Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple Valley Police State - Send in the SWAT Team!

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Valley Police State - Send in the SWAT Team!

Did any of you see this in the Daily Press? I can hardly believe it! Snipers, a "tank," neighbors evacuated for hours, destruction of a house - for a drunk guy? Granted, he should have come out, but this seems way overboard. Remember that Hoops is our current sheriff... if you want to see more of this, give him your vote this June 8th.

===

SWAT team ends standoff
    Distraught man refuses to surrender following domestic dispute
    May 13, 2010 1:51 PM
    http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/val...pple-home.html

APPLE VALLEY • Sheriff’s SWAT members arrested an Apple Valley man who was barricaded inside his home Wednesday night after a five-hour standoff.

The man, in his late 50s, was taken into custody in the master bedroom of the home in the 16000 block of Kasson Road, San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman Trish Hill said.

No one was reported injured. Hill did not immediately identify the man.

Residents stood in the driveway in a house across the street from Max Kennedy’s home on Majela Road, which backed up to the barricaded man’s residence in the upscale Apple Valley neighborhood near Tao and Kaibob roads. SWAT snipers were on the roof of a house next to Kennedy’s when a pair of curt popping sounds cut through the dusk sky.

“Hands up! Hands up!,” someone yelled from behind Kennedy’s house at 7:43 p.m. A moment later, the SWAT snipers on the roof relaxed and gathered their gear.

The incident started at 2:15 p.m. when someone inside the house called the sheriff’s department to report a domestic disturbance, Hill said. A woman identified as the man’s wife and two of his sons got out of the house. The man, who Hill said had been drinking alcohol all day, refused deputies’ orders to come out.

The man’s wife told deputies there were guns in the house. (Ed. Note: OMG OMG OMG!!!!) Deputies quickly surrounded the home and evacuated residents from several houses near the home, Hill said. By 6 p.m., deputies were moving armored cars and an armored compact bulldozer toward the house.

Sheriff ’s negotiators repeatedly tried to contact the man. Every time they did, he hung up. He occasionally called his wife’s cell phone to threaten her, then hung up, Hill said. No motive was immediately available.

Kennedy said he barely knew the family that lived behind him. He said they were quiet and kept to themselves.

DeWayne Bishop, 23, of Spring Valley Lake, said he grew up nearby and was close friends with one of the man’s son’s. Bishop said the man was a trucker who had a drinking problem. He had received a call from the man’s son and drove over to see about his friend.

“He had issues before,” Bishop said of his friend’s father. “But I don’t know what set this off.”

Deputies started by using a loudspeaker on a helicopter to coax the man out of the house. Neighbors said the helicopter circled low over the home, deputies repeatedly ordering the man to come out.

The incident drew more SWAT members than usual. (YA THINK!?!) A training in Apple Valley for SWAT members from all over Southern California was scheduled on Wednesday. Many of those who attended the training also went to the standoff.

===

Man involved in AV stand-off identified
    May 13, 2010 4:13 PM
    http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/app...-involved.html

APPLE VALLEY • Even after a tactical tank pulled off all the windows and doors of a barricaded man’s home, he continued to refuse to come out of the house and was eventually subdued by several SWAT officials and arrested for resisting an officer and making terrorist threats (OH I BET!!! Refer to the PATRIOT Act. - not the movie.).

Ross Goldrick, 58, of Apple Valley held an entire neighborhood captive Wednesday when he refused to come out of his home in the 16000 block of Kasson Road for more than five hours after threatening to kill people, San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Apple Valley station officials said.

Goldrick’s wife was able to escape the home with her two sons around 2:15 p.m. and told arriving deputies her husband had been drinking and was threatening to kill people and himself.

At about 7:30 p.m., SWAT officials used a tactical bullet-proof tank to tear down the windows and doors to the home as other officers entered the home, Hill said. Searchers found Goldrick in the master bedroom of the home and he was taken into custody after a brief struggle. Authorities allowed residents to return to their homes just before 8 p.m.

