Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• View of big bear lake?

What are some areas in big bear that have a good overlook of the lake? Some friends and I are thinking of going up there on 4th of July to watch the show and we would rather do it from atop a trail than down with everyone else. Preferably an little more moderate trail so there will be less people. All I know if is an area on top of gold mountain where there's a spot big enough to park without blocking the trail, and a rock you can walk to that looks out over the lake.

Or, is it too crowded to even be worth it? I've heard from others that it's a circus in town that weekend.
    -Justin

[COLOR="Sienna"]I'm not sure if it's open due to Eagle nesting, but Gray's Peak is on the west side of the lake. The trailhead is on the 18 just past Fawnskin. The hike is pretty easy and you get a great view at the top.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Where do they have the fireworks now a days?
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

I'm not too sure. All I heard from a friend is that they do a fireworks show at the lake.

Thanks for the Gray's Peak recommendation. I found it on one of my maps, seems easy enough to get to if it's open.
        -Justin

Comment

You might check out 2N71 above Fawnskin, accessible via Polique Canyon Road or 3N14 out of Fawnskin.

It's not very moderate though (last time I was there it was nicely graded) but there lots of places to pull off and a great view of most of the valley & lake.

Rob

Comment

Thanks, but plans changed. We're going camping up in Mammoth and we'll be watching the fireworks shows there..and doing some light wheeling.
            -Justin

Comment

Working...
            X