Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health Care

Just a little btching and moaning here...

I woke up Monday with a kink in my ankle. Progressed to where I couldn't stand on it. So I went to Urgent Care on Thursday. I have Pacificare with Lakeside Medical Group. Doctor takes x-rays and comes in to tell me its broken. How I broke it...I dunno. Tells me an Orthopedic will call me to put on a cast.

Friday, no call. I call Urgent Care to see whats going on...they don't open till Noon. So I call Pacificare, and told to call my primary physician. I call them, and they put in an referral for me. They also tell me to call Urgent Care, because they're referral will probably go through first.

I call Urgent care at noon, and told they'll call me back in a minute. 30 minutes later, I call them. "We're busy right now, I'll call you in a few minutes!" 30 minutes later (1 hour total) they call me and give me a referral authorization number. I call the Ortho Dr. and I'm told next appointment is on Monday afternoon! Not acceptable!!! I'm sitting here with a broken ankle, and they're telling me I have to wait till Monday to see an Orthopedic!

So I call Lakeside Medical Group Customer Service number. Her response is, "wow, Monday is quick!" WTF!?!? I ask if they really expect me to lay around with a broken ankle until Monday. She then asked if Urgent Care didn't put a temp cast on it. No, they didn't! Did they give me a brace? No, they didn't! What did they give you? My response, "A bill to pay." I told her I could not wait until Monday. Her response was, "Well, you can't expect the doctors to change their schedules because you got hurt!" THIS is customer service!!! I just hung up.

So, I call Pacificare to complain about this. I asked to see ANY ortho outside Lakeside Medical Group. "Sure, let me transfer you, and they'll give you an Authorization number." I'm on hold for nearly an hour, and then I'm told I "cannot see a doctor outside my medical group, unless I'm injured out of town."

So I take myself to ER. I would have done this in the first place if I suspected my ankle was broken. ER Doc tells me it is not broken. He see's a fracture that is probably more than 10 years old. He splints my ankle, gives me crutches, with at home care instructions. Why the heck couldn't Urgent Care do this!?!? Now my ankle is supported till Monday, when I can see an Orthopedic.

I guess I can't complain too much, cuz if the health care was Universal, I would have had to wait 6 months for treatment!

Rant over

Urgent cares usually use PA. That's why. Has something like that happen in the past. Took ex down after a ATV accident. Took her to the ER she got some stuff done (IE; xrays, meds, etc) they wrapped it and called it. We went home. It got worse. We went to urgent care and had "DR Mike's" take care of it. WOW WHAT A MISTAKE. After we keep going back saying it was getting worse, they said it looked better. Well, the last time I was pissed. I was ready to argue. The Nurse who was testing to be a PA came in the room (after the doctor walked out) and said to leave and go the ER right away, my ex was about to loose her leg!! No joke. We walked out and left. We went straight to the ER. Guess what? They admitted her for 14 days with IV's. All is well now. But, never again.

Ron

Comment

yeah, only go to Dr. Mikes for a Z-pac, otherwise they are useless. And the liveries in that place! I havent seen badging like that since the last nascar race I was at, I didn't know so many pharmasutical companies gave out free samples till I went to Dr. Mikes.

Oh, sorry to hear about the ankle though, that sux... at least it's not broken!
      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Steve,

I'm sorry to hear about your ankle injury. I broke my ankle about 20 years ago (I knew it was definitely broken because my foot was pointing about 45 degrees off from the right direction). The ambulance, ER, surgery, pin, plate, seven screws and 4 days in the hospital came to about $40,000. My deductible/co-pay was $600 and insurance took care of the rest. I haven't had any major accidents/illnesses since that time, so I don't know what it would cost today.
        Since I travel a lot, I have chosen an "indemnity plan" where I can choose my own doctor instead of a "preferred provider plan (PPO)" or "health maintenance organization (HMO) plan". The indemnity plan is more expensive and has higher deductibles, but does give me more choices for health care.

Russ
        If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
        KI6MLU

Comment

Russ, aren't you on medicare?????
          1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Working...
          X