No one was hurt. According to people at the scene, Goldrick has had problems with alcohol and that may have contributed to the incident. Goldrick was arrested and booked into West Valley Detention Center.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

If the man was in the house alone, who was he giving a credible threat to? Is there any reason they could not wait for him to come out on his own? I don't understand why the police felt they had to act under a time constraint here. It sounds to me like they just wanted to use the training group to mix it up. I think the dept. is going to get sued and loose (unless it's not possible to sue them) because last time I checked it wasn't against the law to get drunk in your own home, and if he didn't keep anybody from leaving the house he didnt do anything wrong. I for one, after figuring out who called the cops on me, in my own home, and they started ripping my house apart, I'd be calling and threatening as well!!!

This whole thing is scary, they need to be punished for this behavior!
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Waco Texas comes to mind. Oh, and Ruby Ridge...
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Wonder how much that whole scene will end up costing tax payers :dunno:
        That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

I don't know folks, this seems reasonable to me. The wife apparently called and reported her dangerous husband. What had been going on before? Is this the first time? Other issues we don't know about?
          Rich

Comment

they have to deploy every once in a while to get federal funds to keep that SWAT team.
            Sad, but what was seen there is the over reaction by police to a problem that could have been resolved with probably 4 cops waiting the guy to sober up. We are in a society that does not want answers to problems, just reaction.
            We will not let sex offenders live anywhere, but we release them from prison
            We do not want illegal aliens, bu we pay our poor not to work the jobs they hold
            We do not want the violence of the drug wars, but we refuse to take the profits out of it, plus we house simple users in jails with criminals instead of treating the addictions.
            We want to win a war on terrorism, but refuse to guard our borders
            We have double digit unemployment, but vote in a health plan that will cost billions, and the administration has now admitted will not do what it was designed to.

I think if we enforced laws we already have, with since instead of reactionary mismanagement, we could solve some of these problems. If we allowed the poor to be poor, if we pulled our troops back to our country to guard the borders, if we made politicians responsible for the time in office.

Here is a thought, no pay for the CA representatives till they balance the budget, We only pay them after a black ink year.
            I wonder what cuts they would make then?

Another thought, we make the president study the Monroe Doctrine, and pull our troops back to the side of the world we are telling everyone else to stay out of. If we hold up this Doctrine as a milestone in western advancement, why do we continue to ignore it and invade their side of the world?

Oh well, sorry for the ramble, I will get off my soap box now.
            censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
              I don't know folks, this seems reasonable to me. The wife apparently called and reported her dangerous husband. What had been going on before? Is this the first time? Other issues we don't know about?
              Your absolutly right Ol Man,

Let us not forget that those cops are here to protect.

We as civilians or neighbors may never know exactly why they chose to defuse the situation this way. It's real easy for us (as outsiders) to "Arm Chair Quarterback" this particular action and say, "Well, That was Excessive!"

But, remember, we don't know what those officers were being told on the scene. How many times have Deputies responded to this house before for similar situations? What was that dispatcher told during that brief 911 call?.....

All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be so quick to cry foul here, unless we know all of the fact first.

Would we be so quick to denounce the Police if this situation had turned ugly and this guy picked up his gun and bullets started to fly around the neighborhood?

Let's see.... So the guys house got damaged!! because he was being an idiot and not complying with the Police request to come out. ....Maybe he'll think twice now before he drinks to excess, Threatens his wife, acts like a baby and locks himself in his house with his Guns!

Was it excessive force buy the police? In my opinion, NO....they did what was needed to end the situation.

If this was happening next door to my house, I'd sure be glad to get my family to safety and let the Police take whatever action was nesessary to bring the situation to a peaceful end.

Let's think about this before we Judge!

I think if I lived next to someone like this I'd probly be very happy to have the police out there doing their JOB.

What would we say if this guy decided to snap one day killed his family or started picking off the neighbor's while they BBQ'd in the backyard or the neighborhood kids as they rode their bikes up and down the street.

Probly something like... "Where the hell were the cops!?! and "Why didn't they do more to stop this idiot!?!"

