Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake Warning

A buddy sent me this, figured it couldn't hurt for the rest of you to read it. I've been seeing a lot more snakes lately so it stand to reason there will be more Mojave greens out also.

http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/for...ns-hunter.html

Seems like more often than not the trail reports lately for desert wheeling trips have a shot or two of a rattler found on the trail. Especially those of us with dogs need to be very attentive.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

I went fishing this morning but after a short time I ran out of worms.

Then I saw a cottonmouth with a frog in his mouth. (For all y'all Northerners and City Folks "cottonmouth" is a water moccasin -- one of the 4 most poisonous snakes in North America and generally the meanest, being more aggressive than rattlesnakes.)
      Frogs are good bass bait. Knowing the snake couldn't bite me with the frog in his mouth I grabbed him right behind the head, took the frog and put it in my bait bucket.
      Now the dilemma was how to release the snake without getting bit. So I grabbed my bottle of Jack Daniels and poured a little whiskey in it's mouth. His eyes rolled back. He went limp. I released him into the lake without incident and carried on fishing using the frog.
      A little later I felt a nudge on my foot. There was that same snake with two frogs in his mouth.
      Life is good in the South.

Oh if it was only that easy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Skittles View Post
        I went fishing this morning but after a short time I ran out of worms.

Then I saw a cottonmouth with a frog in his mouth. (For all y'all Northerners and City Folks "cottonmouth" is a water moccasin -- one of the 4 most poisonous snakes in North America and generally the meanest, being more aggressive than rattlesnakes.)
        Frogs are good bass bait. Knowing the snake couldn't bite me with the frog in his mouth I grabbed him right behind the head, took the frog and put it in my bait bucket.
        Now the dilemma was how to release the snake without getting bit. So I grabbed my bottle of Jack Daniels and poured a little whiskey in it's mouth. His eyes rolled back. He went limp. I released him into the lake without incident and carried on fishing using the frog.
        A little later I felt a nudge on my foot. There was that same snake with two frogs in his mouth.
        Life is good in the South.

Oh if it was only that easy!!!!
        I thought this started sounding a little like a fish story. Nice one too.

Comment

Awesome, you had me going. I was thinking, dam Mary is the man. I want to go fishing with you.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Very good Skittles.

Comment

I knew she wasn't telling the truth when she said she gave some Jack Daniels to the snake. Ain't no way she's gonna share her bottle with no damn snake!
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
                A buddy sent me this, figured it couldn't hurt for the rest of you to read it. I've been seeing a lot more snakes lately so it stand to reason there will be more Mojave greens out also.

http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/for...ns-hunter.html
                Gary, with your luck snakes find you...
                "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Just my luck - hate snakes, love Jack Daniels. Now I'll never get rid of the slithering little bastiches
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY
                  You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

LOL,Thank you Mary,I always love a good fish story.
                    Dennis and Tammy
                    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt2001TJ View Post
                      Gary, with your luck snakes find you...
                      LOL No doubt, I've stepped on a few. You must be referring to the phone booth incident. I've been very lucky when it comes to snakes.

I stepped on a rattler in Litle creek once also. A buddy and me were out target shooting and we got the bright idea for one of us to go through the bushes and scare out a rabbit.I was the lucky one to go through the bushes. I stepped down on a old rattler just pining his head under my boot so it couldn't swing back and bite me. Talk about being nervous. I was out of ammo so my buddy tossed me his gun. I just pointed it down and fired a way. I didn't have much time to think but I figured a bullet wound in the foot was way better than a rattle snake bite. I took this rattle snake back to my GMC truck and it stretched from one tire all the way over the hood and down to the other tire. Had to be pretty old to be that long.

I also stepped out my front door once bare foot and leaned against an old tow truck i had. A baby rattler was coiled up right behind the front tire. It must of been looking at my big toe like it was dinner? Had I of kept leaning against that truck I'd of been in trouble.

Probably one of the most interesting snake stories was when i was in my back yard pulling some old fence pipe out of the ground to make room for a horse coral. I was rocking this pipe back and forth trying to loosen it up and a snake came flying straight up right out of the end of the pipe. Bout scared the crap out of me. Wasn't a rattler but sure couldn't tell with it flying out of the end of that pipe. I was lucky that pipe wasn't pointing straight at me at the time.

I've heard that theres 3 shots you have to get when bit by a rattle Snake. I was told the 3 shots cost $60,000.00 Ad that to a helicopter ride and a stay in the hospital it sure would be hard to recover.

My next purchase will be some snake gators for me my Brothers and my nephew. If the snake bite doesn't kill you the price of medical care will with a heart attack.
                      Last edited by Gary; 05-25-10, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I was wondering where you whee fishing at in Lucern Valley...but that was pretty funny, well told.

Comment

Working...
                        X