Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doors in CA

Anyone know if I can drive with no doors in California?

Thanks

You can, but the fuzz might get you for no drivers side mirror. Need to make a mod. Watch put for CHP!

Comment

If you have an old Jeep like myself, you can... HA! No mod needed.

Comment

Do it, man! That's what a Jeep's all about--no doors and no top. If you're a purist, you'll put the windshield down too (offroad). It's like a 4-wheel motorcycle except no helmet laws (yet).

Just be prepared to have every piece of paper sucked out of your rig. You may notice a reduction in efficiency at freeway speed because it makes your rig even less aerodynamic, but the reduction of weight (minus about 120#s for full doors) will make your rig a litter quicker and more agile.

I almost never use my full doors except in the freezing cold and sometimes not even then. Buy or make a mirror relocation bracket or buy some CJ-style mirrors for TJs (not sure there's actually a difference).
        holes = cowbell

Comment

you can get some bicycle mirrors that go right in the door hinges they will make it street legal or some sticky round mirrors that you normally stick on yer stock mirrors and just stick them on the console so you can look for lane changes. you can also not bother and if you get caught and ticketed then you just put the doors back on.

I have never been bothered about it though...
          :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
            you can get some bicycle mirrors that go right in the door hinges they will make it street legal or some sticky round mirrors that you normally stick on yer stock mirrors and just stick them on the console so you can look for lane changes. you can also not bother and if you get caught and ticketed then you just put the doors back on.

I have never been bothered about it though...
            Unfortunately, the fix it ticket process has changed. I found this out the hardway a few months ago when I got a ticket for not having covers on my off-road lights. I thought it would just be a fix it ticket . . . 10 bucks and a trip to the CHP . . . but no . . . now they hit you up with a straight violation and you have to pay 135 bucks . . . and you better fix it quick as the CHP told me, if they saw me that afternoon or the next day, they'd could hit me up with another violation and another 135 dollar fine. It's all about the money. Get some Harley mirrors . . . you can probably buy stock mirrors on Ebay for a few bucks or some after market ones for 20-30 bucks . . . they'll fit right into the hinge when the doors are off.
            That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

I used a cheepy mirror with a bolt and a wing nut thru the door hinge hole. I thought it would be just for compliance when I put it on but it works better then my factory mirrors!
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by schmo View Post
                i found this out the hardway a few months ago when i got a ticket for not having covers on my off-road lights.
                what?! Are you serious? You learn something new every day here on mjr.

Comment

Not to digress from the thread, but there's some case law regarding "offroad lights." As I understand it, if they're not more than 48" (or was it 40"?) above the ground then they can be considered "driving lights," which, by definition, do not have to be covered.

I'm glad this came up, because I'm getting ready to put 5 new offroad lights on my rig; 2 will be on my bumper, and 3 will be above my windshield. Only 1 currently has a cover (an 8" HID ) and I was curious as to how enforcement is going.

As far as the mirrors go, just make sure you have at least a driver's side mirror of some sort. Make extra sure that seatbelts are used.
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                    Not to digress from the thread, but there's some case law regarding "offroad lights." As I understand it, if they're not more than 48" (or was it 40"?) above the ground then they can be considered "driving lights," which, by definition, do not have to be covered.
                    30"

VC Section 24403
                    Fog lamps on vehicles other than motorcycle, number 2, height 12 to 30 inches, properly adjusted. On motorcycle height of 12 to 40 inches, properly adjusted.

Here is a list of violations that we are all in vioaltion of one way or another. I know I am. About 1/4 of the way down talks about lighting.
                    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/lov/lovd12.htm
                    Check out .

Comment

That contradicts the case law then, which was only a Superior Court ruling anyway. Must be newer?
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

first about doors, I do not know the code for a newer vehicle but my 70 cj6 has no doors and I run it all over.
                        about lights, most cops could not quote the lighting laws as they change to much, A friend of mine got pulled over and they finally gave up because he had the current code in the FJ Cruiser he owns, Which has more lights than a power plant.

CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE
                        :: SECTION 24400-24411

California vehicle codes index

24400. During darkness, every motor vehicle other than a
                        motorcycle, shall be equipped with at least two lighted headlamps,
                        with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, and,
                        except as to vehicles registered prior to January 1, 1930, they shall
                        be located directly above or in advance of the front axle of the
                        vehicle. The headlamps and every light source in any headlamp unit
                        shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than
                        22 inches.

24401. Whenever any motor vehicle is parked or standing upon a
                        highway any headlamp that is lighted shall be dimmed or on the lower
                        beam.

24402. (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two
                        auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less
                        than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches. Driving lamps are lamps
                        designed for supplementing the upper beam from headlamps and may not
                        be lighted with the lower beam.
                        (b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two
                        auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less
                        than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches. Passing lamps are lamps
                        designed for supplementing the lower beam from headlamps and may also
                        be lighted with the upper beam.

24403. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two
                        foglamps which may be used with, but shall not be used in
                        substitution of, headlamps. Foglamps shall be mounted on the front
                        at a height of not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches and so
                        aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity
                        portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall
                        at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of four
                        inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes.

24404. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two
                        white spotlamps, which shall not be used in substitution of
                        headlamps.
                        (b) No spotlamp shall be equipped with any lamp source exceeding
                        32 standard candlepower or 30 watts nor project any glaring light
                        into the eyes of an approaching driver.
                        (c) Every spotlamp shall be so directed when in use: That no
                        portion of the main substantially parallel beam of light will strike
                        the roadway to the left of the prolongation of the left side line of
                        the vehicle.
                        That the top of the beam will not strike the roadway at a distance
                        in excess of 300 feet from the vehicle.
                        (d) This section does not apply to spotlamps on authorized
                        emergency vehicles.
                        (e) No spotlamp when in use shall be directed so as to illuminate
                        any other moving vehicle.

24405. (a) Not more than four lamps of the following types showing
                        to the front of a vehicle may be lighted at any one time:
                        (1) Headlamps.
                        (2) Auxiliary driving or passing lamps.
                        (3) Fog lamps.
                        (4) Warning lamps.
                        (5) Spot lamps.
                        (6) Gaseous discharge lamps specified in Section 25258.
                        (b) For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp
                        system shall be considered as one lamp.
                        (c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any authorized emergency
                        vehicle.

24406. Except as otherwise provided, the headlamps, or other
                        auxiliary driving lamps, or a combination thereof, on a motor vehicle
                        during darkness shall be so arranged that the driver may select at
                        will between distributions of light projected to different
                        elevations, and the lamps may, in addition, be so arranged that the
                        selection can be made automatically.

24407. Multiple-beam road lighting equipment shall be designed and
                        aimed as follows:
                        (a) There shall be an uppermost distribution of light, or
                        composite beam, so aimed and of such intensity as to reveal persons
                        and vehicles at a distance of at least 350 feet ahead for all
                        conditions of loading.
                        (b) There shall be a lowermost distribution of light, or composite
                        beam so aimed and of sufficient intensity to reveal a person or
                        vehicle at a distance of at least 100 feet ahead. On a straight
                        level road under any condition of loading none of the high intensity
                        portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an
                        approaching driver.

24408. (a) Every new motor vehicle registered in this state after
                        January 1, 1940, which has multiple-beam road lighting equipment
                        shall be equipped with a beam indicator, which shall be lighted
                        whenever the uppermost distribution of light from the headlamps is in
                        use, and shall not otherwise be lighted.
                        (b) The indicator shall be so designed and located that when
                        lighted it will be readily visible without glare to the driver of the
                        vehicle so equipped. Any such lamp on the exterior of the vehicle
                        shall have a light source not exceeding two candlepower, and the
                        light shall not show to the front or sides of the vehicle.

24409. Whenever a motor vehicle is being operated during darkness,
                        the driver shall use a distribution of light, or composite beam,
                        directed high enough and of sufficient intensity to reveal persons
                        and vehicles at a safe distance in advance of the vehicle, subject to
                        the following requirements and limitations:
                        (a) Whenever the driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming
                        vehicle within 500 feet, he shall use a distribution of light or
                        composite beam so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into
                        the eyes of the oncoming driver.
                        The lowermost distribution of light specified in this article
                        shall be deemed to avoid glare at all times regardless of road
                        contour.
                        (b) Whenever the driver of a vehicle follows another vehicle
                        within 300 feet to the rear, he shall use the lowermost distribution
                        of light specified in this article.

