Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need Aftermarket Warranty help - Exhaust is rusted through

A little background. I bought my 98 TJ with a lot of aftermarket goodies. Two of those goodies are a Gibson header(lifetime warranty) and a Borla cat-back system(1,000,000 mile warranty). Both the header and muffler have rusted through . . .

Muffler Hole

Header Hole

The Header hole is hard to see but it is definatly leaking from the collector.

It also has semi-rusted clamps . . .

It looks like these are both warranty issues. But the warrenty states that it must be the original purchaser who cashes in on the warranty. Has anyone ever dealt with this? Is there someway get around that part of the warranty? There is no way I could have caused this kind damage, so it is definatly a Warranty/ Poor materials problem.

Thank you for your help.
    -Chris
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Borla has a known design flaw with their mufflers causing exactly what you are experiencing. This is not rumor this is directly from a Borla rep that my buddy and i talked to.

Call them and go from there. My buddy had the exact same problem, but he went out and replaced the broke Borla muffler with a Flowmaster because he needed a working exhaust...here's the story:

THIS IS WHY I WILL NEVER BUY A BORLA PRODUCT:

My buddy calls Borla and explains what happened to his muffler to them. Borla asks him to send them his old muffler so they can let their Q&A people look at it, and in return Borla will send his a whole new cat-back system, not just the muffler. They also request pictures of his current exhaust set-up. (so he sends them the muffler and pictures of his current system)

Well he gets the new Borla cat-back system from them and decides that he doesn't want to put it on his rig since he just dropped $120 for the Flowmaster and his system is currently fine.

Borla then calls and requests more pictures of the new cat-back system installed on his rig.

Well my buddy explains to them that he had to pay $120 for a working muffler and unless they are willing to send him the $120 he paid for it he isn't taking off his old system unless it breaks.

Borla refuses to pay the $120 then demands that he either install it and send them pictures of it installed or send back the whole new cat-back system or they will charge his creditcard for it.

My buddy tells Borla he'd be happy to send back the whole new cat-back system, but not until they return his broke muffler. (my buddy knowing full well that Borla has more then likely tore it to pieces).

Anyhow, now they are at a stand still and it's been ongoing for over 6 months. Borla still has his old muffler and he still has their whole new cat-back system in the box. He is afraid to sell it because they have his creditcard info so he's basically keeping a whole cat-back system as a trail spare.
    Last edited by PondScum; 03-17-04, 04:38 PM.
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
    AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
    15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
    33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
    FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
    Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
    RE Hand Throttle
    Optima Red Top
    K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

That sounds all good and well, but was he the original purchaser? I am the second owner of this product. Maybe I'll call anonymously and see what they have to say.

Thanks
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

just call them and talk to a rep. you can do it mang...
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341
          just call them and talk to a rep. you can do it mang...
          you wanna make a few bucks?
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

You need a irate female (or one that is good at B*TCH*NG and getting her way) to call. Customer service rep. hate dealing with a mad female and will give in to them. It always worked for me. (an X-girlfriend I had could B*TCH up a storm!!!) just a thought. Or if you still have the first owners info give hime a call and see if he will call to get it replaced.
            75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
              was he the original purchaser? I am the second owner of this product.

Thanks
              He was the origional purchaser of the header, but not the cat-back it was already installed on his jeep when got it. No one seemed to care at Borla though maybe because he was considered a customer due to the header purchase...

Give them a call worst thing they can say is no. You might want to add in that you've read alot about their muffler failures on various boards...etc. Bad product, and lack of consumer support are 2 things they won't want.
              [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
              AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
              15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
              33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
              FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
              Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
              RE Hand Throttle
              Optima Red Top
              K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

Originally posted by tonkadave
                You need a irate female
                ooh! ooh! pick me! pick me!! hahaah
                :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

It looks like Gibson is going to Warranty the Header. I took the header off since I'm shoving a new engine in my junk. I didnt even think it was THIS bad, check it out . . .

I'll work on getting Borla to warranty on Monday.

Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

What a P.O.S.

Comment

so whats the deal here? did they stand behind their products?
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                      X