Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat belt safety reminder.

I am not sure this is the place to put this but mods please move it to where you feel fit. I want to stress the importance of wearing your seat belt when traveling on and especially off road. There are times that us off roader can get into a predicament that that little strap could prevent injury or even posibly save your or someone elses life.
    I am bringing this up because last weekend a club member form the susuki samuari club Gadzuks rolled his suzuki 5 times down a 40 foot drop got thrown form the vehicle and broke his back. He was in surgery yesturday and is not parylized and doing well. But about 2 years ago a friend of a friend went jeepin with his buddy and rolled also got thrown but the jeep rolled over him and killed him instantly.
    I know form when I floped my jeep that even the stock seat belt is better than nothing. Who knows what would of happened to me or my buddy who I was hanging over when I went over. Being a well over 300 pound guy I surely would of smashed him but my seatbelt held true.
    I know you guys have heard it all before so this is just a little reminder. I have met quite a few of you great guys & girls and I dont want to see anybody get hurt. You must agree some of the trails we do can be very unforgiving if any mistake is made and usually will come up and bite you when you least expect it as it was in my case. Please buckle up especially on the trails it may save your life.

:thumbs_up Yeah, my sis told me to put my seatbelt on about 30sec before I flopped my Yeep, and I was ticked at her and grudgingly put my belt on, while my Daughter watched, (what a dumbass I was!) and while WTF! was running through my mind when the Yeep started to flop -because nobody really saw that one coming- the stock belt certainly saved me from a nasty head bashin' on the rocks that bent my rollcage & tore my top up.

Thanx again SIS!
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Beau, thanks for the reminder. Totally agree. Offroading, buckleling up should be just as natual reflex as if you were on pavement!

Comment

I saw a video of The hammer down trail with I wont say his name hanging out the door of his jeep with no seat belt on. That was just an accident waiting to happen. Especially as technicle as hammer down is. I am sure everyone want to have fun but its not so much fun when somone gets hurt or killed trust me I know. I wont get in to details so ask me about it on the trails.

Comment

I had a friend who wheeled without a seat belt frequently. We tried to convince him that was not a good idea. Unfortunately he rolled and passed away on a trail ride. Please wear your seat belts.

Also, our group usually wears a helmet when we run at the Hammers. Funny that sometimes I have not worn it when thinking we are not going to do crazy stuff and it feels uncomfortable without it. You never know when you might tip to your side or maybe even slip while walking the trail. My wife wears hers and I have another one for anyone who rides with me.
          Rich

Comment

Hey Chuck (dirtman13),

Do you wear your seat belt? You're a damn good friend and I would hate to loose a day's work going to your funeral.
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

its not just on the trails that your seatbelts important, but when some of those trailer hauled units are getting back onto the trailer they slide off the ramps. lots of people die/injured every year that way.
              :devil: Giffer

Comment

I've been guilty of not buckling up once. A couple of years ago I was letting my son drive. I got into the passenger seat and didn't buckle up. Russ yelled at me to put on my seatbeat. Thank you. I'm not used to sitting in the passenger seat but that does not excuse the fact that I didn't buckle up. You have to remember to set the example.

Comment

Beau,

Good reminder. Somebody on this site had a post reminding all of us to have the seat beat on before you start the engine. Rather basic, I always remember that.

Was the roll over on Friday? I heard a request for a 911 call for a off road vehicle rollover with injuries. I tried to get an accurate location and realized they they were in Stoddard Wells area near Base Camp, while I was on 3N16 Holcolm Valley Road in Big Bear.

Mitch

Comment

I am pretty sure it happened on Saturday. The guy that got hurt definatly was an experienced offroader he also is 72 years old. I have been offroading with him a couple of time and I tell you what this guy was prepared for anything never thought you could put so many tools and parts in a samuarai. any way I heard he got out of surgery yesturday and is doing fine. He had pins put in his vertabrea i guess to hold them together.

Comment

Working...
                    X