24410. Headlamps arranged to provide a single distribution of light
                        not supplemented by auxiliary driving lamps are permitted on motor
                        vehicles manufactured and sold prior to September 19, 1940, in lieu
                        of multiple-beam road lighting equipment if the single distribution
                        of light complies with the following requirements and limitations:
                        (a) The headlamps shall be so aimed that when the vehicle is not
                        loaded none of the high-intensity portion of the light shall at a
                        distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of five inches
                        below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes, and in
                        no case higher than 42 inches above the level on which the vehicle
                        stands at a distance of 75 feet ahead.
                        (b) The intensity shall be sufficient to reveal persons and
                        vehicles at a distance of at least 200 feet.

24411. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be
                        equipped with not more than eight lamps for use as headlamps while
                        the vehicle is operated or driven off the highway. The lamps shall
                        be mounted at a height of not less than 16 inches from the ground, or
                        more than 12 inches above the top of the passenger compartment, at
                        any place between the front of the vehicle and a line lying on a
                        point 40 inches to the rear of the seat occupied by the driver, shall
                        be wired independently of all other lighting circuits, and, whenever
                        the vehicle is operated or driven upon a highway, shall be covered
                        or hooded with an opaque hood or cover, and turned off.
                        censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR View Post
                          first about doors, I do not know the code for a newer vehicle but my 70 cj6 has no doors and I run it all over.
                          about lights, most cops could not quote the lighting laws as they change to much, A friend of mine got pulled over and they finally gave up because he had the current code in the FJ Cruiser he owns, Which has more lights than a power plant.

CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE
                          :: SECTION 24400-24411

California vehicle codes index

24400. During darkness, every motor vehicle other than a
                          motorcycle, shall be equipped with at least two lighted headlamps,
                          with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, and,
                          except as to vehicles registered prior to January 1, 1930, they shall
                          be located directly above or in advance of the front axle of the
                          vehicle. The headlamps and every light source in any headlamp unit
                          shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than
                          22 inches.

24401. Whenever any motor vehicle is parked or standing upon a
                          highway any headlamp that is lighted shall be dimmed or on the lower
                          beam.

24402. (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two
                          auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less
                          than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches. Driving lamps are lamps
                          designed for supplementing the upper beam from headlamps and may not
                          be lighted with the lower beam.
                          (b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two
                          auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less
                          than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches. Passing lamps are lamps
                          designed for supplementing the lower beam from headlamps and may also
                          be lighted with the upper beam.

24403. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two
                          foglamps which may be used with, but shall not be used in
                          substitution of, headlamps. Foglamps shall be mounted on the front
                          at a height of not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches and so
                          aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity
                          portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall
                          at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of four
                          inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes.

24404. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two
                          white spotlamps, which shall not be used in substitution of
                          headlamps.
                          (b) No spotlamp shall be equipped with any lamp source exceeding
                          32 standard candlepower or 30 watts nor project any glaring light
                          into the eyes of an approaching driver.
                          (c) Every spotlamp shall be so directed when in use: That no
                          portion of the main substantially parallel beam of light will strike
                          the roadway to the left of the prolongation of the left side line of
                          the vehicle.
                          That the top of the beam will not strike the roadway at a distance
                          in excess of 300 feet from the vehicle.
                          (d) This section does not apply to spotlamps on authorized
                          emergency vehicles.
                          (e) No spotlamp when in use shall be directed so as to illuminate
                          any other moving vehicle.

24405. (a) Not more than four lamps of the following types showing
                          to the front of a vehicle may be lighted at any one time:
                          (1) Headlamps.
                          (2) Auxiliary driving or passing lamps.
                          (3) Fog lamps.
                          (4) Warning lamps.
                          (5) Spot lamps.
                          (6) Gaseous discharge lamps specified in Section 25258.
                          (b) For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp
                          system shall be considered as one lamp.
                          (c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any authorized emergency
                          vehicle.

