Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard rock prospecting. My rock crusher.

In the other Prospecting thread A couple folks asked me about the rock crusher I was working on. I finally got it done.

It's a piece of 2 inch pipe welded to a metal plate.

I then ordered a bit for my air chisle that just fits inside the pipe.

If the rocks are too big to fit into the pipe I can easily break them up with a chisle bit in the air tool.

Put your rock into the pipe and smash away!

Then pour the smashed rock into your gold pan and pan it out. If your lucky you may get some gold!

Put a york compressor on your Jeep for onboard air and you can crush your rock at the site you are prospecting
    A york should easily run an air chisel

Comment

If I did that then I'd end up inside mines with the air chisle trying to hit the motherlode! I'm better off with a pic and a bucket then bringing them home with me. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by chris142 View Post
        If I did that then I'd end up inside mines with the air chisle trying to hit the motherlode! I'm better off with a pic and a bucket then bringing them home with me. LOL

haha thats so true! there is that fine line between having fun looking for gold and working your butt off with gold fever lol
        KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Hey that looks like it works pretty good.

I can just see your jeep parked at a mine now, just a airline going in and nobody around. I shot you a PM.

Comment

How much rock did you have to crush to produce whats in the pan?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
              How much rock did you have to crush to produce whats in the pan?
              About 10 or so like the one I smashed in the video. Bout 10 mins with my smasher then 20 to pan it out.

Comment

That doesn't sound to bad. I can see where panning can take some time. I did alittle of it over the weekend. Sat morn I picked up a sluice box, pan and a few other items then went up by Wrightwood. I just found some small traces in the creek I was in. I've been doing some more reading and talking to a Cousine thats worked his sluice all over BB. He was giving me some tips. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to the Meet N greet or head up around BB this weekend? Theres a couple of areas I'd like to check out up there while the water is flowing.

Comment

damn chris i just watched your video. that crusher works great! happy hunting!
                  KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
                    I can see where panning can take some time.
                    I tend to pan pretty slow. Don't want to lose my gold. I have a friend thats more experianced with panning than I am and he can pan it out quick and not lose any.

He can pan a 5 gallon bucket in about 30 minutes.

Comment

Gary,

Go to the Meet and Greet! That gold will still be there next weekend.

Chris,

Good stuff. Hope to meet you on Saturday. We are leaving the new Target on Main and the 15 at 8:30am.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                        Gary,

Chris,

Good stuff. Hope to meet you on Saturday.
                        You wont make fun of me since my top is on and my AC ice cold?

Comment

Never!

Comment

Yeah Mitch it looks like we're passing an Big bear and going to the meet n greet.

Chris have you seen that spinning wheel in action? I know the thing is kinda pricey but it could cut out, or at least cut down on the pan work?

They probably won't give us any crap about our tops being on if the wind blowing down there.
                            Last edited by Gary; 05-05-10, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X