Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .com .me .info .biz .ca

what is the deal with these?
    i know .com is the standard, but is there something else preventing one from creating a site with the .biz, or .ca?

is it a search thing that pushes people toward the .com?

thinking of creating a site for my designs, and the .com is either all gone or they want a fortune for the namesake.

any thoughts on this?
    break it down for me.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

.com, .net, and .biz are supposed to be for business/ commercial purposes, so any of those would be appropriate for your business. .org is supposed to be for non-profit organizations/ purposes. .ca, .ru., ca.gov, .us, etc. are all reserved for governments. .ca is Canada, not to be confused with .ca.gov for the State of California, because .gov is U.S. (.us too); .ru is Russian Federation, .au is Australia, etc.

.com is prime real estate because it was the first url suffix to really gain popular awareness (as distinguished from geek awareness). www.something.com is just the pattern that comes most naturally to mind for most people. That is valuable in itself. Imagine you had a company that made luxurious goose down mattresses, some well-to-do lady wanted to find your website, probably the first thing that she might think to try would be www.nailerdownmattresses.com. She might have to sift through a bunch of Google crap before she found it was www.nailerdownmattresses.biz.

Not familiar with .info
    Last edited by inVERt'D; 06-16-09, 01:18 AM.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

When I see .biz for some reason I think of some slick sales company. I just get a negative feeling. No logical reason for the way I feel. But I think if I was going to create a website, I'd stick with .com.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

.com became popular and people hate change.

.net and .org are enough change to deal with, try hitting them with .info, .name, etc. and they'll run!
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
          .com became popular and people hate change.

.net and .org are enough change to deal with, try hitting them with .info, .name, etc. and they'll run!
          I have used net on sites that were not businesses, I found out people do not remember anything but com
          best way to cover yourself is to buy the .com, and then buy net,org, have those two pointed to the .com address so no one tries to use your hard work
          censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
            .com, .net, and .biz are supposed to be for business/ commercial purposes, so any of those would be appropriate for your business. .org is supposed to be for non-profit organizations/ purposes. .ca, .ru., ca.gov, .us, etc. are all reserved for governments. .ca is Canada, not to be confused with .ca.gov for the State of California, because .gov is U.S. (.us too); .ru is Russian Federation, .au is Australia, etc.

.com is prime real estate because it was the first url suffix to really gain popular awareness (as distinguished from geek awareness). www.something.com is just the pattern that comes most naturally to mind for most people. That is valuable in itself. Imagine you had a company that made luxurious goose down mattresses, some well-to-do lady wanted to find your website, probably the first thing that she might think to try would be www.nailerdownmattresses.com. She might have to sift through a bunch of Google crap before she found it was www.nailerdownmattresses.biz.

Not familiar with .info
            X2. Good job explaining. Let me add, I own a .com and have done my own web site (may not be the best, but I built it with no software). The part about search engines. They use "search words" on what's on your web site OR under your title. So, you could sell mattresses, but under your heading put hotels cheap, and the search engines would pick up the hotels, not the mattresses. It depends on the search engine. As some will go off the first few line of each web page and mattresses would be picked up under a search. I hope I explained it for you to understand? I use www.ipowerweb.com I have used them for about 5 yrs now for my .com and hosting.

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
              what is the deal with these?
              i know .com is the standard, but is there something else preventing one from creating a site with the .biz, or .ca?

is it a search thing that pushes people toward the .com?

thinking of creating a site for my designs, and the .com is either all gone or they want a fortune for the namesake.

any thoughts on this?
              break it down for me.
              You know what to do about all of that
              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Working...
              X