Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What an exciting day yesterday turned out to be...

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What an exciting day yesterday turned out to be...

I was with a friend fab'ing a new tow bar for the Jeep... We had just bent the metal and laid it all out... when Carmen calls... "The hills are on fire! and it is really close to the house! I am on my home from work and will call you back as soon as I know something new..." 15 minutes later... ring ring ring (well, it's a cell, so not really a ring ring ring... her ringtone is "Bang Bang She Shot Me Down... Bang Bang She Shot Me Down....") "You need to head home now... CHP says we have to prepare to evacuate!"

So, off to the house I roll... Upon arrival to the house I see the following...

Helicopters and other air support flying around all night... Not sure at this point what the actual containment is... but "Gracias a Dios" (Since we are occupants of the stolen territory of Mexifornia) Carmen and I and the 3 puppies and Paco the Parrot are all safe and sound.

Edit... News reports crews will be onsite until Saturday or Sunday... Reported burned to be between 900 to 950 acres...
    Last edited by MyBrokenJeep; 05-21-10, 04:49 AM.
    Regards,
    Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

The video captured by Carmen telling the story of the afternoon....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSpnJVLu-A0

From the Press Enterprise...

"The Cal Fire/Riverside County Fire Department reported on its website that the blaze had the potential to grow to 1,000 acres.

"That (800-acre) number will grow as we set backfires to clean up our perimeter and get this thing under control," Rawlings said. He estimated that when it's all over, the burn area will be about 900 to 950 acres.

"We'll have crews on scene until at least late Saturday afternoon," Rawlings said.

About 270 firefighters were battling the blaze late Thursday, Rawlings said. The only injury reported was to a firefighter who may have twisted his ankle as he worked the rugged terrain.

Earlier in the afternoon, Rawlings characterized the blaze as topography-driven -- it was consuming the brush in its path, but winds were not a significant factor, blowing at 3 to 5 mph with gusts of 7 mph.

But those winds are expected to gust to 30 mph by this afternoon, forecasters at the National Weather Service's office in San Diego said.

Rawlings said he believed that firefighters were ready to deal with increased winds.

"If you have a sudden wind change ... that plays into our being able to keep this fire contained," he said, adding that tactics use to fight the fire would change to deal with wind.

Thirty-nine engines, 10 hand crews, three water tenders, one air-attack command plane, four air tankers, three water-dropping helicopters and two bulldozers fought the fire Thursday.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/stories/....2212b2fb.html
    Last edited by MyBrokenJeep; 05-21-10, 04:54 AM.
    Regards,
    Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

Nice photo work Carmen! I was golfing at Sierra Lakes yesterday and could see the fire growing in the distance. Glad everyone is ok.

Mitch

Comment

Hey Randy,

That makes for an exciting day for sure! When I heard where the fire was I wondered if it was near you. Your neighborhood should be reasonably safe from fires because of the tile roofs, stucco exterior, lack of big trees hanging over your houses, and the minimal vegetation in the hills around you.

I am glad you both are okay!
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
        X