Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for part time work in Barstow

I am currently taking a job at NASA's Deep Space Communication Center in Fort Irwin next month. We are also in the process of opening a Bed and Breakfast in Calico Ghost Town in the next yr or so. I will be staying up there Mon thru Fri and returning home for the weekend. The job at Fort Irwin for the first 90 days isnt enough to support 2 households till my family moves up there in June of next yr which is why I looking for a job Mon thru Thurs in late afternoon and evenings for 4 to 5 hours a day. I am a foreman electrician of 22 plus yrs and very mechanically inclined. I have also worked in sales and I do have some management skills as well. If anyone knows of or maybe ownes a small business that is in need of some extra help, please P.M. me. I will take anything that is available that will work with my schedule.

Thank you.
    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

I would look on USAJOBs or what ever the website is for govt jobs. There are some good ones at FT Irwin... I would also look at the stuff on base ( bowling alley, PX)
    Head nut at Outdoorlogic
    Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
    www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

And don't forget to let us know when you get the B&B up and running!
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
        And don't forget to let us know when you get the B&B up and running!
        Most definitely. We are hoping that MJR members and a internet website can really help us get it off the ground and running. We have sent off the proposal to San Bernrdino for the approval of leasing the building. We are hoping to hear a response in the next month or so. If approved, then its construction phase for the next yr or less.
        Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyrig View Post
          I would look on USAJOBs or what ever the website is for govt jobs. There are some good ones at FT Irwin... I would also look at the stuff on base ( bowling alley, PX)
          I didn't even think of the bowling alley and px. Great idea. I forgot that the base is just a city within a fence line.
          Thank you for the suggestion.

Comment

Barstow has a Home Depot, Walmart, and the Lenwood mall. You might have some success there. With your Electrical background, I would suggest apply at Home Depot first. I think the railroad is always looking for electricians. (I'm not sure if the Barstow yard is BNSF or UP).
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

x2 about Home Depot. I used to know the HR person over there. Home Depot has sence removed their HR people and use the managers. Anyway, that Home Depot has a hard time filling positions due to the locals can't pass the drug screen. It's true. The pay usually isn't bad. Whatever they offer, counter back. I know more than a few people who have worked there and starting pay was $14hr! To get an $16-$21 you need a license in the field (IE; electrical, plumbing, etc)

Good luck
              Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                x2 about Home Depot. I used to know the HR person over there. Home Depot has sence removed their HR people and use the managers. Anyway, that Home Depot has a hard time filling positions due to the locals can't pass the drug screen. It's true. The pay usually isn't bad. Whatever they offer, counter back. I know more than a few people who have worked there and starting pay was $14hr! To get an $16-$21 you need a license in the field (IE; electrical, plumbing, etc)

Good luck
                Ron
                Thanks for the insight on Home Depot. I can see the drug screening for locals might be a bit sticky. I might have to take a drive up there Sun. I need to get something part time with in the next week or so so I can take the position at NASA.
                Thank you all for your suggestions.:thumbs_up

Comment

How is your job search going?

I forgot to mention that the Marine Base in Yermo is looking for a lot of workers. Seems they also can't fill their positions. They are rebuilding everything returning from Iraq & Afganastan.
                  SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                  MJR moderator
                  MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                  X