Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HR 875 - Messin' with our foodz

H.R. 875, the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009

To establish the Food Safety Administration within the Department of Health and Human Services to protect the public health by preventing food-borne illness, ensuring the safety of food, improving research on contaminants leading to food-borne illness, and improving security of food from intentional contamination, and for other purposes.
    http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h875/show

Sounds like they care, right? Guess again. Who's lobbying for this? MONSANTO. (and that's from our censoring friends at wikipedia. search the web for much more info!)

More info:
    http://www.jbs.org/index.php/health-...ernization-act

CONTACT YOUR REPS TODAY!

Want to know more about Monsanto, GM (genetically modified) foods, pesticides, and the food industry? Watch this amazing video:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...95188693165078
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Clicked on the deal in the More Info link and sent my letter.

Comment

I'm not one for "organic" (low-yield, high price) crops, but I am definitely one who believes that the federal government already has it's hands into too many things, and giving even more food/production/crop control is something I don't want!

People, call/write your reps and tell them to keep the federal government's hands out of our state cookie jars!

(Sorry Sarah, I think GovTrack looks so much better than OpenCongress...):
      http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-875
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Thanks! And this bill goes way beyond what's organic or not, just to clarify. It's creating MORE government agencies spending MORE of our tax dollars.

Please keep sending letters! We don't have much at all in life if we don't have reliable food. Look into it for yourselves if you have to.

Comment

NO! to Senate Bill 425

This goes along with HR 875:

S.B. 425
          111th Congress

Food Safety and Tracking Improvement Act

A bill to amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to provide for the establishment of a traceability system for food, to amend the Federal Meat Inspection Act, the Poultry Products Inspections Act, the Egg Products Inspection Act, and the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to provide for improved public health and food safety through enhanced enforcement, and for other purposes.

Make the call: Representative and Senators U.S. Capitol switch board, 202-224-3121; President - White House switch board , 202- 456-1414

Best, Max7
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Google pulls Monsanto video.

Google pulled this Monsanto video in three days.

WHY?....

Here is another site you can watch it on:

http://dandelionsalad.wordpress.com/...ee-full-video/

Stop this before the President gets a chance to sign it !

CONTACT YOUR REPS TODAY!

http://www.votervoice.net/Core.aspx?...3aAPP%3dGAC%24

or call: (Representatives and Senators - U.S. Capitol switch board, 202-224-3121; President - White House switch board , 202- 456-1414)

Best, Max7
            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
              I'm not one for "organic" (low-yield, high price) crops...
              Everything used to be "organic" it was just agriculture, now to get what we used to get it is called "organic". The reason it is low-yield, high price is because no one demands it anymore. The film is worth watching.

You will never be able to have a vegetable garden or fruit tree in your yard if this passes.

H.R. 875: Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009

This is an excerpt from the text of the bill (status: Introduced in House).

(14) FOOD PRODUCTION FACILITY- The term ‘food production facility’ means any farm, ranch, orchard, vineyard, aquaculture facility, or confined animal-feeding operation.

Best, Max7

Comment

"(14) FOOD PRODUCTION FACILITY- The term ‘food production facility’ means any farm, ranch, orchard, vineyard, aquaculture facility, or confined animal-feeding operation."

How am I gonna feed my dog?
                :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Rutt-ro !

Comment

Call your Rep!

Just called Congressman Lewis's office in D.C. and voiced my concern and opposition to H.R. 875 and S.B. 425. I also requested Congress Lewis to watch the Monsanto video, he now has the web address!
                    It only took 2 mins.
                    Best, Max7

Comment

Hey Max, me too. Still waiting on a response from him from a few days ago. Go figure. Let me know if you hear anything back.

Comment

HR 875 does not stop at intent.

April 2, 2009

Dear Mr. Max7:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 875, the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009. I appreciate your thoughts on the issue and the opportunity to respond.

As you are aware, this legislation would consolidate the food safety responsibilities of the Department of Agriculture (DOA) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) into the Food Safety Administration to be administered by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). Additionally, this legislation would create new requirements, processes, and restrictions for various areas of the food production process, with the intent being to increase our nation’s food safety.

