Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a boxcar in JV?

I have not done much exploring in JV. I picked up a map and it says "Box car" with a black spot right off of Camp Rock rd.

Is there a Box car from a train out there? Or is that the name of something else?

it's there as described
    part of mine operations I suppose
    there's another out there as well......

Comment

I got really curious so I went and found it. Built in 71, last overhauled in 79. I wonder what was going on in that area 30 years ago that they needed a boxcar.

And who's idea was it to put it on the map.

I also found a windmill that pumps water. The pump was working but no water coming out.

I used the trip to test out my new GPS......It got lost.

Comment

Chris,

The Boxcar is at the Camp Rock Mine. The mine was mainly a placer gold area that might have had a tunnel (adit) at one time. I've taken photo's of it before but couldn't find it again amongst the thousands I have. If you start looking and exploring the desert area you'll be a busy, busy man! I've only explored there for a couple of years and can't believe what I've found.

How about this one?

Mitch

Comment

Oh I've seen that caboose. There was an article about it in the Daily Press about 15 years ago. A guy was going to build a park out there.

I've been wanting to go exploring in JV but so far all I have found are whoopdedoos. My Jeep is stock so no rockcrawling for me.

Comment

Chris,

Your stock Jeep will get you all over the desert there. We will need to hook up and explore. Every time I find 5 things I was looking for, I find 3 more to check out next time. Keeps you coming back!

Mitch

Comment

I was out on Galoway dry lake Friday night goofin off. Found a bunch of guys that flew in and landed their planes on the dry lake to go camping!

I ended up East of the larger sand dunes, I think I was at the top of one of the hammer trails because there wasn't no way I could have gone down that canyon.

Finally found the dunes but they were to beat up to try to drive on.

Comment

Working...
              X