Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I Know Bev"

My father is very involved in the Volkswagen Vanagon community. No surprise it is very similar to the Jeep community. On the drive to Anza last weekend he told me a story that I am still thinking about. So it must be worth sharing. He told me about a lady named Bev Beam. She is 78 years old and has been an active member in many Vanagon clubs and organizations for a long time. She lives in Oregon but spends a lot of her time with a Vanagon club in Washington called the "WetWesties". Some time ago Bev was overwhelmed with repairs needed on her van. She talked about getting rid of her van because she could no longer keep it up. The WetWesties club stepped in and began to maintain Bev's van for her. In order to drum up volunteers the WetWesties printed up some bumperstickers that simply said "I Know Bev". Because of these bumper stickers Bev Beam is somewhat of a celebrity. All over the country you are likely to see Vanagons with the very sought after "I Know Bev" sticker. The story came up on the way to Anza Borrego because my father had just spent Thanksgiving weekend in Anza with some of his Vanagon friends. While they were camping they took a drive up Aroyo Seco Del Diablo wash to do some exploring. And just a few miles up the wash from their camp they found Bev camping in her van all alone. They invited her back to their camp and shared their Thanksgiving meal. What a great story. I think the vehicle that we have in common, in our case jeeps, is only half of the addiction. The other half is the community. I'm very appreciative to have a group of friends to share the trail with.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Cool story Scott,Thanks for sharing
    Dennis and Tammy
    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Scott,

I totally agree with on the community aspect. I have gained so many new friends since joining MJR. I'm talking close friends. I have never been involved with so many truely great people as there are on this forum.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Ahh, it warms the heart. :beer: anybody up for a "I know Mitch" bumper sticker? :hide:
        :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
          Ahh, it warms the heart. :beer: anybody up for a "I know Mitch" bumper sticker? :hide:

Where do I place my order?
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Ill take two
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

The question is: Who doesn't know Mitch?

Comment

S o m

The comedian Redd Foxx once said that his fathers name was Mitch... so that made him "The son of Mitch".
                That was the cleaned up TV version.
                All slow and no show

Comment

Working...
                X