H.R. 875 was introduced on February 4th, 2009 by my colleague, Representative Rosa DeLauro, and referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce and the House Committee on Agriculture. Please rest assured that I take our nation’s food safety very seriously and will certainly keep your views in mind and give thoughtful consideration to any legislation addressing this serious issue.

Once again, thank you for getting in touch. Please feel free to do so again on this or any other issue in the future.

Sincerely,

Jerry Lewis
                        Member of Congress

"with the intent being to increase our nation’s food safety." HR 875 does not stop at intent. Unfortunately Congressman Lewis clearly supports it HR 875.

Best, Max7

Comment

Originally posted by Max7 View Post
                          April 2, 2009

Dear Mr. Max7:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 875, the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009. I appreciate your thoughts on the issue and the opportunity to respond.

As you are aware, this legislation would consolidate the food safety responsibilities of the Department of Agriculture (DOA) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) into the Food Safety Administration to be administered by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). Additionally, this legislation would create new requirements, processes, and restrictions for various areas of the food production process, with the intent being to increase our nation’s food safety.

H.R. 875 was introduced on February 4th, 2009 by my colleague, Representative Rosa DeLauro, and referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce and the House Committee on Agriculture. Please rest assured that I take our nation’s food safety very seriously and will certainly keep your views in mind and give thoughtful consideration to any legislation addressing this serious issue.

Once again, thank you for getting in touch. Please feel free to do so again on this or any other issue in the future.

Sincerely,

Jerry Lewis
                          Member of Congress

"with the intent being to increase our nation’s food safety." HR 875 does not stop at intent. Unfortunately Congressman Lewis clearly supports it HR 875.

Best, Max7
                          Your high-desert representative sounds like a real winner... :bonk::bonk::bonk:
                          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

HEY! I got that same form letter today too. Shall we call his office tomorrow?
                            PLEASE DO! 202-225-5861

This guy is NOT a CONSERVATIVE!

Comment

Called Washington again and again.

I called Washington and left another message for Lewis demanding that he devote more consideration to opposing HR 875 the way it is written. I asked specifically for him to acknowledge that, "food production facilities" is not defined. I also asked why he is working with a Democrat on this House Resolution? Even Congresswoman Delauro's office was surprised Lewis seemed to be in support, being a Republican. I sometimes wonder if he is? He is certainly not a Conservative... your right Sarah!

In the letter I received from Congressman Lewis he stated, "H.R. 875 was introduced on February 4th, 2009 by my colleague, Representative Rosa DeLauro"

I also called the Democratic Steering Chair Rosa DeLauro in Washington. Phone: 202-225-3661 Her office said there was a lot of misinformation about HR 875 and suggested I visit http://delauro.house.gov/. I down loaded the pdf for the "myths and facts" sheet and I read it.

I called Representative Rosa DeLauro's office back and asked who wrote the myths and facts sheet.
                              Answer: Her staff, with her oversight. So they are her facts, right? Is that a fact?

I was able to convey to her office that I believe that even thought there is no wording to suggest that HR 875 will shut down back yard gardens, or put the small farm out of business, etc., by leaving the "door open" to interpretation and not defining what "food production facilities" means is irresponsible. HR 875 does nothing to insure protection of back yard gardens, or put the small farm out of business, etc.
                              The assistant that I spoke to was receptive agreed that the suggestion was valid. Time will tell.

"H.R. 875, the Food Safety Modernization Act, hasn't received much press, but it deserves a closer look. The bill would establish a Food Safety Administration that would be the product of a merger of the USDA and parts of the FDA. It would regulate "food production facilities," an undefined term that could mean any food producer from Archer Daniels Midland on down to the local vegetable stand. The bill could wrap farmers up in so much bureaucratic red tape that they will no longer be able to operate effectively, if at all."

Source: http://patriotpost.us/

Best, Max7

Comment

Working...
                              X