Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something lost in translation...

I was researching Chinese plasma cutters when I found this referenced in another forum.

www.engrish.com
    holes = cowbell

I am going to bet it was a pop up in a "paid" forum

Comment

Entertaining for sure, but what did you find out about Chinese plasma cutters?
      Do they work for 5 minutes and then explode?
      Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
        no. they just explode
        Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by Tomb Raider 940 View Post
          no. they just exprode
          Fixed it for ya.

Comment

I am going to bet it was a pop up in a "paid" forum
            :confused: I think there's a joke there that went over my head? It was either Pirate or OffroadFabNet. Some guy was reviewing his China prasma cutter and the written directions inspired the posting of that url.

Originally posted by pdw View Post
            no. they just exprode
            Point well made, Womb Raider/ Stevens. If I answer this, however, it might take this thread off off-topic and onto on-topic. Actually, it seems that Chinese welders and cutters have improved a lot.

Most of the plasma cutters seem to be based on similar designs and even model #s, but they are not all equal in quality or construction. Apparently some have been caught making new machines with used/ refurbished mosfets, etc. Some are fairly well put together, and others have been jerry rigged together. Some people have had major hassles trying to replace consumables.

That stuff being said, some seem to be damned good for the price. Some users are reporting very positive things about there China prasma cutters after a year or more of use. For $500 bucks or less, you can get a machine that will sever cut 1"-1-1/8" or more, and easily cut 3/4".

Now I'm of the mindset that I'd rather pay once for a quality tool, blah, blah, blah. But I'm simply not going to put down $2,000 that I simply don't have, especially when I can get the job done for $250-$600. I had almost talked myself into buying an $1100 Miller 375 Extreme. Seems like an outstanding little machine from a good name. But it won't even sever cut more than 5/8". That's just not enough for what I'm buying it for, so in that way, it's broken right out of the box.

The Chinese machines are catching up to "American" machines. If I was using one for a business and liquidated damages, for instance, were on the line, I'd be depending on "American" machines (but experimenting with Chinese machines). For my purposes, however, the right Chinese machine will give me a lot more for my money. Notice I use quotes around "American." My Lincoln MIG was made in Indonesia--works damned good. My Milwaukee Magnum 1/2" VSR drill was made in China...I could go on. Warn winches are now being made, at least in part, in China. My T-Max "Australian" winch--China; Smittybilt winches now being made with T-Max parts--China, probably assembled at a different location than T-Max, hence some of the minor QC/ assembly issues.

Do I feel bad because I won't go deeper in credit card debt just so an American factory worker can keep his union job? Hell no.
            holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
            X