Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto or 5-speed, why?

What do you prefer, and automatic or 5-speed? What are the pros and cons of each when out wheeling? How long does the clutch last etc? At first I was thinking I might let my wife drive this rig (which keeps my in an auto). However, after a lot of reading about roll overs and what not, I am thinking it might be better if she just goes along for the ride. So, that opens up a 5-speed, which I don't mind driving. Also, in my search it seems that 5-speeds are a lot easier to come across and cheaper to buy as well.

Feel free to move the thread if it doesn't belong here.

Thanks

there is + and - to each, for rock crawling and auto is sweet. it is like cheating. the only cons are that if you bash it and let out the oil your done, and if you get in a crazy angle the thing can go dry and you can loose power. the autos loose a little in the MPG dept, and they seem like they dont have so much power on the street. with an auto you cant really use Detroit auto lockers as well, because there is no clutch to put in to let the auto lockers dis-engage. this is a particular problem, easily overcome by selectable lockers. I run dual Detroits though, so I can't have an auto...

The 5 speed take a bit more work on the rocks, you have to have finess, some install a adjustable 'thumb throttle' so they can set the throttle and then have both feet for clutch and brake. I feather the clutch and gas and ignore the brake completely when I'm on the rocks, so long as I can. the pros are that you can use the 5 speed upside down if you want, no problems with extreme angles, if you let the oil out you can still move and repair it off-trail, more MPG, more 'power' on the street. You can use Detroit lockers real easy.

:2:
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

I love my 5-speed for the control. There are things that you can do in a manual that you can’t in auto. Like bump starting in an emergency. I think the most important thing you can do in a manual is compression braking. In steep loose trails you will lock up your rear tires a lot because you are using your brakes. But with compression braking you are applying brake to all four wheels equally.
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

many are changing their transmissions from the manual to the auto, and there is good reason they are going to the effort of doing so.

the auto is easier to drive over the rocks.
        it is less expensive to make do well in the big rocks negating the need for the atlas transfer case or similar.

if i didn't have all of the money wrapped up into my rig making it do well with the manual i would without a doubt swap to the auto transmission.

shoot for the 4 speed.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

This one gets asked a lot on 4X4 forums. Some like autos and some like sticks. I'll tell you what I have and did for my most recent purchase.

I have an '85 CJ7 that I have owned for years. Started out easy and just wanted a rig to go off road sometimes. Finally got to the point I really like rock crawling. I have a T-19 (632 firt gear), 4:1 transfer case gearing and 4.11 diffs. That is about a 105:1 crawl ratio. Allows for real nice control and you don't have to use your clutch much. Loved it. That is until I got my rockcrawler. It is an auto and geared a bit lower. Absolutely love it. Better control everywhere. I think most will agree that an auto is easier on the whole drive train. When I bought my JK last year I got an auto. I got the Rubicon so it came fairly low geared, but not as low as I like and will probably change that within the next year.

I think what you have to figure out what you would be happy with, but it and go wheeling.
          Rich

Comment

Automatics are definitely easier in the rocks, but if you're working with mud, sand, or snow, I think manuals are the way to go. I prefer manuals, because I tend to trust them a lot more than autos--more dependable in general. Now there are great autos and crappy manuals, but I'm making a generalization. How long your clutch lasts depends on how you drive it.
            Last edited by inVERt'D; 06-25-09, 08:25 PM.
            holes = cowbell

Comment

Chris (Dukes69) any comments? I figured you would be all over this thread....

Originally posted by gmorell View Post
              What do you prefer, and automatic or 5-speed? What are the pros and cons of each when out wheeling? How long does the clutch last etc? At first I was thinking I might let my wife drive this rig (which keeps my in an auto). However, after a lot of reading about roll overs and what not, I am thinking it might be better if she just goes along for the ride. So, that opens up a 5-speed, which I don't mind driving. Also, in my search it seems that 5-speeds are a lot easier to come across and cheaper to buy as well.

Feel free to move the thread if it doesn't belong here.

