Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing, Big Bear area and others....

So my daughter wants us to camp out in the mountains and fish.

I haven't fished since I was a kid with my dad in Washington.

What is the easiest/best method for fishing around the Big bear area?

Was thinking either bobber fishing or lure fishing, just not sure what works up there. Also considered fly fishing, but not sure what that area has to offer.

Anyone got some first hand experience, I really want their first fishing trip to be successful so that they will want more.

Thanks.

Matt & kids...
    "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

first, you'll need your fishing license....
    as the summer drags on, weeds become a problem for shore fishing....they can also foul your lure from a boat, unless your down deep.
    The north shore in the afternoon shadows is good from the dam to SS Relief.
    Eagle and Juniper points are good for shore fishing.
    As the summer heats up, the fish move to deeper water, meaning from the observatory to the dam.
    Trolling deep (lead core line) right down the middle of the lake can be productive.
    The lake is almost full right now, so shore fishing is more challenging due to lack of accessable beach or shore; everyone and their brothers brother fishes off the road at Stanfield Cutoff, I would avoid that unless you like carp and catfish.
    Roostertails, green or black, Needlefish and almost any Mepps will work on the surface in late afternoon.
    Slip bobbers allow you to reach and stay at a certain depth; Powerbait is good. Drifting with slip bobbers and Powerbait can work as well.
    I think a boat is a good thing at Big Bear; allows you to be more flexible with your options and presentations; if something isn't working, try something different, bait and/or depth.
    Boulder Bay at the mouth can be productive as well.
    The area around the old Grays landing was good, for reasons I won't mention here; hasn't been as good since the marina closed a couple years ago.
    Chumming isn't legal, so don't be tempted to "feed" he fish.
    I use ultralight rods with 6lb or less for line.
    The fishing is usually much better with westerly winds (from the dam direction) blowing, than an easterly direction.

Cliff or anyone at Big Bear Sporting Goods used to be helpful for first timers.
    Have fun and good luck !
    Last edited by jpflat2a; 06-02-10, 12:53 PM.

Comment

check out fishingnetwork.net or something like that it is the MJR of fishing...Lots off good reading
      Head nut at Outdoorlogic
      Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
      www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Working...
      X