Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading to a national park? Now you can pack heat

I am not opposed to guns and believe in the right to bear arms but I hope nothing happens in our parks now that folks can bring guns into them. I'm sure there have been some incidents already that I don't know about, but now that it's really legal..
    2004 TJ X
    Callsign: KJ6DHG

I didn't hear about this. Give some more detail

UPDATE: Found this..
    http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/275171

http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/20...al_parks_guns/
    Last edited by Jeep4cern; 05-21-09, 12:21 AM.

Comment

really, what would happen? instead of a hiker getting mauled by a cougar, they can defend themselves? I don't understand the hesitancy of those that predict gunfights in the streets if everybody carries, it never happens! when Florida and Texas started the 'shall issue' laws crime went down! every place that allows the common citizen the right to defense become a safer place overnight.

But you are right, is lives are saved by a citizen that's packing heat at a national park you will never hear about it...
      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Yeah, I heard about this, my congressman Daryl Issa was one of the co-sponsors. Good bill, although it seems like you still can't in CA.

Basically it returns control of whether you can "pack heat" to the state, instead of being a federal rule of no concealed weapons.

Here is an excerpt from the e-mail I received from him about it:
        In its last days, the George W. Bush Administration lifted a 25 year old federal ban on carrying loaded concealed firearms in national parks. By lifting the federal restriction, the laws regarding carrying firearms in national parks would fall on the state(s) where the park is located. For example, in California it is illegal to carry concealed and loaded firearms in state parks, but in Montana it is not. In March of 2009, a federal judge blocked the former Administration's order from taking effect pending an environmental impact study of lead bullets, which is being conducted by the Interior Department. The Obama Administration has decided not to challenge the court's decision.

As a supporter of the Second Amendment I disagree with this decision and urge the Obama Administration to reverse its stance and fight it. It should be left up to the states on whether they wish to allow loaded firearms in their parks. Because of my strong feelings on this issue I have decided to cosponsor H.R. 1684, the "Preservation of the Second Amendment in National Parks and National Wildlife Refuges Act." The intent of this bill is to permanently lift the federal restrictions on carrying and transporting loaded firearms in national parks.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free contact me again and to visit my website at http://issa.house.gov.
        I heard HR1684 was added to some "credit card bill" yesterday that went through, although I can't find info on that...

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-1684
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I went salmon fishing in Alaska and the guy I was with brought his .45. Fishermen are killed every year by bears. To be out there without a way of protecting yourself is just foolish.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

This is for CCW permit holders only, from what I gather. It also is not transferable from state to state for CA residents. This is because CA will not honer other states CCW's so they will not honer ours.

Comment

Actually, several states honor CA CCW permits

AK, AZ, ID, IN, KY, MI, MO, MT, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY
              You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                Actually, several states honor CA CCW permits

AK, AZ, ID, IN, KY, MI, MO, MT, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf
                Thats good to know, I'm finally going to go ahead and get my CCW now. I used to believe staying out of the tracking system was the way to go. With all the new legislation coming at us, any gun owner will now be revealed with the new reloading laws.

Comment

They are going to be keeping close tabs on anyone here legally, so it's almost time to become an undocumented immigrant...

the only 'free' gun owners will be the unlicensed phamacists...

Comment

I heard it hard to get a CCW? I heard it's a simple class in UT though.

Comment

There are classes available here in CA as well, but ultimately it's up to the sherrif to approve...

Comment

The approval is hard to get because personal protection is not enough of a reason. I bet if you told them that your work frequently requires that you carry large amounts of cash that may be enough reason. I like to flip cars on the side to make a little money. Sure makes me nervous going to meet some guy when he know I will have 3-4k cash.
                        Those left standing
                        Will make millions
                        Writing books on ways
                        It should have been
                        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

hmm.. lots of cash in hand... that's why the 'unlicensed pharmacists' like to carry all the time.

Comment

Wow! This is great news!

My parents got back from a national park in Colorado (desert area) this month. My mom was telling me how there were signs all along the hiking trails warning of mountain lions. The signs said to call 911 or the ranger station if a lion is spotted - I laughed but she didn't, until I explained it to her. hehe :gun:
                            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Her cell works in a national park? how? what? who got the permit to put up cell towers in the national park? WTF? call 911? really?

Comment

Working...
                              X