• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New investment strategy?

Guns: A better buy than stocks

Posted Apr 16 2009, 12:20 PM by Todd Harrison
    Rating:
    Filed under: investing, stock market, Todd Harrison

Forget stocks and bonds, the real money's in guns.

The Wall Street Journal reports artillery enthusiasts are stocking up on guns and ammo, not necessarily ahead of widespread civil unrest resulting from our ongoing economic swoon, but as an investment. These trigger-happy speculators are betting President Obama will institute a ban on assault rifles, which would crimp supply and send prices, well, shooting up.

For it's part, the Obama Administration says it has no plans to enact such legislation and supports the Second Amendment right to bear arms.

During the federal ban on semiautomatic weapons from 1994-2004, prices soared. Recent buying has reached almost a frenzied pitch, creating backlogs for popular models and enabling resellers to list certain guns well above suggested retail prices. AK-47s doubled in price between September 2008 and the end of last year.

Ammo, as well, has become a hot commodity. As one supplier said, "[Ammunition] beats the hell out of money markets and CDs. You can double your investment in ammunition in a year."

Equity investors, too, are betting on Americans arming themselves to the teeth. Smith & Wesson (SWHC), maker of Dirty Harry's weapon of choice -- the .44 Magnum -- has seen its stock jump from around $2 per share to over $6 since Inauguration Day. Still, shares are off around 70% from highs seen as recently as late 2007. Sturm Ruger (RGR), another gun manufacturer, has seen a rise of almost 100% in 2009.

As Minyanville's Kevin Depew is apt to say, "These are heady times we are living in." The Journal running a front-page story on buying guns rather than stocks is indicative of just how strange things have become.

Recent volatility in financial markets is driving Americans to seek alternative ways to protect -- and even grow -- their money. And while we're yet to see widespread construction of bunkers, protective trenches or armed militias patrolling the streets, the country is on edge to an extent not witnessed since September 2001.

I mean, pirates are all over the news for god's sake. Pirates!

Top Stocks blogging partner Todd Harrison is founder & CEO of Minyanville.com. This post was written by Minyanville Contributor Andrew Jeffery
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

[COLOR="Sienna"]"trigger-happy" ???

So anyone who invests in AT&T is "mouthy" or "gabby", and investors in medical supplies are "hypochondriacs"?

Labels are a bad thing. I would just call them "smart investors".[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
      [COLOR="Sienna"]"trigger-happy" ???

So anyone who invests in AT&T is "mouthy" or "gabby", and investors in medical supplies are "hypochondriacs"?

Labels are a bad thing. I would just call them "smart investors".[/COLOR]
      Name-calling is the game. The mainstream media is making sure you feel like less of a person or putting you in the crazy category so you'll feel like an outcast and join their global government goal. You can see it in almost any article! As another example, Kathy sent me this link this morning and I about threw the mouse out of the window: link

I agree with you. And guns are a good investment - they hold their value well, unlike your 401k.
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Paul Begala is clearly a sheeple.[/COLOR]
        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

I've been thinking about buying for a while, but I'm afraid that a lot of the current price jump is hype. I think what will happen is I'll buy a gun, and the gun "bubble" will pop and I'll default on my payment and the gov't will bail out S&W, Ruger, etc.

Maybe I should buy 10 guns I can't afford!
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
            Kathy sent me this link this morning and I about threw the mouse out of the window: link
            Fer cryin out loud!

Does this idiot seriously think his income taxes go towards Cancer research or Veteran benefits?!?

We should be proud to pay for grossly negligent over-spending from a completely ineffective, pork laden bureaucracy the size of a small country?!?

He's not a sheeple he's a F'ing puppet. He'll utter whatever bullshit the hand up his ass tells him to!

Mr. Begala, your head would better serve you as a plunger, since thinking doesn't seem to be your forte.

Sorry... I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue. :yay:

~C!~

Comment

Mr. Begala is a moron! How is it that someone this stupid gets to wite a commentary for CNN! Better yet, Who in their right mind would listen to him!

What a TOOL!
              "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Originally posted by avjeepfreek View Post
                Better yet, Who in their right mind would listen to him!
                Way too many would. SCARY STUFF MAN!

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                  Way too many would. SCARY STUFF MAN!
                  You are right sir!

Lord help us all!

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                    I've been thinking about buying for a while, but I'm afraid that a lot of the current price jump is hype. I think what will happen is I'll buy a gun, and the gun "bubble" will pop and I'll default on my payment and the gov't will bail out S&W, Ruger, etc.

Maybe I should buy 10 guns I can't afford!
                    I think that your right, there is alot of hype right now on the so called price jump, I went to pick up my new S&W .40 (Which I got at an extremely good price!) the other day and the guy at the counter was talking to another customer and the customer was going on and on about how hard it is to find certain models and how expensive they were. The clerk said, Naaaa, they are out there you can find almost anything you want, if you know were to look (Shop around) you can find them all day long at reasonable prices! He went on to say that ammo on the other hand is a totaly different story!

In the past few days I've been to several gun shops and seen alot of very affordable guns (S&W, Taurus, SIG, under $500) in some very popular calibers too so, they are out there and available!

Get'em now while you still can!
                    Last edited by avjeepfreek; 04-16-09, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Yep! I just got a 12ga 870 and a S&W .40 M&P! yeah boi! picked 'em up yesterday and shot 'em today!

Buy! Buy! Buy!
                      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

guns cost alot up here, plus its a pain in the a$$ to get all your licensing and stuff. you have to take mandatory safety courses among other things. pistols are the absolute hardest to get too. AKs are about as bad you have to get special "collector" permits if im not mistaken.

Comment

I was at Bass Pro a couple of weeks ago and they said gun sales have been real good since Obama was elected.
                          Rich

Comment

~C!~

Comment

Originally posted by CRASH! View Post

~C!~
                              A POSITIVE in his first 100 days! Woot!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X