Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• registration

ok, if my dad and i were to build an XJ solely for the trail, do we have to get it registered? insurance? or anything that street cars have to do. Im trying to talk him into turning my xj into an absolute animal. Thanks.
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

No, you will not need to get it smogged, insured, etc. if it is strictly an off-road rig.

Bear in mind though that there are a lot of trails out there where only street-legal (or in some cases, green stickered) vehicles can run. The Mojave Road for instance is street-legal vehicles only, for a majority of its length. I believe most of the Big Bear runs are street-legal only (or green-sticker bikes and ATV's) All of the National Park and Preserve runs are street-legal only, if I remember correctly. So, Canyonlands, Death Valley, Mojave, and Joshua Tree would be off-limits.

Now, if you are going to tow this thing just to do OHV parks, this would be less of an issue. Admittedly, I am not sure if you can drive an unregistered motor vehicle in state OHV parks.

My recommendation would be to get it street-legal, if at all possible. My thinking is it would be a better buy to fix a rig to pass smog and insure it just for liability, than it would be to buy a tow rig and trailer to haul your absolute animal.
    Last edited by jmbrowning; 04-26-04, 10:37 PM.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Thats pretty much exactly what i was looking for. Sounds like it wouldnt be such a good idea. hmmmmm now what to do with my old jeep........anyone got any ideas?
      B R E T T
      87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Can you trade it in for a 5th wheel?
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

It does have to be "GreenStickered" You do that at the dmv for about $15.
          1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Working...
          X