Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb buying at auction.

Greetings folks! I'm looking into buying a car, and came across an auction. I'm really not sure about this method of buying. Can any of you folks share any car auction experiences? Whether good or bad, I'd like to hear/read from you.

Another thing, I've noticed some vehicles have rebuilt/salvage titles, is there any big deal buying one of those?

http://easyexport.us/carfinder/vehic...=4c054bdec9d5b

What do you folks think of it?

It is difficult to buy a car at an auction that is open to the public. The only vehicles that make it to these auctions are typically the ones they could not sell to anyone else. There are very few cars that are worth the time and money that it takes to buy these. I don't have an aversion to buying salvage or rebuilt cars. As long as they were repaired correctly(often they are not). But the real problems with these are in the resale and the insurance. Some insurance companies will not insure a car that is salvage. Some will but they require their claims adjuster to inspect the vehicle. Also a salvage vehicle can be very difficult to sell. Especially on a late model vehicle like this. On older cars where the values are closer to three to five thousand it is less of a hindrance. But like the late model vehicle you are looking and it can cut the resale value in half sometimes even worse if it is a unibody like your patriot. My best advice to you is to keep looking. The deal that you think you are getting is not really a deal. There are some very nice Cherokee and Grand Cherokees out there for less than $5000 that will still be worth three to four thousand in four years when you are tired of driving it.

Just my opinions...
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by Starscream View Post

It's a Patriot . . . is there really any need to say more? :confused:
      That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

I bought an auto at action once, never again
        no warranty
        no one to bring it back to
        I found I had a vehicle someone else did not want to repair, and it was all mine, including the repair bills, I could have gotten it cheaper at a dealership with a warranty and goodies thrown in.
        censored for having an opinion

Comment

I've purchased many, many vehicles at auctions. Not many with salvage titles though. I have no buying experience with Copart. But through my trucking company we transport several Copart vehicles each week. I see some of them in my back yard when drivers stop by before delivering down the hill. They're not all rebuilt wrecks or damaged vehicles.

Best advice I can give you is to do your homework on this vehicle, if you can check it out in person I highly recommend you go do it. Try to figure out why it was salvaged. Did someone or even a animal die inside it and rot? Theft recovery that simply took to long to recover? Was it a lemon vehicle? Was it in a flood? Could be many reasons for salvaging it. Try to rule some of them out.

Also, Set your limit and don't get caught up in the heat of the auction and go over it. I've seen many people pay more at auctions then they would've paid at a dealer.

At one time I was buying 40 used vehicles a month. I checked the vehicles out thoroughly on inspection day and I set a max price that I was willing to pay.

Beings this is an on line auction you shouldn't have to worry about this but at public auctions sometimes the bid takers will try to drive your bid up. They know your focused on them and will point their hand like their pointing at someone behind you. Wait until the last call before you bid again. I've seen several people outbid them self. It's an old trick used to drive the price up so they can get higher auction fees. Most auctions work off of a percentage and the more you pay the more they earn. I always stand at the back of the crowd so I can see if someone else is actually bidding against me.

Comment

Working...
          X