Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 (HUMMER) Talk?!?!?!?!?!?!?

A much older friend of ours has an H1 Military Hummer. He's always mentioned that we should offroad together but we've never really had the chance to make time.

Recently I sent him the video of Hammerdown and this is what he replied...

"Let me know the next time you guys go out, you can use my help. Good job offroading by the way"

Now I don't get offended very easily but when I read "you can use my help" I thought to myself...is this guy joking? Is this guy serious? Please someone tell me this was a joke.

No offense to the military hummer. I do believe in their offroad capabilities but just the thought of him saying "you can use my help" just didn't sit too well with me.

Makes me wonder if that's the mentality of H1 owners?

That statement makes me want to take him to bullfrog and leave him stuck between two boulders and just poke & laugh.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts on this.

Personally, I'll go further with my open diffs than him with his H1 and all the fancy buttons on his console.

I think I will take his ass to Cakewalk and leave him at the narrow "descent" area stuck between the two boulders.
    Let's see who can use who's help now.

The Nerve!

Any thoughts?

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

What happened Bash . . . did you get back from the honeymoon and have to go back to work or something? He's got to be joking . . . Those H1's are pretty sweet, but they are so big they wouldn't even fit on half the trails we run.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

I'd have to agree with ^^^^ upstairs. I have seen
      H1's out in the open desert running around, but come on, up a canyon that even my 76' full size cherokee would squeal about. A H1 has got to be about 2 feet plus wider with a turning radius of a suburban, well, maybe not a suburban, but definitely not like a jeep. I do give the H1 credit though, they are well versed in rugged terrain, but not meant to crawl the rocks and crevis'. The guy had to be joking, or has never been in a jeep before. I know the first time I took mine out, I was shocked at what and where it could go successfully. Maybe you should take him up on his offer and show him the "ropes". Just my :2: worth.
      Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrBash View Post
        Makes me wonder if that's the mentality of H1 owners?....Any thoughts?
        A lot of them have a mentality all right. While I have wheeled with a couple out in Nevada that were way cool and understood whats up rig capability wise. Most are not like that. I like the pictures of the yellow hummer showing how great his (LOL) suspension flex is. I say take him to gatekeeper in Calico or the hammers in Johnson Valley. Either way, set up a nice run and post it and let nature take it's course...MATT
        "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

About 6 or 7 of them on Dishpan Springs a few years ago. They have a club, H1 Psycho Squad. We let them go past us, and watched them go up the falls.

Comment

Shant,

Please tell me when you go. I would love to see this. I ran Bullfrog last weekend and it's real fresh in my mind.......And the H1 won't cut it out there. Probobly nice on the dirt road on the way, but the first squeeze spot and he's done. It reminds me of an old saying that I hear in the back of my mind when I go out there.

I can picture all that yellow paint embedded into the rocks! Lets set him up for a run.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
              I can picture all that yellow paint embedded into the rocks! Lets set him up for a run.

Mitch
              "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Oh I'm going to set it up alright. Although I'm too nice at heart too take him somewhere I know he can't get thgrough for sure. So we'll just keet it simple. We'll take him to John Bull and see how his control arms do through the smaller boulders...

I'll post up when I get it a go.

I'm busy this Sunday at a Rally in Glendale against and Armenian/Turkey Protocol so hopefully in the next few weeks. Maybe we'll get in some rain by then as well

he he he

Comment

I still can't get over the idea that people think that the military Hummer was meant to be an "off-road" vehicle. 'Rugged' and 'tough', 'four wheel drive' and 'high clearance' ok, but that is to get past the busted concrete and detritus in the streets of war-torn cities, not to go willy-nilly through fields and stuff.

well, remember he is a friend, not an enemy... and so yer gonna want to take him somewhere do-able otherwise he will know right off yer tryin' to screw his rig up. even though it's real easy and fun to do- also keep in mind that it doesn't matter what kind of winch you got, you are not going to be able to help that big yellow submarine if its gets stuck. And if you take him out to the hammers, the tube buggies will just drive right over him...
                  :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                    I still can't get over the idea that people think that the military Hummer was meant to be an "off-road" vehicle. 'Rugged' and 'tough', 'four wheel drive' and 'high clearance' ok, but that is to get past the busted concrete and detritus in the streets of war-torn cities, not to go willy-nilly through fields and stuff.

well, remember he is a friend, not an enemy... and so yer gonna want to take him somewhere do-able otherwise he will know right off yer tryin' to screw his rig up. even though it's real easy and fun to do- also keep in mind that it doesn't matter what kind of winch you got, you are not going to be able to help that big yellow submarine if its gets stuck. And if you take him out to the hammers, the tube buggies will just drive right over him...
                    Ya, I can never bring harm to a fella offroader. I will however stir up a convirsation asking if he thinks his H1 can offroad better than my little TJ. We'll go from there

Comment

Shant,

I saw what you did to your boy Khoren, you almost hurt him! And it also scared the crap out of a few of us that were there.

And my Turkey Protocol is, rub it well with butter and fresh garlic, then a nice dry rub over that. Stuff it loosely with fresh celery, carrots, and onions. Makes for a great crust when roasted!

Good luck my friend with your cause, I only joke to keep a smile on your face, and I know that you know that. Peace

Mitch

Comment

The H1 Psycho Squad was #1 in hours in the SBNF AAT for many years with only 12 active members. The H1 Psycho Squad donated and cooked all the food last weekend for Kids on Public lands.

The H1 Psycho Squad runs every trail in the SBNF without any trouble. I have seen the H1 Psycho Squad run Odessa pulling 5000lb trailers without any problems. I have seen pictures of the H1 Psycho Squad running the trails at Moab.

The H1 Psycho Squad has removed many abandoned vehicles out of the SBNF including many that Jeeps tried and failed.

The list goes on and on.

I have wheeled with the H1 Psycho Squad on a few occasions and I wouldn't hesitate to wheel with them again.
                        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Doug,

Great point! I have also seen those guy's on the trail as well as in the OHV Magazine. Great guy's and always donating alot of time. But when they want to run Bulfrog.....Well, I just want to be there and see it!

Mitch

Comment

Maybe like the big pickups, those things are like bulldozers just push rocks and what not out of the way

Comment

H1 in Last Chance Canyon V-notch, July 2007

If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                              KI6MLU

Comment

Working...
                              X