Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took it in the rear yesterday!

Well, it finally happened to me yesterday, I took it in the rear!

My parents and 5 year old Niece are out visiting us and also here to attend my daughters High School graduation tonight.

Yesterday we were out taking care of my daughters Grad Present (Putting new Tires on her new Pick up truck) I had to run to the Victorville Walmart to get the 4th tire that the AV Walmart didn't have so, we all pilled into my parents Jeep Liberty and headed over there to pick it up and take it back to the AV Walmart so they could finish the job. My dad isn't to familiar with the area so he figured I'd better drive. We were on Hwy 18 at Corwin Rd (West bound into Victorville) and stopped at the light. The light was red and the truck in front of me pulled forward just a little so I followed, pulling forward just a bit too. I stopped and glanced into the rear view just in time to see a white blur flying up behind me, I yelled, "AWW Shit!" Stood on the brakes, nearly pulled the steering wheel in half and braced for inpact and then BLAM!! Some 70 year old Geezer in an Isuzu Rodeo plowed into the back of us. He never even hit the brakes and was doing about 35 to 45 MPH. Infact in his own statement to me he said "I thought you had gone, I looked down for a second and hit the gas, looked up and there you were."

My Niece was strapped into the back seat in a child safety seat and was terrifeid but unhurt. My daughter was sitting in the middle of the back seat and belted in, she suffered the brunt of the inpact with some pretty bad whiplash action. My Mom, also belted in, in the back seat faired well with no injuries. My Dad was in the front with me and he was hit by the flying GPS unit that was sitting on the dashboard. He suffered an scrape to the wrist and some back and neck pain. Adrenelin kicked in with me and after I made sure everyone else in the car was ok, I jumped out to see if the other driver was ok. He was shaken but fine.

I called 911 (which is ironic because I work as a 911 dispatcher) and within a minute or two we had S.O., Av Fire Dept and AMR all on scene. They were all kind and caring folks and they took great care of my family and they made sure that everyone was okay. Many Thanks to all of them!

Our Jeep was driveable so we took it home. The older gentelman's Rodeo didn't fair so well, with extensive front end damage, it had to be towed off.

Here are a few pic's taken after we got home and took the spare tire off the Liberty to asess the damage.

I think the tow hitch saved the back of the Jeep from being damaged more than it was and I'm not to sure if the Liberty is a unibody or not. I do know the hitch is bent down now and that means that watever it's attached to is also bent.

The spare tire was jammed into the bumper and the tailgate is toast!

No signs of body damage on the sides of the Jeep, as in it being bent.

Mom and Dad will have to limp the Liberty back to Chandler AZ and get her fixed. We are all pretty sore this morning and definatly feeling the effects of the crash. We are very lucky that it wasn't worse than it was!

-Scott
    Last edited by avjeepfreek; 06-11-10, 08:25 AM.
    "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Glad to hear you guys weren't hurt too badly . . . still sucks . . . but could have been much worse. Hope the soreness fades quickly.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Ohno! Glad to hear everyone is ok. Feel better soon!
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

OOOch!

Glad everyones okay. Still sucks though

Tam
        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Bummer! Good thing no one was more seriously injured. I was in the same exact accident last year and I had some pretty bad whiplash as well, and I would highly recommend seeing a chiropractor for it.
          -Justin

Comment

Wow, glad you're all doing OK... What an interesting way to make their trip exciting! Congrats to your daughter, too!
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Glad to hear that no one was seriously injured. Cars can be fixed or replaced.

Comment

Scott,How is your Daughter doing?I hear the day after is hell for whip-lash.Really glad to hear everyone's ok and hope your parents have a safer trip home.
                Dennis and Tammy
                Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Scott,

Thank God no one was seriously hurt.
                  SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                  MJR moderator
                  MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Scott,

I'm sorry to hear about the ordeal and hope everyone will be just fine after the initial soreness goes away.

The Jeep looks like it fared remarkably well and hopefully it will be easy to fix.

I once had someone plow into me when I was stopped on an off ramp and they were doing about 50 - 60 mph. It was exactly the same thing where the driver looked down and when he looked up he didn't even have time to touch his brakes.

I was sore, but don't have any lasting effects.

Take care and may you all feel better soon.

Christian
                    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Working...
                    X