Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took it out tonight and got stuck.

Well, we took it out tonight before dinner out with the family and got stuck over at deep creek and tussing ranch! There is soft sand there and hills. Tried one hill and she would go up it. Put her into 4x4 low. Nope. She dug down. Backed up, and took off. I didn't air down neither (probably my issue). Took it up another hill and we made it. Wife then says were done, lets go eat...lol. But, nope went down a small trail and realize the sand was really getting deep and soft. By this point we were stuck! Wife asked if I had anyone number to call. Nope. Only numbers I had no one had a 4x4. A few of you guys I could had call were not on my cell. Only at home. Little bit of panic set in as the little one was with us. Call out on cb. Nothing. No one picked us up or responded. I did air down AFTER getting stuck to 15psi. But, didn't help.

Someone did come by. No tow strap. He did have a ford ranger 4x4 4.0l Not enough on his stock 29" wheels to pull us out as we were up to the frame. He went back on got some shovels and wood. Brough back water, stuff for my son. Daughter was fine as she was 14yr old. After digging and more digging and more wood, and his jack to remove more sand, we tried it. Nope! He then got on the back for trackion and jumped up and down, and I felt it grab and I was out. Thank you lord! Really.

We did learn what we need when going out. Even local as we were. Lesson learned.

Side note: I will be looking into rebuilding the top end for some power out of her and re-gearing.

Ron
    Last edited by Jeep4cern; 05-17-09, 08:28 PM.

First lesson learned.

Never wheel alone.

Glad you were rescued

Welcome to the board btw.

Tam
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Ron,

We just had this talk when I came over! today we bumped into a girl stuck without any water, and just blazing in the sun. You all ways have to be prepared! This can happen on a trail or on the 15 Fwy! Extra water, extra medicine, Extra clothes, the problem can happen 1 mile from home! Oh yeah, call me when you need some back up!

Mitch

Comment

Wow sound like an adventure Ron.
        X2 on what Tam said. "never wheel alone".
        Next time air down before. You prolly would not have gotten stuck.

Glad you got out okay and put my # in you cell. THou

Scott

Comment

Yup, gotta make sure you know what your doing when you get out there, especially when it comes to the safety of your family...

Just this weekend we had to tow a quad and a dirtbike from the top of the waterfall to Crab Flats cause of inexperienced/unprepared people.

Cant always rely on someone to come to the rescue. Glad you got yourself and your family out though.
          |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Thanks Mitch and Scott Good advice Tam. Putting them both in my cell right now. It's funny, I am usually the one getting the call at 4am to come rescue someone on the highway. Had a neighbor call before. I said, no problem. I will be there. 1hr each way drive. He actually moved. But, glad to see there are friends here just like me

Comment

I agree Swbooking. It was one of those, "lets run up that hill really quick and get some dinner". Boy, we really learned!

Comment

A few weeks back Nick was on his way home from Big Bear going down Coxey Truck trail, and found a lone biker with his bike and boot (thankfully!) all wound up in barbed wire.

He was lucky that Nick came across him when he did!

Please dont wheel alone.

Tam
                2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

JeepGal,

I learned my lesson. I also learned what we need too when we go.

We could have walked a few miles and left the Jeep if push came to shove. Then called for someone. But, it's one of those, "lets dig a little more" and she will get out this time, as the sun sets, etc.

Comment

Mitch or Scott,

I might have one of you take it for a test ride. I really felt under powered out there even in 4-low in 1st gear. Thinking either cat and muffler are bad (I have smog test paper. Barely passed) if someone knows how to tell I can post the report.. Or the motor is tired, or rear end is needed.

Comment

Ron,

Give me a call. I use A Action Automotive right down the street from your house. Steve is the owner and has been a Jeeper, also he is Clays (tjclay) brother-in-law.

Mitch

Comment

[QUOTE=Jeep4cern;132149]JeepGal,

I learned my lesson. I also learned what we need too when we go.

Ron, like you said 'thank God'. There's always that chance...
                        I'm glad everything worked out for you, seems like you also have an extraordinary family pitching in!

One thing to put on your 'required list': Tow Strap. Even if you don't need it for yourself...theres always a chance you might use it for someone else in need.

Comment

and just to make sure, a tow strap WITHOUT metal hooks.

The ones with metal hooks are dangerous and shouldnt be used.
                          |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                            and just to make sure, a tow strap WITHOUT metal hooks.

The ones with metal hooks are dangerous and shouldnt be used.
                            Agreed..

Comment

Ron,

You wouldn't believe how many times I've ran into stranded bikes, quads, trucks, Jeeps etc. They had no water, food, communications equipment, first aid kit - nothing! People die from not being prepared.

Earning my Eagle Scout Badge when I was a kid I still subscribe to the Boy Scout motto: "Be prepared".

It sounds like you learned a valuable lesson over this. I'll PM you my phone numbers.
                              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                              MJR moderator
                              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                              X