Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 xj problems

1987 xj problems
    Hey guys, I am looking at a 1987 (AMC) XJ it has the throttle body injection 4.0 motor, 5 speed with 150,000 miles. This jeep has been sitting for 5 plus years. I tried to fire it up today and it does not seem to be getting fuel. I put a few gallons of gas in it and it shows on the gauge. I primed gas through the air intake and it runs briefly 5 or 10 seconds and did this numerous times. Then the top end does not want to quiet down like it is not getting oil. I would think that the fuel pump is bad and there is no fuel at the injection pressure test bus bar but the oil thing I am not sure about.
    I have not really messed around much with a vehicle that has sat for years like that. Any ideas would be nice and yes I can get this for a song and dance cheap. interior is super clean no rips or tears for a 1987 and everything is there it's not a butcher job...Matt
    Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 04-30-09, 08:26 PM.
    "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

I would concentrate on the fuel issue first.
    Pull the fule filter off (under the car, drivers side, right in front of the tank), see if you can blow thru it; new filter or short length of hose for testing purposes.
    Check for power getting to the fuel pump; trace it backwards. There is a fuel pump relay under the cover in the relay center; RF passenger side if I recall; if the cover is still on/over the relays, the diagram will tell you which one. Plug and unplug, tap on them, etc. If all is working okay, the fuel pump will run for only a few seconds to pressurize the system with key in the run position; you should hear it run for those few seconds.
    The upper end oiling noise/racket could be just air in the lifters from sitting so long, or an exhaust leak; I'd get it running first before you deal with that.
    I'm not afraid of the mileage on that 4.0 engine if it was taken care of. ie no overheating and regular maintenance.

Comment

For as long as it sat, the fuel pump as well as the tbi injector could have bought the farm.
      See if you can keep it running long enough to get an oil pressure reading, if that is over 20 psi with a mechanical gauge then the clatter is just some stuck or collapsed lifters. Most likely will go away when it runs for awhile

Comment

After today's further inspection this seller straight tried to screw me over with lies and any other story to take my money. Good thing I caught that situation. There will be a second cherokee in my possesion in time,... just gotta watch out for snakes in the world like how this guy tried to burn me,... better things like this did not happen to ANY jeeper.....MATT....
        PS....thanks guys for the great advice.
        Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 05-02-09, 04:51 AM.
        "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Working...
        X