24406. Except as otherwise provided, the headlamps, or other
                          auxiliary driving lamps, or a combination thereof, on a motor vehicle
                          during darkness shall be so arranged that the driver may select at
                          will between distributions of light projected to different
                          elevations, and the lamps may, in addition, be so arranged that the
                          selection can be made automatically.

24407. Multiple-beam road lighting equipment shall be designed and
                          aimed as follows:
                          (a) There shall be an uppermost distribution of light, or
                          composite beam, so aimed and of such intensity as to reveal persons
                          and vehicles at a distance of at least 350 feet ahead for all
                          conditions of loading.
                          (b) There shall be a lowermost distribution of light, or composite
                          beam so aimed and of sufficient intensity to reveal a person or
                          vehicle at a distance of at least 100 feet ahead. On a straight
                          level road under any condition of loading none of the high intensity
                          portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an
                          approaching driver.

24408. (a) Every new motor vehicle registered in this state after
                          January 1, 1940, which has multiple-beam road lighting equipment
                          shall be equipped with a beam indicator, which shall be lighted
                          whenever the uppermost distribution of light from the headlamps is in
                          use, and shall not otherwise be lighted.
                          (b) The indicator shall be so designed and located that when
                          lighted it will be readily visible without glare to the driver of the
                          vehicle so equipped. Any such lamp on the exterior of the vehicle
                          shall have a light source not exceeding two candlepower, and the
                          light shall not show to the front or sides of the vehicle.

24409. Whenever a motor vehicle is being operated during darkness,
                          the driver shall use a distribution of light, or composite beam,
                          directed high enough and of sufficient intensity to reveal persons
                          and vehicles at a safe distance in advance of the vehicle, subject to
                          the following requirements and limitations:
                          (a) Whenever the driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming
                          vehicle within 500 feet, he shall use a distribution of light or
                          composite beam so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into
                          the eyes of the oncoming driver.
                          The lowermost distribution of light specified in this article
                          shall be deemed to avoid glare at all times regardless of road
                          contour.
                          (b) Whenever the driver of a vehicle follows another vehicle
                          within 300 feet to the rear, he shall use the lowermost distribution
                          of light specified in this article.

24410. Headlamps arranged to provide a single distribution of light
                          not supplemented by auxiliary driving lamps are permitted on motor
                          vehicles manufactured and sold prior to September 19, 1940, in lieu
                          of multiple-beam road lighting equipment if the single distribution
                          of light complies with the following requirements and limitations:
                          (a) The headlamps shall be so aimed that when the vehicle is not
                          loaded none of the high-intensity portion of the light shall at a
                          distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of five inches
                          below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes, and in
                          no case higher than 42 inches above the level on which the vehicle
                          stands at a distance of 75 feet ahead.
                          (b) The intensity shall be sufficient to reveal persons and
                          vehicles at a distance of at least 200 feet.

24411. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be
                          equipped with not more than eight lamps for use as headlamps while
                          the vehicle is operated or driven off the highway. The lamps shall
                          be mounted at a height of not less than 16 inches from the ground, or
                          more than 12 inches above the top of the passenger compartment, at
                          any place between the front of the vehicle and a line lying on a
                          point 40 inches to the rear of the seat occupied by the driver, shall
                          be wired independently of all other lighting circuits, and, whenever
                          the vehicle is operated or driven upon a highway, shall be covered
                          or hooded with an opaque hood or cover, and turned off.
                          It is always much better when people get info from the vehicle code and not by word of mouth.
                          1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
                            It is always much better when people get info from the vehicle code and not by word of mouth.
                            the internet is a super strong resource for such things and google can be your best friend. Carrying a copy of that around can prevent useless tickets as you have them show you where you are in violation. Notice it never says lights have to be interconnected only to come on when, it only says are used with high or low beams. I beat that ticket once.
                            censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by gmorell View Post
                              Anyone know if I can drive with no doors in California?

Then how do you roll down the windows when it's hot out?!?
                              :yay:

~C!~

Comment

Working...
                              X