Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bed and Breakfast in Calico update...

We would like to update MJR members and visitors on the Bed and Breakfast in Calico Ghost Town that we have been attempting to get the County of San Bernardino to approve. As some of you might remember, late last year we posted here at MJR that we were proposing to the S.B. County to open a B&B just east of the main entrance of Calico in a 3 story dome house that the county ownes. This house has been owned by the county since 97' and all they use it for is storage for decorations and misc for the town.

We received a letter with their decision to decline our proposal based on the county doesn't exaclty know what they are going to do with the property and the dome house. In talking to Bill Harmon, Staff Analyst for S.B. County Regional Parks Dept.( basically the person that sets forth in motion any new business in the regional parks), he informed me that as interesting as the B&B seems to him and many others, the county hasn't reached a decision as to the future of that property. There is a thought of tearing down the building since it isn't completed and only used for storage. I expressed the ability to generate more revenue for the county through the B&B and that the building wouldn't continue to weather away as it has been doing for the past 12 years. He explained that the decision of the property is not up to him, but to the county supervisors instead.

We were told by someone that a petition would gather alot of attention from those in S.B. and that they might consider negotiating a deal that would benefit the county at no out of pocket expenses.

Our question is, how could a petition get started here at MJR and is it ok to do that? If that could be done, we would ask all of you to help us out and sign the petition.

Thank you for all you r support
    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

I'm sure that the County of San Bernardino would rather hear the opinions of its residents but I would sign. My wife and I have stayed at the Oak Tree Inn in Calico. She might be more willing to make the trip if we were staying at your B&B.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

try IPetitions.com...Its free and easy to use and maintain.

I had great luck with using them in the fight to Save Johnson Valley. (www.savejohnsonvalley.com)

Get it up and running, and Ill sign it

Tam
      2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
      Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

I think a petition about the tourist draw aspect of a nice B&B near some of our favorite trails would be well received regardless of the fact that most of the tourists are not from San Berdoo county.
        Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
        Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
        HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

You might try contacting Brad Mitzelfelt'a office, he's the County Supervisor for the desert region of the county. He's a business friendy guy. Couldn't hurt. Here's his number: (909) 387.4830
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
            You might try contacting Brad Mitzelfelt'a office, he's the County Supervisor for the desert region of the county. He's a business friendy guy. Couldn't hurt. Here's his number: (909) 387.4830
            Thank you very much Roger. I will call him first thing tomorrow.
            I think anyone signing a petition for a tourist type business could be signed by any resident
            Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Working...
            X