. just gave me a perscription for a new pain med and after reading the side effects on line, I tore up the perscription and threw it in the trash.

Has anyone but me noticed that drug companies don't seem to be looking for cures anymore? All the drugs they have been putting on the market for the last 10 years or so don't cure anything. The drugs just keep whatever is wrong in check for as long as you take it.

There's no more Jonas Salk's inthe world...
                        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                        MJR moderator
                        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                        Jeep Patrol Leader
                        Reforestation Supervisor
                        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                        Eagle Scout

Comment

Art, thank you, and you're right, the cure is often worse than the disease. I've never heard of anyone dying from smoking pot, but they still throw people in prison for that stuff. Why? (BTW, I don't use pot).

Mat, I'm 39, and comparatively fortunate my dad was around for as long as he was. You must have been quite young when yours passed. No
                          one can ever replace our dads, can they?

6spdYJ/ Ted, thank you for your prayers. I can tell you those prayers are helping a lot, because I'm not as strong as I feel now.

Kurt, there is no excuse for the negligence of the hospital staff. Thing is, I expect that kind of indifference to increase as the medical field is one of the only growing industries in America, and will be attracting all types. And yeah, it was kinda like a nightmare. I'd wake up at 0-dark:30 early every morning to worse and worse news. All that God mind-control stuff is doing me wonders, but I still can't sleep through the night. My poor pregnant sister was there and it was traumatic for her. When one doctor broke some bad news to her over the phone, she went into labor. My nephew was born about the time that the neurosurgeon was giving the bad news to my mom. My dad had been talking about "trading places" with the baby. He's named in honor of my dad.

Skittles, thanks and sorry to hear about your dad too. I know I'll miss my dad for the rest of my life. Still shed some tears for my grandpa from time to time, and he passed 25 years ago.

That's quite a statement from an RN. That's worse than when your friend at ____________ food establishment tells you he'll never ever eat where he works. Then you hear about some guy getting caught taking a dump in the pizza sauce. Are you still in the industry?

One of my aunts is an MD, and she was very quickly disillusioned with the medical establishment. She learned that doctors were expected to lie to cover up for each other. Last I heard she was practicing in some po-dunk part of Mississippi.

Roger, thank you, and I agree. BTW, sorry to hear you're in pain, but good for you.

I think the Jonas Salks of this world are often the ones now being labeled as "quacks" by mainstream American medicine. There are lots of cures and effective treatments for things that are being ignored because they can't be patented or controlled.
                          Last edited by inVERt'D; 10-18-10, 04:49 PM.
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

My issue with Plavix has always been that there is no antidote for it. For Coumadin there is Vitamin K for Heparin we have ptomaine sulfate. So if we thin you out to the point you start to bleed it can be reversed. Plus the half-life of heparin is very short so as soon as the drip is stopped the effects begin to reverse. Plavix has a half-life of 3 weeks! So if you react poorly to it it can be awoke before the effects go away and there is nothing you can do to counter it. I had a guy in my ER that took two days of Plavix and it took us almost 4 hours to stop the nosebleed he had. But the cardiology guys love their Plavix!! Sorry about your loss.
                            An ugly Jeep with some stuff.....

Comment

Thank you and interesting insight on the Plavix. The only "antidote" is to give you different blood.
                              holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                              X