Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Privacy on the web

As you probably know, Google and the other major search engines keep track of every search as well as purchases you make on the internet. The government could easily obtain this information.

In case you are interested, http://www.startpage.com/ state they do not keep any records of searches made on their search engine.
    Last edited by Roger; 08-11-09, 06:27 AM.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

The only way to have privacy on the web is to not use the web.

Silly...

As a SysAdmin, I can tell you that I own EVERY bit of traffic that passes through one of my servers. All of it. Every email, every form field element that gets passed through, every bit of data that is stored on my machines. I own it, and I could do just about anything I wanted to with it, but of course I don't. That would be unethical. For that same reason, I don't read people's email as it passes through my SMTP server. But I could, and it would be legal.

People don't seem to get this simple fact.

People should also understand (but often don't) that every single thing you do on a company PC becomes the sole property of the company you work for. So, for example, if you have a sudden inspiration and write the next Great American Novel, but you do it on your work PC, that book is the Legal property of the company you work for, and they can do whatever they want with it.

Privacy on the internet...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

No such thing.
    '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

I agree that privacy is something that isn't possible on the internet.

However, I do see merit in trying to make certain things private. Internet searches aren't one of them. What exactly are people 'googling' that they're afraid of google storing that 'startpage' isn't? If I was that worried about internet privacy at that level, search privacy would be the least of my worries.

Non computer people (and even tons who call themselves such) don't know how the internet works. They don't understand the IP stack, the HTTP protocol, etc.

So your exact search phrase isn't known, well when you visit any site, they can record your IP address. If you're using an HTTP 1.1 compliant browser (don't know the statistic, but I have a feeling more than 98% of people do by now) you're also sending your operating system, browser, and much more information. That can all be logged, the time you're on a site is stored with cookies, and with the help of javascript there is a lot that is not "private".

If you really want your internet browsing to be "private" your best bet would be to use some sort of privacy proxy like "the cloak" or "proxy p2p".
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

You're going to put a tin hat on me, but ALL of our communications are logged anyway.

I saw it on PBS's NOVA. You may watch it online from the link.
        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Peteyg & Mat,

If you have time could you look into the start page website and figure out what the are doing so they can claim it's private?

As far as private web surfing, what if I was trying to find the book Anarchist Cook Book? That probably sends up a red flag somewhere..
          MJR moderator
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Ever hear of Carnivore?

Comment

Originally posted by DesertHare View Post
              Ever hear of Carnivore?
              No, what is it?
              MJR moderator
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                Originally posted by DesertHare View Post
                Ever hear of Carnivore?
                No, what is it?
                You should Google it
                If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                KI6MLU

Comment

The best discussion of Carnivore I've come across:
                  http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2...13_000657.html

Comment

As with any internet usage policy, the only guarantee you have that their privacy policy is legit is their word that it is. That is worth about....nothing.

There are plenty of programs out there that can mask your usage, but in the end, it's just data. Bits are bits. If I'm diligent enough, I can track it back. And again, if your data passes through MY server, I own it. Even if it's just being routed somewhere else. Even if it's encrypted. If I have enough patience, I can get it.

Typically, I don't have time for that crap, but there are people who do nothing BUT figure out ways to penetrate your security on the net. Again, the only way to have true privacy on the 'net is to not use it.
                    '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Working...
                    X