Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ORO sway-loc = bad service

Sway-loc-
    What a friggin disappointment this thing is. Well, the concept is good, but longevity is lacking to say the least.

It seems there is a pretty severe design flaw with the early models of this thing, and mine broke well over a month ago. While out wheeling, and disconnected so it utilizes only the inner bar for maximum flex, the damn thing sheared off at the splines.

When I got home I called right away to ORO in an effort to get the replacement parts for repair, under warranty I would expect as it is a $600+ dollar sway-bar.

In talking to Steve he explained the flaw in the design and proceeded to offer the replacement at 50% off. Clearly this is not an option. That would make this a thousand dollar sway-bar.

Steve offered a USED center bar as a warranty replacement, and I explained to him that this was not an option, (especially since it has a design flaw) and that he needed to just send me the new model at no cost since the previous design was flawed. He reluctantly agreed.

A few weeks went by and I called in to check status on the replacement. They were still on order from the manufacturer, or on a ship or something… I explained that I have been unable to use my jeep since the breakage, and asked him to send me the used bar as a temporary fix.

I was then told I would have to pay $50.00 for shipping the used bar and later the kit that is supposed to be minus the flaw. It doesn’t seem right to me that I pay shipping on the warranty replacement parts. No other company does this.

A week and a half later I received the used bar which is of a different size and of no use whatsoever. A couple more weeks go by and I JUST received the new kit minus some important parts for the installation. I am still unable to put this thing back on the road as the parts received don’t match up with the parts from the other kit.

They didn’t want to send the complete kit in an effort to save a few cents in the warranty replacement so I get crap that doesn’t work together and am unable to use my rig mid season without investing in something else to hold me over.

Their service sucks BALLS.

I will update as or if this issue corrects itself or Steve at ORO steps up and replaces a flawed product the way he should.
    Disappointed.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Eric, I agree with you. If the know they have a design flaw, why should the customer have to pay for the failure. As a vendor they can write off the R&D expenses in tax credits instead of trying to pass this along to the customer. It's companies like this that will find it hard to stay afloat during these trouble times as people truely begin to purchase products supported by the vendor.

I am assuming this is a torsion bar style sway bar?

Well Take care.

Comment

Taht sucks Eric i was gonna do sway lock, I didnt like the Currie one i had so i went to a stock X sway bar with JKS discos ill wait for the other makers to spit out some Dual rate Sway bars wich is what i want.

Hopefully this gets handled they should have just swapped you out for the new design and cut there losses

Someday these companys will relaize what a negitave report on a forum can do to their sales numbers

good luck
      [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

That's too bad. I was there when it broke. No bang, clank or nothing, it just fell on the ground. Real customer service is damn near dead, and that makes me sad.

Erik, Post this in the "Vendor reviews" section also, just to get somemore hits.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I put on the SkyJacker Rocklock system
          I have to get out and turn something 90 degrees. but it has lasted 2 years with just just a few tweaks in the arms.
          I bent one arm early on and SkyJacker sent me a replacement. I still have it in the package as the last one is bent but still works as advertised.
          Overall I think we are still all looking for that holy grail of disconnect. I use the Rocklock but would think a redesign is needed for anyone taking trails that mean max articulation.
          censored for having an opinion

Comment

I still think simple stupid is the way to go.
            Currie antirock is not the ultimate answer but does what it says it does. Works better than no swaybar on the street( more body roll than I like, Yet I tackle freeway on ramps at 50mph before it starts to slide)
            pretty good articulation and not to much body roll on the trail. It's simple and a reasonable compromise in on and offroad drivability

Comment

My ORO sway-loc broke also. Sounds like a similar failure and when I talked them on the phone about the photos I emailed, they agreed that my "first generation" design had that problem. Here is where mine broke:

They sent me the new part for $50, and it worked. I was okay with it, because mine had been wheeled extensively for a few years before it failed. Well, possibly, it was broken when I bought the Jeep but I didn't know it, so it could have been the very first time it was used, I just don't know. Here is the new piece:

Either way, I got what I needed fast and fairly cheap, and they are still in buisness so I was happy that I wasn't deadended into buying a new set-up altogether.

The new piece does seem to rectify the problem, and over all, I really like how the product works. It's just too cool to flip a pnuematic switch and presto, instant articulation.
              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Working...
              X