Unfortunatly, I don't think we can have it "one way or the other" here!

My :2:

Scott
              Last edited by avjeepfreek; 05-17-10, 03:09 PM.
              "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Originally posted by avjeepfreek View Post
                Your absolutly right Ol Man,
                Let us not forget that those cops are here to protect.
                From what? Let everyone carry, and be responsible for their own safety.

OT: Can anyone explain what the Branch Davidians actually did that justified the actions taken there?

Too many guns? Weird religion?
                An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post

OT: Can anyone explain what the Branch Davidians actually did that justified the actions taken there?

Like I said, "Unfortunatly, we can't have it one way or the other here!"

You wouldn't call the cops and expect them not to come to your aid and do something to fix your problem!

I can here it now.... "Sorry ma'am, your Husband only theratened your life, call us back when he actually shoots you and we will come out and take care of it!" or "Well then, grab your gun and threaten him back!..... wha'da ya want us to do about it!?!"

....and yes I whole heartedly agree in letting us carry our own guns and protecting ourselves too but we can't be the Judge, Jury and Executioner in every instance either!

Comment

I don't think it was the Branch Davidians themselves but their leaders own interpretation. This guy was a little off.

http://www.btinternet.com/~fountain/koresh/outline.html

http://www.rickross.com/reference/waco/waco22.html

Info not hard to find: Google (Branch Davidian what did they do wrong)

Comment

Perfect Example!

Let's see,...

DA: Empty gas tank was motive for the killing:

http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/hes...der-trial.html

Judge, Jury and Executioner, ....:gun:

All because the car I loaned you didn't have enough gas in it????

:dunno:
                      Last edited by avjeepfreek; 05-17-10, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by avjeepfreek View Post
                        Like I said, "Unfortunatly, we can't have it one way or the other here!"
                        I can here it now.... "Sorry ma'am, your Husband only theratened your life, call us back when he actually shoots you and we will come out and take care of it!" or "Well then, grab your gun and threaten him back!..... wha'da ya want us to do about it!?!"
                        Could she not have gone to stay with a friend? At a hotel?

As far as Koresh being a Kook, you will get no argument from me, other than having illogical beliefs is not a crime.

The warrant was issued due to not paying taxes on M16 lower recievers. Really it takes 76 federal agents to determine if this is true?

:beer:
                        An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Could she not have gone to stay with a friend? At a hotel?
                          I suppose, :dunno: ...and one could also argue that she should feel safe in her own home and not fear for her life because her bonehead husband can't handle his drink! :hide:

Comment

*shrugs* Just another victim-less "crime" in the books... and a lot of money down the toilet!

Did the police stop any crime from actually happening? I don't know, but with only threats of he-said, she-said, bulldozing a house seems way over the top. The woman also didn't seem to have any trouble leaving the house, so it's not like he had her restrained or was physically hurt.

Don't get me wrong, I support the police and all, but this isn't the first time they have locked an Apple Valley neighborhood down for a call of a domestic disturbance or a supposed "man with gun."

Kinda freaky.
                            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

PAUL SCHRADER for SBC Sheriff

Originally posted by sarah View Post
                              Remember that Hoops is our current sheriff...
                              Just a reminder Hoops was Appointed Sheriff, San Bernardino County, January 2009.
                              I will Vote for PAUL SCHRADER http://www.sheriffpaul.net/index.html I met Averbeck and Schrader in person recently and like Schrader no question. Schrader says he will give CCW to any law abiding citizen, "I will break down the walls to a CCW permit in San Bernardino County. If you meet the qualifications, you will not be denied a CCW. I will order an audit of this system and take politics out of receiving a CCW."

I am a strong NRA supporter. NRA member and supporter of the Second Amendment, and has often spoken at NRA meetings. I asked if he would join the oath keepers http://oathkeepers.org/oath/ he said "yes".

Averbeck http://www.electsheriffaverbeck.com/index.html

Hoops: http://www.hoopsforsheriff.com/

I am voting Paul Schrader for San Bernardino County Sheriff.

Best, Maxwell Britton
                              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X