Thanks
              Drew
              95yj Six Pack

Comment

Having had 2 rigs, both TJ's built mostly the same (D30/D44, 4.88, stock t-case, 35 MT/R's) one a 5 speed and one an auto, I'll take the auto any day. Actually the manual is going to get swapped for the auto. Why should I be bothered with stalling, clutch modulating and playin with the stick. Just stick it in first and drive the thing. It's kinda like Nailer said, you will need an atlas and super deep gears. That puts alot of torque and stress on all the driveline stuff. Auto is very forgiving.
                [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Auto

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
                  Why should I be bothered with stalling, clutch modulating and playin with the stick. Just stick it in first and drive the thing. That puts alot of torque and stress on all the driveline stuff. Auto is very forgiving.
                  My toyota and my XJ were both stick. After two other rigs I had that were auto trans. to me the answer was obvious when I was looking for a TJ to buy. Automatic is the most user friendly off roading all together. More often then not it seems as it is in part due to a manual transmission that part breakage tends to happen more often. Fact, an automatic transmission is much more forgiving on parts period.
                  "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

my 2 cents.........I have a stick and very low gears, making my stick about as easy to drive as can be off-road. I will be swapping the tranny out to an automatic when I have the money. They are much easier to drive, and torque converters are your friend.
                    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

5-speed

2BUCK TJ has the NV 3550, Atlas 5:1, 4.88's, D60-D44. In the rocks, what a dream. You let the clutch out and it goes. On the highway, same as a stock. Shifting is second nature to me, I even shift my auto 4-Runner that way. Everything said above is good info to help you. If you drive an auto with both feet, and you are good at it (read-1' forward, hold and not 2' backwards) more power to you.

At work, a 2009 F-350 gas V-8 4x4 auto, drive by wire POS (sorry Ford fans, but they were the third lowest bidder). 2009 Cat 140M motorgrader, drive by wire, joy stick steering and blade controls ( auto trans switch not used). 2002 Gradall XL5100, With a Spicer 8-speed + 4 compound low manual, I only use the clutch
                      to move from a dead stop.

What can I say, I like positive shifts.

Just my 2 bits worth.

Steve

P.S. Why did it put a winky in four eigthy eights ?
                      Last edited by Dukes69; 06-26-09, 11:36 AM. Reason: The winky thing
                      All slow and no show

Comment

I love my 5 speed, great selection of ratios and manual trannies have served me well for years. I owned a FJ Cruiser for 2 years with their 5 speed auto, computer controlled and wish Jeep would step up and offer an Auto such as that, it has 3 different computer programs, one for 2 wheel drive, one for 4 high and one for 4 low, it is one of the best autos I have ever wheeled and in the 4 low programing it locks into a gear really well, you can almost think you are in a manual. Anyway Jeep is slow to change to stuff like that so with the offerings they have I prefer the manual trannies.
                        censored for having an opinion

Comment

I've got a '96 Saab with a computer controlled auto tranny, and you can click a button for "Sport Mode," or "Winter Driving" mode. On one hand, I think computer controlled trannys are a cool concept; programming offers near infinite flexibility within the tranny's mechanical limitations. On the other hand, computer controlled trannys don't work when there's a problem with the computer control system.

Recently the neutral safety switch/ gear selection sensor went out. This has been a problem with Saabs over the years, despite ongoing efforts to improve the device. Having had the thing open to attempt a rebuild, I can tell you they didn't skimp on this thing. It's about $360 to replace it, so I'm gonna try to fix it again. Meanwhile my once speedy, economical car is stuck in limp-home mode because the computer isn't sure which gear it's in. Now I have to floor it when the light turns green because it won't shift any lower than 3rd gear, no matter what I do with the shifter. I'm only getting 20 mpg. At this point, I would much rather have a conventional auto, or even better, a manual. This underscores why I have always preferred sticks--control, efficiency, and dependability. There is always a price to pay for convenience.
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

X6 or whatever got a auto 4 sp in my 05 LJ Rubicon and LOVE IT no issues on offcamber or steep climbs (add a high capacity oil tranny oil cooler) and you should be fine.
                            2002 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V-8 3.5OME 5100 JK Rubi Rims

"Never argue with a fool they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Comment

My first 3 jeeps were manuals (T-18A, T4 and T5) My YJ runs the A904 3 speed auto with the 4.0 and It is the best set up I have ever driven. Hands down the auto for me everytime.
                              An armed society is a polite society. Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                              X